Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
How hard to replace roof a/c units?

Hi, I have a 1999 Dolphin with two original Dometic 13.5 units. I also have the original 4-button thermostat control.

The rear unit has finally given up. The front one appears to be working OK, but cannot keep the whole coach cool, especially here in Nevada right now (104 degrees!!).

I know Dometic uses a phone jack style wire/connector between the units and they are for cooling only as I have a separate furnace. Coach also has ductwork in the ceiling.

I am quite competent working on everything, and I've watched the several videos on youtube on replacing units, sooooo, I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on how hard it is to replace these units.

I got a couple of quotes and they want, basically, around $3K for everything. I've seen various units online for as little as $550 to around $1200 each.

I think that I would just get new Dometics, 15K units front and back for maximum cooling. Should I stick with using the ducts, or get newer ductless units as I was told that they are more efficient and have less cooling loss?

Anybody know if one Dometic style unit is better than another? For instance, are the low-profile Penguins better than the older style looking Brisk Air2 units?

Also, can I upgrade to the new 12-button thermostat without any issues?

Any advice would be appreciated.

70gsconvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll have to check compatibility of new units with the old thermostat. If you only replace one A/C, the conflict might be between the new, old, and the thermostat. In that case you'd need a new control board for the old A/C you're planning on keeping. I personally like the ducted units, I think they're quieter and move the air to more locations than the ductless ones.

Removing and replacing the unit on the roof is just a matter of screwdrivers, it's the lifting on and off the roof that might need an assistant.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
I was just going to replace both units as their both 16+ years old now. I was told that as long as I stay with Dometic I could use the old thermostat by re-setting it by turning the thermostat off, pushing the top and bottom buttons together and holding and then turning it back on. But I thought, new units, new thermostat to go with them.

Other than that it looks to be just unhook power and unplug interface cable, unscrew them, reomve from the roof, get new seal kits with them, set them in place, re-attach power and interface cable, screw them back down and away I'll go.

I will be foil-taping all the joints and parts that I can. I found a red rag stuffed in the one that's still working. Looks like they were trying to keep the exhaust air and intake/cooled air from mixing. Boobs. I hate people that do stuff like that instead of spending a few extra minutes and doing it right.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thermostat wiring may be only 4 leads, if so there is a work around for the heat, unless the heaters have their own thermostat.

i replaced our roof top carriers last year with coleman mach HP units. I had to run new 6 strand wiring but that was only becasue the heater wires were in the ceiling
mine came with thermostats, in the box.
might ask your retailer how they ship.
mine came straight from the factory and were boxed different than if my local rv repair center had received them from the local supply wholesaler
plus coleman covered the shipping to my dealer
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy to replace a AC. The easiest way to get it on top is to get a pickup. The taller the better. sit the AC on the bed. Sit a 2X8 across the bed. Get a friend and lift it on to the roof of the motorhome. If it has a rubber roof use thick cardboard or a moving blanket to protect the roof.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
I agree it is easy to replace rooftop A/C units. The key is the temp control system. We are installing a new Dometic Brisk Air II unit, replacing a 10 year old rear Colman unit. Dometic makes a connection kit between the new Brisk Air II and the old Colman/Intellitec temp system. Have not done the install yet, but the instructions are very clear and straight forward. Believe it will go ok. Have installed a Brisk Air II for the front a/c. Works great. Have a duct system, both units will work well with it.
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A piece of advice. I do not know if you ever use your MH when it is cooler outside but you might consider a heat pump. I have them on my coach and they keep the coach warm down to around 35 degrees with no problem. Since I am parked in a campground using their electricity I would rather use the heat pumps than the propane for furnaces.
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the heat pumps .
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
The coach just has one thermostat that controls everything. The way it was explained to me, wiring goes to the front a/c unit, which then goes to the rear unit and another wire goes from the thermostat to the furnace.

Generally don't camp when it's "cold" out. By the end of October the RV's put away. And my wife like's it like a meat locker in there for sleeping.

The furnace works great and I don't think I'm using more than $5 worth on a weekend, so no big deal. I think I'll call Dometic and see what unit they recommend that'll be the simplest to interface with the wiring I currently have. I guess I can always run new wiring in the ducts, but if they have a setup where I can use the current wiring, all the better.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Keep us posted on you progress.
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I upgraded from the Dometic 4 button to the 5 button Comfort Control with the original A/C's in my 99 Dolphin. With the 5 button or 12 button control you will need to replace the control boxes in the return duct of each A/C. I have electric heating coils in each AC plus the Propane furnace. I got the P/N's for the control boxes from Dometic, searched on line and bought them much cheaper on line including the 5 button control then what Dometic want for them.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
A piece of advice. I do not know if you ever use your MH when it is cooler outside but you might consider a heat pump. I have them on my coach and they keep the coach warm down to around 35 degrees with no problem. Since I am parked in a campground using their electricity I would rather use the heat pumps than the propane for furnaces.
Yep, heat pumps for us too even though we have the AquaHot 600 (2 2000 watt elec elements & 50,000 btu diesel), and elec. heated tile floor.
In areas like the Pacific North Wet heat pumps are very well suited to the climate.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
X3 on the heat pumps....well worth the extra money...
1999 HR Endeavor 37WDS
Handicapped Lift Equiped
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #14
I contacted Dometic to see what they recommend. I'll look into the new units with heat pumps and see what the $$ difference is.

roof, replace, ace