Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #15

A little over two years ago, we bought our 2004 MADP from a private party 1300 miles away (east of Baton Rouge) from our home (SW Colorado). It was our first RV and the first time ever driving one. I flew down alone to pick it up and it took 3.5 days to get home (just me, DW stayed home). Everything worked great and I knew we bought the right coach for us. We have been full-timing since then and nothing has given me the slightest doubt about it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #16

New vs Used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
Very nice! I know you're happy you bought that service contract.

It's certainly a good feeling when you think you've got the "kinks" worked out, but I'm trying not to get too comfortable, well because you can never be sure.

I find it interesting that the responses were predominately from folks that had virtually no issues even though I read daily on the forum of experiences with new coaches that make you shudder, even the high end coaches. I guess it feels good to brag sometimes, I guess if you got it, flaunt it.

Seems like some of the responses could be from used coaches in which the initial “New” items were probably resolved by the previous owner. Seems like it would be better to relate it to new units purchased by the first owners of the coach. Just a thought.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
Seems like some of the responses could be from used coaches in which the initial “New” items were probably resolved by the previous owner. Seems like it would be better to relate it to new units purchased by the first owners of the coach. Just a thought.
True
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:

Good point.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #19

My response was for a new coach out of the box.... And a THOR to boot!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #20

I think they are all lemons you just got enjoy the ride and make lemonade as you go!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin721 View Post
I think they are all lemons you just got enjoy the ride and make lemonade as you go!
Good answer. My answer would be the day after you sell it.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #22

We did spent some time in Decatur last year at the REV Group factory service center for them to look at something on our older coach and got to chat with some people there in for warranty work. Some really crazy stories. Let’s just say, I think your your are in pretty good shape with your Sportscoach.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #23

Quote:
We did spent some time in Decatur last year at the REV Group factory service center for them to look at something on our older coach and got to chat with some people there in for warranty work. Some really crazy stories. Let’s just say, I think your your are in pretty good shape with your Sportscoach.
Thanks, that's how I'm feeling right now reading about so many other people having nightmare type problems with their brand new coaches. Some of the stuff that broke on my coach had nothing to do with the manufacturer, like the thermostats going out on each of the water heaters, that's an Atwood/Dometic issue.

That being said, I really do think most of the problems I have experienced should have been caught at the factory or dealership, but that's another conversation that's been beat to death, and is probably not going to change any time soon.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #24

Our second trip out with our new coach last year was an 11 day, 2500 mile round trip to Disneyland. When we made home with no issues that impacted functionality or usefulness of the coach, I considered that a major win and was satisfied. Rest of the year went great as well with several more trips, just need to adjust the main slide and address some other minor items which Fleetwood is currently doing under warranty but so far very pleased with this entry level coach!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySeal65 View Post
Its been my experience that no mater what you have RVing is what you do between break downs.
Wow that's to bad. Not our experience at all.

To the OP I say about a year. Why?

We bought our rig used and I think you need a full year to really realize exactly where your rig is at, work out issues, fix stuff, make mod's and tweaks on what's needed before you get to where you need to be (new or used). I say a year because the coach has to go through all the different seasons and different driving environments that will force you to use different equipment.

For example...you can't turn on to test the furnace in June, it lights, begins to warm up and then say, "OK, heater works fine". You need to use it for a prolonged period of time—in the cold—to really experience it's efficiency. How are the vents and duck work working, the T-stat, is the burner unit working properly over time, are there any leaks, insulation issues and so forth and so on. This is just one item.

Prolonged boon docking will really test your generator, converter, inverter & batt bay and all the things that runs off them. Solar testing too if you have that.

When buying a used coach, yes an inspection is very important to at least identify what may or may not need attention and whether or not you want to proceed with the purchase. With a new coach a very thorough PDI. But to really put all these systems and the chassis to a true test, this prolonged seasonal and prolonged driving in different camping testing scenarios approach to ALL systems IMO will take about a year.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
for us it was about 4 months and still have problem with my HD channels on direct TV
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After about 2.5 years the number of repairs needed slowed done but..
It never stops. This spring the water pump stopped, the hot water heater had 5 problems at once and the ice maker quit.
This winter so far after 8 inches of down pour rain I may have a FWS leak slowed down.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I'll have to gauge "how much of a lemon" when I make that final payment....don't hold your breath, this is gonna take a few years.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote