Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
We are not counting tents or rentals...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>An 89 Bounder from Mid-1988 until May of 1994. The main reason we got rid of it was it had been broken into and every drawer & cabinet had been gone through. I felt violated every time I was in the coach after that.
(Almost 6 years))
<LI>We replaced that Bounder with a 1994 Bounder and kept it until Sep 2006
(12 years)
<LI>In September 2006 we bought our Diplomat...
if the trend continues then we will double the 12 years to 24 years...this looks like it may be the last one we own![/list]

*MonacoMama with the 2 Pins & SacsTC Nearby*
*2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' SFT<>2006 Chevy VortecMax Toad<>2006 Buick Lucerne Leading the Way*
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
1st "real" motorhome - '01 Monaco Knight 30J: Great unit, stationary - drove like a pig on ice and had numerous issues. Finally got sick enough of it after ~2 years we traded it.

'05 Winnie Vectra 36RD. We've had it about 28 months so far, and put about 1000 miles / month on it. Still love it. Fuel economy is lousy with the Cat. Will keep it until we decide on another replacement. Always looking - maybe either a Renegade-type rig or another DP. We need the trailering capacity of a big rig.

'08 View 24H - 5 months old, 5000 miles. Bought it because we plan to do a LOT of traveling and couldn't justfy the 7MPG for the Vectra (which we will will also keep because it has its place in our lifestyle). So far, so good. Will probably wear it out - planning &gt;50K miles/year for the next few.

Norm & Janet

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class A --- 8 years.

I still have my '91 S-10 I bought new.

If they run and look good and have what you want -- keep em!!
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well now you are forcing me to think.

#1. Used 87 Pace Arrow. Kept it 5 years.

#2. Used 90 South Wind. Kept it 1 year.

#3. Used 97 Adventure. Kept it 4 years.

#4 Used 03 Chieftain. Still have.

My DW likes the floor plan on our Chieftain so well and I like the Workhorse Chassis so well that we will keep it until we can't travel anymore. However, if I can find a Workhorse UFO chassis with a box suitable to DW, I will have a few fireside chats with her hoping for 1 last purchase.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Not counting pop-ups, travel trailers, or pkup camper.............First MH one year (a mistake) Second MH four years and still happy. Plan to keep this one 3to4 more years.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #20
Damon Owners Club
I have my second one. First was a class-C back in the 70's, and now a 'used' class-A. Mine is just short enough it can fit in my garage (where I used to keep the class-C). I don't plan on buying another one as long as I have this stick house. Mine is perfect for me and DW.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
My first was a 2001 class c itasca spirit 24,Kept that 6 months Then a used H.R, 31 foot class cKept that 4 months .We then bought a new 31 foot Holiday rambler class c.It lasted 6 months.We currently have a 35 foot Holiday Rambler D.P. ,love it Will keep it a while.We should have bought what we wanted the first time.Instead we tried to be too conservative in our steping up It cost us dearly.
2006 HR Vacationer diesel
thmdamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First RV was a pop up bought new and more work than it was worth - only kept it a year.
Got the bug again about 6 months later and bought an old class A Titan and had it about three years. Had it for sale for 6 months after buying the next one.
Bought a larger class A and had it for 18 months do to vapor locking issues and wanting to go Full Time. Traded it in on the coach we now have an had for almost 7 years.
We will keep this one.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just traded up to our new to us 04 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778 W22. Our previous unit was a 94 Fleetwood Bounder which we owned for five years. It had 113K upon trade and ran very well but it was time to move up. I should mention we were second owners on that moho, it had 94K when we purchased it.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This was a great question. Our first three rigs were travel trailers, the first one, a 16 ft Jayco was used for two years but was much to small. The second TT was a Fleetwood Wilderness and was kept for 3 years until it was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew (along with our house) The third TT was only kept for as long as I rebuilt the house- it was a KIT, or something like that. Our first motorhome was a 1993 27 1/2 foot Allegro Bay class C unit that we kept for nearly 11 years. Used the heck out of it and never had a problem. Our current unit is 2004 Allegro 32BA. Great rig built by Tiffin- but has had brake problems. With the price of new motorhomes, we may just upgrade it and keep it. Not certain.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #25
Appalachian Campers
Hmmmm? I'm to blame for the financial crisis? I didn't realize that a $2.19 and a couple of Canadian nickles would do that!!

Fist MH (Used Coachmen A DP) 6 months
Second (New 2000 Itasca Horizon) 7 years
Present coach (2008 Damon Essence) Hope we keep it for a LONG time

The Horizon was a great coach and we had gotten all bugs out of it. Just wanted something a little bigger with full paint. Now we are de-bugging this one!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
This is it first RV, 2 years. Plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off or I hit the lottery. I'm basically easy to please so as long as there are no major problems I see no reason to switch. I have a wish list but we all dream don't we.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
this is #2 first was a 2000 dicovery bought new and after 1 yr. we decided that it was not worth de bugging (not enough yrs left in our life) second and present 02 beaver that we love and planning on keeping for a long time. its fun to have rig that you like so much that you keep dreaming up new things to keep upgrading it! jim
Jim & Sue
06 Patriot Thunder / 2011 Jeep Overland
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #28
1. 18' Class C ElDorado - about 10 years
2. 28' Class A Georgie Boy - 2 years
3. 37' Class A Pace Arrow - 2 years (and lots of trouble)
4. 37' Class A Itasca - Current...will keep until someone gives me a 3-4 slider.

Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote