Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

How level does the coach need to be?

Because of what we were told early on, we are pretty anal about making sure the coach is level before we put the slides out. We use the shower door to make the determination. If it doesn't move in any position, we declare victory.

There are times when we can't quite get the coach level to those criteria. Is there a tolerance, or a guide, to determine if it is okay to open the slides when the coach is not quite level?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Honestly, our owner's guide (Country Coach) warns to put the slides out BEFORE leveling. That may be a function of us having air bags and not jacks. In our previous coach (Winnebago 35L) we did have jacks, and we did our best to level prior to putting the slides out. There were times when the site was to irregular to perfectly level, and we went ahead and put out the slides with no ill effect. I don't think you have to get it absolutely perfect. In fact, the biggest problem we had with not being level was if it meant that DH would roll too far onto my side!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gator67,
I use several methods to determine if the coach is level. However, the final arbiter is the refrigerator door. Open the door 45*, 90* and another 45*. If the door just sits there in all three positions, your good to go. For me, I'd not use the shower door. I see no correlation between the shower door and how the refrigerator is mounted.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi gator67,
I use several methods to determine if the coach is level. However, the final arbiter is the refrigerator door. Open the door 45*, 90* and another 45*. If the door just sits there in all three positions, your good to go. For me, I'd not use the shower door. I see no correlation between the shower door and how the refrigerator is mounted.
That's a good point; I read somewhere that the best way to check the level of your coach was to put the level on the floor of the refer.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ideally you need to level to the freezer floor in the fig.. Once you see when this is level, take some other readings with a 6" bubble level, like the kitchen cabinet, a hard floor surface and in the future level to this.

Ken
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just read the specs on the necessary level of the frig. It is 3 degrees one direction and 6 degrees the other, I never decided which way was which. However, with 3 degrees you are noticeably not level inside the coach. So level until you are comfortable and you are good to go.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Ideally you need to level to the freezer floor in the fig.. Once you see when this is level, take some other readings with a 6" bubble level, like the kitchen cabinet, a hard floor surface and in the future level to this.

Ken
Very smart way to do it.
I would add to shut off the refer if you are going to be parked for more than a few minutes. You and your fridge will have a long, happy relationship if you do this.
Failure to do this is expensive
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #8

Just me, but being level would mean more to me regarding proper refer operation than operating the slide? Operating the slide would be more about insuring the coach wasn't twisted - therefore the request that it be leveled prior to it's use? Once leveled the coach generally will be all squared up and supported properly.

I use a bubble level on the freezer floor, leveling the coach using that. Then, because our freezer is generally packed on the road and hard to get to, after leveling using the freezer floor, I'll move the level around the coach to find other areas that are also level. Those other spots found will then be used in the future for leveling - without having to clear the freezer floor.

When unable to level for whatever reason, I generally will accept half the bubble as close enough....

We use the little round ones. FWIW
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
So, what's with shutting off the refer....
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by printernot View Post
So, what's with shutting off the refer....
RV gas absorption refrigerators work by boiling ammonia that starts out in a leveling chamber. Modern ones need to be "reasonably" level to work correctly and to extend their life. Most will shut themselves off if way off level. While moving this is not an issue since the liquid is moving around not staying in an off level state.

I think the only time you would need to shut down the fridge is if when you initially get parked the terrain makes the rig way out of level. Then after using your jacks or whatever method turn it back on.

This is a pretty good explanation of how they work if anyone is interested Gas Electric Refrigerators
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have auto levels that almost always leave the curb side down "a bit" We always are able to get level so the bubble is mostly in the circle. The final determiner is whether the medicine cabinet door (mounted on the far rear wall of the coach) will stay open unassisted. This makes DW happy, if DW is happy everyone is happy, including the refer!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
This makes DW happy, if DW is happy everyone is happy, including the refer!
You are a wise man.