Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

Add some weight

I would try to add some weight to the front end, I know it sounds a little strange but after I added 500 lb steel block between the front frame rails there was a huge difference in handling.
This motor home has a large overhang in the back, and a very light front end.
Weight distribution is key ! Try filling the front of the motor home up with at least 500 lbs, adjust tire pressure and see if it makes a difference.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #16

Front Weight Attachment?

Hi Ken,

I'm all for anything thing that will get me close to a one handed drive.
How do you attach a 500lb steel block to the front end of a MH and keep it there in the event of an impact.
I would be very upset if an accident occurred and I had that block in my lap, or God forbid the lap of the DW. I'm pretty sure I would never hear the end of that one.
How did you manage to do that, rubber bands, super glue or welded in?
This is an engineering situation that is above my pay grade.
Please let me know, I'm game if it will help.

As always, thanks for the response,

J R

hooptie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #17

500lbs

If you look between the frame rails down under the generator, there is a cross piece that has a number of holes on the bottom.
I think these were about 3/4" holes, I built a 10"x 10"x 36" steel box, that has 4--3/4" threaded rods welded through the box that matched the holes in the frame cross member and bolted it up. It took a little engineering on my part but I am a welder by trade so it was easy for me.
I also filled up the compartment in the floor between the front seats with some heavier stuff.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #18

weight

I am not saying that you should do this, it is just what worked for me.
Just try to keep all heavy items as close to the front of the coach as possible,
Old 12-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #19

Hooptie,
I don't know if this is your first MH but the MH I currently own is my first.

This is my experience so take it for what its worth.... I had one heck of a time driving my coach at speeds over 60 mph. I had the alignment checked, new tires, Safe-T-Plus, added temporary 500# lead to the front, wore the valve stems out adjusting air pressure, lol

New tires were needed due to the age
The Safe-T-Plus was a good investment for safety reasons and it did help that "push" when semis passed.
The front end was perfect only thing out of spec was the left front tire was 1/4" out of round, which is of no concern.
I set 500 # of lead up front inside my coach and test drove, absolutely no difference.
Then I read a tip from Gary RVRoamer... He said to keep your eyes out at a distance from your coach and not directly down at the road.
Gary's tip and 90# tire pressure saved me from selling that beast. My problem was I was over steering it and just not settling down when driving. I now drive 65 - 70 while pulling my fullsize pickup and pass more semi's than pass me, lol I thought that would never happen but it did and it was just a matter of getting use to it, not over driving it and just relaxing.
My advice, the more you drive it the better you'll drive it.... and keep your eyes looking down the road and not just outside your windshield.
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #20

Loading the Front

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advice, Front pressure is now set to 70 PSI, and I will be loading all I can in the front compartments for travel tomorrow.
We'll see how it works on the way down and I can remove the Safe T Plus on the way home.
That should give a pretty good indication of the difference. If not, I'll start looking for some scrap steel and a good welder.
How long did you own your Allegro Bus?

Thanks again,

J R
Old 12-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #21

Looking Forward

Hi Buckstand,

Great advice, I try to look ahead as much as possible. Learned that lesson on the last RV and it really does work.
This coach like Ken explained, is very light on the front end which makes it very twitchy to drive. I originally wanted to set the front tires to 70 psi and was kinda talked out of doing that. I'm starting a trip tomorrow and we'll see how it works out.

Thanks for taking the time to help out,

J R
Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #22

X2 on looking farther down the road I don't know how to but it but don't steer the coach but point it. A little extra caster in the alignment helps also.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #23

Steering

I owned my allegro bus for 3 years, then I got a great deal on a country coach intrigue !
Old 12-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #24

Rear Tire PSI

Hi Ken,

Since you have been there and done that, do you remember what PSI you were running in the rear tire set. Just curious.

TIA,

J R
Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #25

Weight

Well, it's been a while but I think the rear wheels had to be around 90 or 95 psi

Tags
steering