Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #15

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Do keep us posted, very interested.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #16

Got my current model number, serial number, product number to them. We'll see what they come up with.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #17

Four bolts and a few wires then throw it off the roof. Penguin 11 with heat.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #18

Here's the 15k model that they said will replace what I have. It's a Duo Therm Brisk II:

Dometic B59516 XX1C0 15 000 BTU RV AC with Inside Assembly B57916 | eBay

$679 shipped to me from ebay complete with new inner panel. I guess I'd still need a seal kit and the new thermostat. So I'm guessing about $1600 and I'd have all new units and controls.

The one with a heat pump was almost $900, so $200 more each is a lot of propane that I'd have to use just to break even.

NEW: been poking around the internet and various places have it for about $560, shipped with the inner panel running about $45, seal about $15 and the thermostat around $100. So I may squeak it down to $1400 or so. We'll see if I can hunt around the internet and find cheaper. But I doubt it.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:05 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
As a last resort if all other control options peter out-Honeywell makes a wireless multistage heat/cool thermostat- not cheap but can be programmed for multi stages etc.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:05 AM   #20
Commercial Member

In the Dometic ac replacement field here are the issues. If you replace one ac all boards on the other units must be updated. A 4 button can be updated to a 5 button tstat board and 4 button tstat will need to be changed to a 5 button. So if you have a 4 button ac system and a board or ac goes out you will need to update all ac units tied to that tstat. Now if you buy a new ac it is setup for the new 10/12 button tstat and will need to be changed to a 5 button board. A 4 button system should never be setup with a 10 button tstat. The new ac is setup completely different. If you replace all of your ac units you can easily set it up for the 10 button. The Dometic units are great units just a little more advanced than most. The penguin heat pump is an excellent unit.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #21

Like I said at first, I'll just replace both units and get the new 12-button thermostat.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure it's got enough wires for the thermostat?
There are two hard parts:
1) Determining compatibility and getting the right units / lower ducting
2) Getting the new units on the roof

The rest is pretty easy.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Are you sure it's got enough wires for the thermostat.
He does if going from 4 to 5 button stat. Don't know about 10 or 12 button.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #24

Emailing with Dometic, I was told my new units/thermostat would go right in place and connect as my old ones did. I will be calling them to get a verbal verification on all of this before I make any purchase. After looking where my thermostat is, I may have to go with the 5-button one just because of the room in the recess in the wall that it's mounted in. Looks like all made by National RV at that time had it designed that way.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
Emailing with Dometic, I was told my new units/thermostat would go right in place and connect as my old ones did. I will be calling them to get a verbal verification on all of this before I make any purchase. After looking where my thermostat is, I may have to go with the 5-button one just because of the room in the recess in the wall that it's mounted in. Looks like all made by National RV at that time had it designed that way.
When you disconnect the cable from the back of the thermostat don't let it drop into the wall or you will be fishing it out like I did.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #26

Point well taken. I've done that before. It's not a fun job.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
Commercial Member

If you are going from 4 to 5 button let who ever you are ordering the units know what you are doing so they can order correctly. If you order a new air it will come set up for 10 button.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #28

I called one place and told them the model number I wanted and I needed the upper unit along with the seal. They quoted me for the units and then started telling me how I needed control adapter units that didn't come with the upper unit. What the heck would that be? I would think a new upper unit would come ready to go, especially if it's going to be connected to a new thermostat. I may have to call Dometic to make sure I'm getting the right stuff that'll hook up to the wiring that I currently have in the wall and make sure I'm buying just what I need. I can get both upper units for $900 brand new with the seals, but that's it. No inside anything and no thermostat. I wish I wasn't on the road right now. Internet is sketchy at best so it's tough to connect with everyone I want to.

Tags
roof, replace, ace