Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
How Important is Double Pane Windows? (Jaycee Precept 31UL & others)

I was curious if anyone had an opinion on how important double pane windows might be on a coach? In looking at the Jayco Precept 31UL I noticed it is all single pane glass, albeit frameless and tinted. (But for insulation value that means nothing).

I'm speaking more of high temperature camping than winter camping in this regard. Has anyone tried living with both and noticed a significant difference in inside temperature and the need to run the A/C a lot more because of double pane (or lack thereof)? Or is it NBD?
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Deal breaker for us!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had both and the additional ac use offsets the cost of repairing fogged dual panes. Not all dual panes fog but a LOT do. This site and others all have ads for repair company's.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never buy any RV without double-pane windows!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This about sums it up.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most likely the biggest window in the coach for heat loss or heat gain is not a double pane window. That being the windshield. Have never scene a double pane windshield. Not saying that double pane is bad, but only the upper levels will most likely have them. Not going to lose sleep over not having them.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

Actually rgmiller, our 2014 Phaeton does have a double pane windshield. I learned this when we were hit by a rock and I had to call to have it repaired and the Safeguard repairman told me that Tiffin uses a double pane windshield made overseas. There is no space between the panes. The stone did not break the inside pane.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

The dual pane works great both for temperature and sound. Plus Newmar uses a thicker windshield and the MCD shades keep the heat out.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Actually rgmiller, our 2014 Phaeton does have a double pane windshield. I learned this when we were hit by a rock and I had to call to have it repaired and the Safeguard repairman told me that Tiffin uses a double pane windshield made overseas. There is no space between the panes. The stone did not break the inside pane.
To be DOT compliant, I believe all windshields are laminated...two pieces of glass with lamination (Thin film to separate the two piece of glass but also to keep them connected) between the two. Usually dual pane indicates two pieces of glass with a void (air/argon) between the two.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
bah. frameless windows are way better in the cold that double glazed aluminum framed windows. Glass is a far better thermal insulator than aluminum is.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I all the work in truck repair and fire rescue I have only seen laminated windshields and not a double pane. Would love to have the manufacture and spec/dot numbers off it to look into it more.

With a laminated window you can crack the one layer and not the other. If you get a stone chip the outer layer will crack and spider and the inside layer will be like new. New cars and trucks are getting laminated side windows as well.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Absolutely. we ordered a new Safari Trek in the fall of 1994, but had to wait until January 1995 to get the double pane windows we ordered to come off of back order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #13

When looking for a coach 2 yrs ago I thought I'd prefer dual pane windows. Of the Dual panes I saw,about half had broken seals between the panes. One 2002 Beaver had the tint all blotchy from the vapor. The Dutch Star had single panes,but the day/night shades and Newmar insulation with the twin 15K heat pumps, it stays nice & comfy in the Texas summertime.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

FWIW the R value of single pane glass is ~ 0.91. Double pane ~1.6. A foam filled wall should be greater than 10. How much depends on materials and thickness. If you are worried about insulation the answer is less window and more wall. Sky lights and vents are probably the worst heat losses.

This might be interesting:

ColoradoENERGY.org - R-Value Table
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window