Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #99
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm going to be so glad once the below is installed next week and I then setup my own personal dump station at the S&B. I take waaaay too long for most on this thread…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	99815  

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 03:10 AM   #100

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Hi Ted, I was the one behind you that brought out my lawn chair while you minced about doing your dumping exercise ! Your a hoot to watch.

They even made a movie of it since it is such an amusing thing to watch....

Ted

Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostable View Post
Since I started using the macerator it certailny takes a little longer then it use to, but I only dump when I have to and wait until I get home if possible. Then only time I felt like I was holding anyone up was when I was exiting a campground and stopped to dump, the guy in front of me to an exccessive amount of time. So once I pulled up to dump I tried to be swift as the guy behind me had been there just as long as me at this point. Little did I know that the path to dump was also the only path OUT of the CG!!! The guy behind me didn't even need to dump he was just trying to get out. Crappy CG design right there!!!
What is a macerator? I am guessing it is something to break up the stuff going out of the tanks. If so, why would it matter to break up what is going in the sewer?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I'm going to be so glad once the below is installed next week and I then setup my own personal dump station at the S&B. I take waaaay too long for most on this thread…
Looks like a grinder pump tank. You must be pumping uphill.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #103

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
What is that?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #104
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Looks like a grinder pump tank. You must be pumping uphill.
Yes, it's an 8 foot tall grinder pump tank The sewer on my street is uphill and I currently have septic but with new bathrooms being added to the house the town requires sewer hookup.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #105

Carolina Campers
How long does it take you to dump your tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
What is a macerator? I am guessing it is something to break up the stuff going out of the tanks. If so, why would it matter to break up what is going in the sewer?

A macerator provides several options and can make dumping far easier, provide a far cleaner process, and can be a faster process then using the 3 1/2" hose.

Here are a few things to consider;
1) With a macerator hooked up you don't have the hassle of hooking up or disconnecting the slinky.
2) You simply pull out the end and put it in the dump station sewer drain, open the value, and flip a switch to turn it on.
3) Most macerator's pump at about 12 to 15 gallons per minute, so you can do the math as to how long it would take to empty your size tank. It is usually only a few minutes to empty both the black and grey tank. It takes 5 to 6 minutes for me to empty both tanks, if they are both completely full.
4) With a good macerator, you can pump up to 150' away and up to a nine foot incline. Which is exactly what I need to do when parked at one place I go to an a regular basis. This also means that when you hook up at a full service camp site, you don't have to use a slinky holder to provide that perfect angle for the gravity flow. You simply open the valve and flip a switch when you want to dump the tanks.
5) It does grind up what is going into the sewer, but keep in mind that you are pumping into a much smaller hose, versus the 3 1/2" hose. Also, you don't want to clog the pump with larger matter that is being pumped.
6) A macerator provides you with far more options for places to dump. Because you have a smaller hose, you can simply connect the hose, or even multiple hoses together, and dump into a sewer clean out at home. You can dump into a toilet, or other options. I have two 75' hoses that I have hooked together and pumped to a sewer drain that was up a hill 150' away from where the coach is parked.

So, with a macerator you have far less hook up and disconnect time, much easier process, far cleaner process, which in turn may not take any longer to use a macerator versus using the 3 1/2" hose, and far more dumping options. As I have used both methods, I know that it takes me less time to use the macerator than to use the large 3 1/2" hose.

When other campers have watched me use the macerator, it is not uncommon for them to comment as to how fast and easy the process is. It is usually the ones that don't own one nor ever tried one, or can't afford the cost for installing one, or may not have a nicer coach that came with one installed, that make derogatory comments.

Ted
Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
A macerator provides several options and can make dumping far easier, provide a far cleaner process, and can be a faster process then using the 3 1/2" hose.

