Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #29

Sorry Mike, I had to get your attention. I replaced the carpet in my previous 5th Wheel (the rig I had before I bought the MH) with bamboo flooring. I loved the look of it, and the renewable material made good sense. It was also priced right. However, after I installed it, I made a dissapointing discovery. The bamboo is so hard, the stain that they put on it to make it a uniform color does not penetrate the surface. It kind of goes on like thin paint. What that meant to us was that any slight scratch, like from a pets nail, or a little pebble on the floor that you step on with your shoes and drag will take the surface coating right off. It doesn't hurt the bamboo, it too darn hard. But the stain scratched badly. I wound up putting down several area rugs to preserve the surface so it wouldn't get destroyed. The color that we chose for the 5ver was a medium color like a walnut brown, so if you went with a natural color that it comes in like a blonde, it may not do that. But check it out throughly before you buy and install. I would have considered lacquer on the whole surface if I had not traded it in when I bought the MH.

Now for your original question, we have had the rig for just over 2 years and are very happy. We looked long and hard to find a DP that was under 35' long. It really fits our style of RVing. I have made a bunch of improvements to the inside and out to make it fit our lifestyle, and we have no plans of getting rid of it for any reason. Especially now with the price of diesel! We started full timing in June and are loving the life style.

Marty and Diane, Fulltiming!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Mike and Amy!! We bought our rig about a year ago. We have been going to lots of RV shows and were leaning toward a 5th wheel but we really started to like the layout of a motorhome. Our ultimate goal is to go full time and right now we have no plans for a new rig, we are having a great time upgrading to our style. We did a fabric change in the inside, new tires and shocks outside.
We have found in our short history of RVing that we are meeting some really nice people and seeing some great places. We can't wait to go more often! Thanks for asking, love this site.

Mike & Kate Logan
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 35C
2008 Saturn Vue Toad
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
We purchased a 2007 Monaco La Palma in May of 2007 and traded it in February 2008 on a 2008 Monaco Cayman. Just a little bigger and almost the same floorplan. The biggest differences are air bag suspension, air brakes, and the CCC (Cargo Carry Capacity) is a lot more on the Cayman. The La Palma had a CCC of 1000 pounds and the Cayman has 4700 pounds. We would have easily been over-weight since we live in the Cayman most of the time. The Cayman also has all the upgrades and changes that we would have spent a year making to the first one. We plan to keep this one forever.

So, 9 months with the 2007 and 6 months with the 2008 Cayman. Advice to all - beware of motorhomes at rallies.
Mic (& Rick the FishBum)
2008 Cayman XL 35SBD & 2008 Honda CR-V
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
We bought our current motorhome in October of 2007. Hubby retired in May of 2007 and we started living in the RV full-time. Our coach at that time was a 35' class A gas rig and we decided after living in it for 5 months that we needed, more basement storage. So now we have a 41' diesel pusher. I plan to keep this one forever - but that's what I thought about the 35' gas rig too. Hubby never stops looking for his next one. Time will tell which of us can persuade the other to their way of thinking.
2007 Safari Cheetah 41', Full timers since 6/07
Our Travel Blog
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #33
WE have had this MH 1 yr 2 months now. This is MH 35 for us.
All past MH's were class A's.
Tom & Bonnie
2008 Winnebago Aspect 29H
A Class C Not a B+
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #34
Damon Owners Club
Bought ours 'used'. Primary criteria was it had to fit in our garage (used to have a class-C. It's paid for, remodeled it ourselves, and have had it about two years. Do not plan to 'up-grade' anytime soon. Saw a Fiesta seven years newer that looked better on the outside, but not on the inside. Would have cost me over $40k difference, no thanks.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have had this one for 17 months now. Had the last one for 7 years. Am just getting er ready for a trip south for the winter.
2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #36
Ours is coming up on 2 years now. Everything about it: Slide position, large windows and dinette on the curb, length were all chosen due to our main camping spot. Even so we'll probably keep it when that changes as we have no complaints about the 34H layout at all.
We kept the last one for 17 years. If that happens again they'll be peeling the keys out of my hand..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
Official iRV2 Sponsor
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought our 05 in 06 and began fulltiming in 07. Luv the fulltiming. Wish we could get a different rv but cannot afford it. No tellin how long we will have this one.
Lee and Fran
Holiday Rambler Vacationer
While traveling down lives paths stop to smell the flowers.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #38
Bought it used in May of 03 and have just started the upgrade route and have a ways to go.

I do like the floor plan real well, now if I could just figure out how to get the A/C to cool back there. The front one I just installed makes it like a refrigerator which I also changed/upgraded a few months ago. It has 3 solar panels and 2 6V batteries soon to grow by 2 or 4 more and a new Charge Wizard charger and plans for a hard wired 50A serge protector. I now have one hard wired 1700W inverter and think I will add a second 2500W for the added Summit freezer mounted above the Splendide washer/dryer. Of course I replaced the microwave twice (1st time power brownout, 2nd time key pad would not work). Changed out the Electrophonic (junk) stereo with an automotive Kenwood CD player with a Sirius radio box now just need to upgrade the speakers and figure out how to run wire for two more in the living room ceiling. Then there is finishing the new cabinets above the original ones in the kitchen and adding a door to the vanity so all of the pain pills are not on display. Of course while in Q this winter for a little vacation I will have all the fabric replaced on the awnings and one new one installed then there is that question of one or two Honda generators and what size. And the list goes on and the plans of traveling 6 months are on hold for the foreseeable future but by then I think I will have this one like I want it because the chances of buying a new Alfa have diminished.

USA Map of Travels Canada Map of Travels Picasa Photo Albums
Are we there yet? Truck 2013 F350 Black DRW CC 6.7 Diesel King Ranch
Blue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
We bought our 01 when it was 6 months old, previous owner just had to have something better,and have had very few problems and by now I know how this unit was built. Have no intentions of buying new. They just don't build them simple anymore and I don't need/want all the bells and whistles.
We have started the upgrade process, two flat screen HD tvs, tile flooring, stainless stl sinks and additional shelving.
If I can find another one as good as this one has been I'll check my wallet and propably fill the fuel tank and be happy I have no payments.
Lee,Marge Living Our Dream-Fulltiming!
Beaufort SC, Winter Harmony PA Summer
Semper Fi In God We Trust
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #40
We bought ours new in March of '04. The DW loves this coach and will NOT even think of trading up. We've upgraded the TV's and added an anti-sway bar to the rear suspension. All lubricants are now or will soon be synthetic.
I have always been partial to the 45' tag axle coaches(don't ask why)but the price of one will make it a dream only! As the budget allows, I'll upgrade this unit.
'09 Dutch Aire 4331
Bill0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #41
Bought my Cedar Creek back in April 2003 and still love it and have no interest in upgrading to a bigger or better fiver. I just keep adding things to my current rig to suit my creature comfort needs.
John and Jessica

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #42
Our Allegro Bus will be 3 years old Sept 5.

Someday we may trade up to a tag axle (probably after DH retires) but right now we are really happy with our Bus especially after we fixed some things that really annoyed us. Replaced carpet with tile and the day/night shades with MCD duo shades. Also recovered valances. The more we customize it the more we like it.

2006 Allegro Bus 40'

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
HeresLucy is offline   Reply With Quote