Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #43

5 minutes at most.
I've watched people spend more time rinsing out their slinky than it takes me to dump both tanks, run the tank rinse, wash my hands and leave.
It is painful to be waiting behind the occasional camper.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #44

Thats interesting MR. D,

I had for the most part been hesitant to not do a good clean out after a trip. I try not to leave anything but a water and soap in while it waits for the next adventure.

I don't do the clean out in line and I've felt guilty, thanks for sharing that insight.

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some people would be considerate and NOT flush the tank! If you have the black tank full or more you should never need to flush the tank. In the 13 years we owned the previous Dutch Star I could count on one hand the number of times I used the built in flush system.
I dump the black, then the gray, then pull out or over and add a few gallons of water to the black tank and the chemicals. That way the tank gets rinsed as I drive home or to the next destination. Have done that for many years and have NEVER had a build up of solids.
Our new to us Magna came with a build up in the black tank. By following the above regime I'm getting it cleaned out. At least now it's reading 0 when I dump.
How do you know you do not have some residual chunks or paper stuck in the grooves of the valve? I agree with you but I usually hook up the tank flush and crank it on while dumping so it has some good fresh water helping to push thing through and clean the grooves. I do all this while the black tank is emptying out and when done I move the valve a couple of times to clear and then shut things up and wind up the hoses. Never had any problems with this method and it takes no longer than it does to just open the valve and dump.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #46

Wow. I hope I don't have some of you behind me if I have to dump at a busy station. I am handicapped and require a cane for assistance walking. It takes me 5 minutes just to acquire and hook up the slinky. That is the reason I try to avoid dump stations with lines. I promise you that if it cannot be avoided, I am going as fast as I can.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I'm the one in front of you.... Sorry, but I do my thing my way, you do yours your way... Life is too short to get overly concerned about the small things...
Oh no...are you the same guy that gets in front of me at the Costco gas station???
When finished pumping gas, he then takes trash from his car and puts it into the trash can, makes a cell phone call, and finally leaves

I agree, life is to short......... to be wasted waiting...and waiting...and waiting....

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My take is that you don't have to sterilize the tank each time you dump it.
If by chance there are people waiting behind me, I try to be considerate and not take too much time.
If nobody is behind me, I flush multiple times until the water coming out of the black tank is clear as a bell (and has no bad taste).

One thing I do is use the grey tank to help flush the black tank.

1. Drain the black tank.
2. With the black tank still open, open the grey tank for a couple of seconds. This adds enough grey water for a second black tank flush.
3.Close the grey tank
4. Let the black tank drain again (about 20 seconds for this).
5. Close the black tank and drain the grey tank.
6. Put the hose away and leave

This is about a 10 minute job even with putting on gloves.

When I get out of the way (or when I get home), I put another 5 gallons or so of water into the tanks.
If there happens to be a couple of "chunky items' left in the tank, they will be dissolved by next time.

Just remember, there is more than one way to give a cat an enema...and not of them pleasant.

Regards,
Dan
Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #49

"and has no bad taste"

It's not so much as the taste that bothers me checking to see if I am done, as the corn or peanuts :(
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Wow. I hope I don't have some of you behind me if I have to dump at a busy station. I am handicapped and require a cane for assistance walking. It takes me 5 minutes just to acquire and hook up the slinky. That is the reason I try to avoid dump stations with lines. I promise you that if it cannot be avoided, I am going as fast as I can.
That being the case my friend,
one of us will be there to help you if you need it.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
How do you know you do not have some residual chunks or paper stuck in the grooves of the valve? I agree with you but I usually hook up the tank flush and crank it on while dumping so it has some good fresh water helping to push thing through and clean the grooves. I do all this while the black tank is emptying out and when done I move the valve a couple of times to clear and then shut things up and wind up the hoses. Never had any problems with this method and it takes no longer than it does to just open the valve and dump.
Well for the most part, that's exactly the way I do it in addition to the back flush from Gray water to get a clean flow and I can see this through the clear elbow connection.

But just to be considerate, i'll forgo the flush hook up if there's a line. But even skipping this, I'm sure it's going to take me longer than 10 minutes.

If the person behind me is so much in a hurry he can't wait ten minutes, I don't know how he or she deals with life in general.

just saying
Old 07-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #52

I think consideration is a 2-way street. If I were behind someone that was taking that long, I could do what you did and leave to find another dump station, or not. Come on, you're camping! Why be in a hurry??

Perhaps the guy in front of you was coming up on his last exit and that is where he dumps before arriving home. I would certainly recommend he not practice a dump and don't rinse routine.

Remember, patience is a virtue.... Enjoy life!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #53

Some of us have work to get back to at home. Soooo glad I put in a dump station at home. Some folks have no idea there is a world operating outside of theirs. They operate on their time and their rules. Yea an forbid one needs to leave for home me before 8:00 am!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Some of us have work to get back to at home. Soooo glad I put in a dump station at home. Some folks have no idea there is a world operating outside of theirs. They operate on their time and their rules. Yea an forbid one needs to leave for home me before 8:00 am!
SADLY, so very true. This may be getting off track, but it still relates back to inconsiderate people.
This general group of people (crap...I am starting a rant....)are the ones who leave shopping carts in the middle of a parking space, never pull to the right when making right had turns, drive up the right hand lane in traffic and cut in at the last minute, sit in their car blocking traffic waiting for someone to load their groceries and pull our of the space....I am sure others can add.

Wouldn't it be nice if people were just simply considerate...maybe a thought like "this guy is waiting for me, I will try to not to take more time than needed".

Regards,
Dan
Old 07-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I go out of my way to avoid having anyone complain about me being in their way. How? I usually go dump my tanks at a local Cabelas late night, when there's almost zero chance of having someone waiting behind me. Why? I like to clean my tanks really well as my original gauges still work perfectly fine and by flushing them thoroughly, it's my belief they'll keep on working. I generally take upwards of 30-45 minutes to thoroughly dump and flush the black tank twice. If the last campground isn't a FHU, I'll wait till I get home to dump unless there's little chance of me blocking someone at a common dump station on the way out.

CABELAS???? Never knew they had that avail. We have one up near Austin that I will have to check out. Besides walking thru their store is better than any Wal-Mart I've been in.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
As long as I see the guy ahead of me working like he's got a purpose - I don't have a problem with however long it takes him to get his tanks dumped. It's the folks who pull up ... take their sweet time getting out of their vehicle, dawdling to get hoses hooked ... then take their sweet time putting their hoses away, cleaning out their wet bay, etc. ... that will raise my ire a bit.

OMG. thank you for your patience to all. I dread dumping my tanks with anyone around watching. I guess its just me. But I definitely have to clean my "hose" out afterwards.

Tags
tank