Here are a few things to consider;
1) With a macerator hooked up you don't have the hassle of hooking up or disconnecting the slinky.
2) You simply pull out the end and put it in the dump station sewer drain, open the value, and flip a switch to turn it on.
3) Most macerator's pump at about 12 to 15 gallons per minute, so you can do the math as to how long it would take to empty your size tank. It is usually only a few minutes to empty both the black and grey tank. It takes 5 to 6 minutes for me to empty both tanks, if they are both completely full.
4) With a good macerator, you can pump up to 150' away and up to a nine foot incline. Which is exactly what I need to do when parked at one place I go to an a regular basis. This also means that when you hook up at a full service camp site, you don't have to use a slinky holder to provide that perfect angle for the gravity flow. You simply open the valve and flip a switch when you want to dump the tanks.
5) It does grind up what is going into the sewer, but keep in mind that you are pumping into a much smaller hose, versus the 3 1/2" hose. Also, you don't want to clog the pump with larger matter that is being pumped.
6) A macerator provides you with far more options for places to dump. Because you have a smaller hose, you can simply connect the hose, or even multiple hoses together, and dump into a sewer clean out at home. You can dump into a toilet, or other options. I have two 75' hoses that I have hooked together and pumped to a sewer drain that was up a hill 150' away from where the coach is parked.

So, with a macerator you have far less hook up and disconnect time, much easier process, far cleaner process, which in turn may not take any longer to use a macerator versus using the 3 1/2" hose, and far more dumping options. As I have used both methods, I know that it takes me less time to use the macerator than to use the large 3 1/2" hose.

When other campers have watched me use the macerator, it is not uncommon for them to comment as to how fast and easy the process is. It is usually the ones that don't own one nor ever tried one, or can't afford the cost for installing one, or may not have a nicer coach that came with one installed, that make derogatory comments.

Ted

I don't have any experience with these systems and I have a question. When pumping uphill and the tank empties to the point the pump has nothing else to pump, does that leave a hose full of liquid? What pushes the rest uphill when there is nothing left to do the pushing?

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #107

Carolina Campers
How long does it take you to dump your tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
... I have a question. When pumping uphill and the tank empties to the point the pump has nothing else to pump, does that leave a hose full of liquid? What pushes the rest uphill when there is nothing left to do the pushing?

The pump continues to pump and air is forced into the hose, witch I have found is just enough to clear the hose without running the pump very long after the tank is empty. This is the same case when emptying into the dump site or at the camp site with full service.

Regardless, just like you would do with a slinky, after the tanks are empty, I will use the black tank flush to clean out the tank and the hose. This may take another three or four minutes, but I have a clear section in the hose and can tell when the line is clean. Therefore, even if some liquid is in the hose, it will only be clear water.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Ted
Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #108

Actually this brings up a story. Heading home from Vegas we stopped at Flying J to top off. A gentleman in a new rig was tying up the lane as he was going to dump. After a few minutes I decided to strike up a conversation just to let him know we were next in line. Seem it was a brand new RV to him and he really did not know what he was doing, where to start, or what was needed. He had box full of parts given to him by the dealer, not yet assembled, and he was just lost. Needless to say it took us a good 45 minutes to teach the fellow the rules of flushing. Putting everything together, and going step by step. He and his wife were most appreciative. All it took us is a little bit of time, and in return we received heartfilled thanks. Sometimes it just works out that way.
Happy Trails.
Oh, no one was waiting in line behind us.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #109

Carolina Campers
That is a great story, and you are to be commended for helping you fellow camper. That is what I've found is the way of most campers and RVers that I've meet along the way.

Thanks for sharing.

Ted
Old 07-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
The pump continues to pump and air is forced into the hose, witch I have found is just enough to clear the hose without running the pump very long after the tank is empty. This is the same case when emptying into the dump site or at the camp site with full service.

Regardless, just like you would do with a slinky, after the tanks are empty, I will use the black tank flush to clean out the tank and the hose. This may take another three or four minutes, but I have a clear section in the hose and can tell when the line is clean. Therefore, even if some liquid is in the hose, it will only be clear water.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Ted

Yes. Thanks

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #111

Takes me no more than 10 minutes. When I'm at a pay to dump station I pull up (not to the dump lane) in case someone else gets there first, go in and pay but snacks
And what not then go pull up to dump. If ANYONE is behind me I do not rinse anything but the slinky. My time is valuable and I believe their time is just as valuable if not more valuable. I believe that is common courtesy practice among most RVers. Of I do get behind someone it's no big deal because I'm in a house on wheels with most the creature comforts of home. I always watch to see if they know what they are doing to see if I can go aid them in any way. Has not happened yet but look forward to the time I can share my little bit of knowledge with someone

Tags
tank