Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
how high should class a rear wheel flap be off the ground

We took our new Tuscany 40 bx home last week and had ground some rubber off on way home. I raised it to 2" and wonder if that is high enough. What height would you recommend it be set at?
Thx.
Ed
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

how high should class a rear wheel flap be off the ground

I think you'll find that 4" -5" is what most mfg. of flaps advise.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

I believe the flap should be a minimum of 4" above the pavement on level ground with the coach aired up.
Lower and it will rub often and the flap will blow up gravel onto the toad.

EDIT: and Cliff wins the typing race.lol
Old 09-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

For mine, it was just high enough to get it over the lip of the scrap bin.
Since I removed it, I have a lot less debris and road slime on the back of the coach and toad. JMHO,
Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
For mine, it was just high enough to get it over the lip of the scrap bin.

Since I removed it, I have a lot less debris and road slime on the back of the coach and toad. JMHO,

Yep. Gone. No more chips.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Community Moderator

dennis and dave, did you say you removed the whole mud flapper (cross the whole width of the rig)? i thought to do it the other day because it creates a pressure when in motion forcing the engine exhausted air/smoke to find a way to get inside.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
dennis and dave, did you say you removed the whole mud flapper (cross the whole width of the rig)? i thought to do it the other day because it creates a pressure in motion forcing the engine exhausted air/smoke to find a way to get inside.

Yep. I stored it in one of the slide out trays. No good to me at all.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
dennis and dave, did you say you removed the whole mud flapper (cross the whole width of the rig)? i thought to do it the other day because it creates a pressure when in motion forcing the engine exhausted air/smoke to find a way to get inside.

I took mine off during our Alaska trip in Whitehorse, YK. Had stones and debris all over the toad every day. Our caravan trek master recommended removing the flap so I took it off and left it with the campground manager with the intention of picking it up on the way back. Well, the stones etc disappeared and on the way back, I asked the campground manager to put it in his dumpster. I have no intention of putting it back. Many others will tell you the same results from removing the rear flap.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #9

Wow, I would have given more credit to the rear flap So you guys are confident that the toad and coach is better off without it? The rear flap must be the gallbladder of the coach... don't really need it and better off without it

Very interesting. Any others out there that removed their rear flap and saw improvements?

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #10

Years ago we had a pickup and bumper pull camper. I made some nice big removable flaps to keep the camper in better shape since we drove some miles of rock roads to get to the lake and when I stared using the flaps, small stones were all over the front hitch, LP tanks and everywhere stones could lay around. The whole front end of the camper was just getting pelted with stones. Never had that before the flaps so the flaps soon went away.
All I could figure was that the stones that the tires picked up hit the flaps, got bounced down to the road surface and then really bounced up to the camper font end. If you are going to pull a toad, I would remove it while the toad is in good shape.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Community Moderator

this is interesting. seeing you guys are ahead of me and have already done it!!
i will do the same - resolve my issue with added benefits
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
My flap is about 10" above grade and I have no problems with junk being thrown on the toad. I also have flaps behind the rear wheels
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
My flap is about 10" above grade and I have no problems with junk being thrown on the toad. I also have flaps behind the rear wheels

The flaps behind the rear wheels is key. These should be set up so they just clear the ground when you dump the air Or, about 4" off the ground at travel height.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The flaps behind the rear wheels is key. These should be set up so they just clear the ground when you dump the air Or, about 4" off the ground at travel height.

Yep. And rear wheel flaps is all that is needed. The full-width flap in the back is a junk-spreading advertisement, and nothing more.
After I took it off, the last 8000 miles made me say "holy moly, why did I wait so long"!