Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
What Ed means is (and I suspect most of you already know this) that it is difficult for some of us old-timers to read a whole lot of words all bunched together.

Seperating (like this) and breaking them up into smaller groups enables the eyes to see them more clearly, thus allowing the brain to comprehend their meaning,
which in turn, conveys the important wisdom the writer wishes to present.

And by the way, OP, thanks for the valuable info, as now I have some insight as to fixing my handling problems.

As for the slipring stuff, great info. I have been a mechanic for 45yrs, and could 'mentally' repair just about anything that comes along. But.... now my arthritis and bad back won't allow it anymore, so I just end up paying someone to fix most things for me.

See...this was all ED was talking about....just a little spreading out.
Wayyyyyyy tooooo much of that "spreading out" is going on in my case !

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bbattey,

This thread the writer was talking about was a Ford chassis. I can't comment on that subject.

You talked about a P-30 chassis and I can sure talk about that (a Chev- Mor-ryde, tag axle 33' 1986).

I tried alignments (2), shocks, air bags, new tires, etc trying to keep it in one lane on the highway- forget it!

After I dropped it off for a third time at the truck alignment shop, I got a call from the tech in about 45 minutes after I had given him the vehicle. He said, and it was music to my ears, "I think I found the problem"-. Come 'on back and drive it. It was a totally different vehicle- In an outstanding way!

All he did was to tighten the adjusting screw on the Saginaw Steering gear. He said I ended up going one full turn (clockwise) and that seemed to do it- well it did- .
He also recommended that if you try it, you go 1/4 turn at a time, test drive it until it feels good and then quit. If you go too far, it will get "squirrley". It has a lock nut and an allen head screw, and it sits right on top of the steering "Box".

It had about 24.000 miles on it when all this was done. I sold it with about 43.000 miles on it 6 years later. It would track straight, and sway from trucks was eliminated. Don't get me wrong, I could still could feel trucks passing me but it wasn't a "white knuckle" correcting experience anymore.

Good luck,

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #31

For F53 owners, here is a quick fix for sway problems that seems to work. Pics of front mod at post #128.

Cheap Handling Fix
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #32

One thing to think about with that age is to check with a spring shop about your springs. That is some weight to be carting around and springs do get weak. A re-arch or replacement might help with rocking, if needed.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #33

I usually try to make things my self and your slip ring repair was great. Thanks and although I have bad crs this will be filed in my mental vault.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #34

If your CRS is as bad as mine, you will find it hard to find your vault. If I take something apart with 4 bolts, there will always be one missing bolt when I go to put it back put it together... always.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
OK...if there is an Harbor Freight near you, or even a Wally World, buy one (or more, I have 2) of those little stainless steel pans that have magnets on the bottom. They stick to something you are working on, and you just throw the bolts in it.

When I was wrenching, "back in the day", I stole a muffin tin from the DW's kitchen. I used 2 old speaker magnets under it, and that way I could seperate all the different nuts & bolts when I took something all apart. Like engine heads with intake manifold bolts, exhaust manifold bolts, carburetor bolts, head bolts, etc. etc.

It made the job of re-assembly SO MUCH easier. Someone copied my idea and now you can but the trays. I coulda been a millionaire.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
For F53 owners, here is a quick fix for sway problems that seems to work. Pics of front mod at post #128.

Cheap Handling Fix
I had somewhat the same experience with my '89 Pace Arrow on an F53 chassis that was really sick in the handling department.I cut 4.5 inches off the ends of the sway bars,ground the ends of the bar flat and drilled through the flattened ends to accept the sway bar links.The sway bar links required one hole each to be drilled in the frame and I used the original frame hole for the other end of the link bracket. The difference was well worth the time involved.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #37

I have some speaker and rare earth magnets. I could epoxy or super glue them onto a muffin pan. I usually put screws in a soap dish, but somehow the troll under my work bench finds a way to grab them, and he won't give them back.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-redneck View Post
Can I install an aftermarket track bar without paragraphs?
No.

Here's the "pairagraphs" you'll need.
Buy lots!
You never know when you're gonna need 'em...

Francesca
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #39

Wow! That's a nice pair.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just can't stand nit picking people. Someone asks for advice, if you can't give him advice on his problem, just don't say anything.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #41

I really hope that was in jest. I don't see any smilies.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #42
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually that was very helpful. Turns out I was able to fabricate my own pairagraphs and save a bundle.

*Thanks!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

« Air bags | leveling »