Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
How Long ???

I've had some issues with our main slide. We finally got them all worked so that we are not fighting to get it out. My question is how long does it take for your slide to extend ? Ours is taking 20 - 25 seconds. Not the end of the world at all but we just want to know if this timeframe is normal.

Part of the reason I'm asking is that we are not the original owners and for most of our ownership it has had extending issues.

Thanks

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We have one slide in the living room and that seems to be about right, maybe a little slow but it continues to go in and out at the speed I would leave well enough alone and live with it.

Every manufacturer has different gearing and different style of functions so if it works well, I would not worry about and enjoy.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

Lsc9901,
Do you open your door and some windows when extending/retracting your slides? If not, I suggest that you try it. A friend suggested that to me and it makes a big difference.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

I've found that most dealers don't have a clue how to adjust the travel on a slide... I found that by going to the web site of the chassis builder in the case of a trailer or the web site of the coach builder and follow their suggestions... on my unit it was always in a bind... I finally quit using the dealer.. and followed the outline on the vendors web site... took me almost 3 hours of tinkering.. and its finally right and has never worked better.... I'm sure there's some great tech's out there... but for this I didn't find one...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no idea if we ever have the door or any windows open and I can't imagine why that would help ..... but it's worth a shot.

Even before I posted this thread I had requested info from Fleetwood concerning my slide. It is all fairly generic and gives no details concerning adjustments. I'll check the Power Gear/Lippert site but I'm sure they will have nothing. My guess is that they provide that system to several different manufacturers.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

Well I can tell you that my slides seals work very well and when extending them the slides are trying to suck air into the coach. Conversely, when retracting it's expelling air. If the door and windows are open, there's less resistance.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #7

Lippert has several videos on the adjustment of the slides... and good detailed photos... honestly, when my slides pull away from the seal when the slide is closed.... while its moving... there is a 1/2" gap around the slide until its complete out against the second slide... so I have no clue on my unit why windows need to be open... my seals are attached to the slide.... where it touches the side of the RV...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #8

I have "the mother of all electric slides". A full wall slide on the street side. Good point having door and/or windows when opening/closing. The electric slides are SLOW, just like hydraulic slides. No way your going to speed them up. I'd watch other rigs open their slides. Will give you an idea of the speed of the slides.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Is there any lube required? One of my slides, ok, the biggest and heaviest, seems like the motor is straining.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Does you coach have basement cargo bays on the slide out? Ours does and after owning it for a few years we found out there is only supposed to be 300lbs or less in them. Had to have about $2500 worth of work done to repair that slide because it was actually bowed and would rip the carpet when retracted. They had to weld in a piece of iron to straighten it and attach what they call a "shoe" made of custom shaped stainless steel to have it glide better on the way in. I don't think it made it any faster but the new carpet likes it better.

As for the weight in the cargo bays beneath, I had to do some rearranging to get heavy items out of those bays.

Slide outs do seem to be one of those RV things lots of people have problems with.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #11

Mark,
My full wall slide has those odd brackets that support the rear corners of the compartment under the slide. They are narrow to clear support rollers on the arms when retracting. One of the brackets needs replaced but not to sure where to get one. Any ideas?

Tony
You can get a special "slide lube" from places like CW. You should NOT use any other type of lubricant. It ends up attracting dirt and dust. About one/month I'll climb under the slide & give all three slide arms a good spray of slide lube before retracting.

So far, So good. (knock on wood)

RM
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Mark,
My full wall slide has those odd brackets that support the rear corners of the compartment under the slide. They are narrow to clear support rollers on the arms when retracting. One of the brackets needs replaced but not to sure where to get one. Any ideas?

RM
I don't believe our slide works the same. It's an HWH hydraulic mechanism. The arms slide in on nylon bushings. Some people have had the bushings crack or wear out but I have a bulletin from HWH with drawings of how to check for wear and ours look OK. There are threaded hangers that support the cargo compartments. One of them snapped before the repairs were made so I just added a small section.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My rails are pretty clean. That was an issue that has prompted all my questions. Last fall it got to the point where I had to physically push the slide to get it going. Our initial thought was the motor. We did remove it and had it tested and it tested fine. When I told my RV mechanic how difficult it was to manually open the slide he suggested I/we degrease the rails and everything else that was associated with the slid system. After doing that it is working. I have since cleaned it again and may hit it one more time before winter sets in. It seems like our rear slide (smaller) tilts up and then goes out. The main slide doesn't tilt up at all.

I will weigh the junk in our compartments but I really don't see 300 LBS in there.

Jelag do you have a link for the Lippert adjustments ?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My big slides (14' x 30" and 14' x 24") take about 15 seconds each. The smaller bedroom slide about 7-8 seconds. The speed isn't adjustable, so you have to live with the design.

Opening a window does allow air to flow more readily, though I'm not sure it makes much difference in speed or anything else. Between full-open and full-closed, the slide is not sealed tightly and air will blow by the edges. But try it - you will definitely feel the air move through a window or doorway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote