Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Barbara and Jim, any particular reason you are limiting yourself to a workhorse chassis?

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #30
Workhorse Chassis

Barbara and Jim, any particular reason you are limiting yourself to a workhorse chassis?
We were told by a dealer that it is better than the Ford...actually we've been told by more than one dealer. But the one dealer I was referring to had both Ford and Workhorse chassis for sale and some of the Ford ones were more expensive, so I don't think he was trying to mislead us...I tend to be skeptical whenever a sales person tells me something.

And we've decided we have to start have some definite criteria or there are just too many motor homes to choose from.

Do you prefer the Ford?

AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I have owned the Roadmaster Chassis for 8 years and have been completely satisfied.

My coach came with the S-Chassis which is also called the Semi-Monocoque Roadmaster Chassis, 8 airbags, 2 for each wheel. My only regret was it didn't come with the tag which would have given me some extra carrying capacity.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A winter package can be found in well insulated Newmar coach's.
There are many found on Workhorse chassis.
Its your floor plan I would first decide on than model coach you would like, I have a 38' bath and 1/2 with two slides.
Ample storage and a dream of a coach to drive, have added improvements to our liking as most people have for there comfort.
Good luck in your quest there are many to chose from just take your time and do make notes so it doesn't get too confusing.
Oh by the way welcome to irv2.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #33
Damon Owners Club
Originally Posted by AloraDanin View Post
We were told by a dealer that it is better than the Ford...actually we've been told by more than one dealer. But the one dealer I was referring to had both Ford and Workhorse chassis for sale and some of the Ford ones were more expensive, so I don't think he was trying to mislead us...I tend to be skeptical whenever a sales person tells me something.

And we've decided we have to start have some definite criteria or there are just too many motor homes to choose from.

Do you prefer the Ford?

I did not know Ford makes a chassis for Class A.
173dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Good questions, far better to gather the info up front. We have had wonderful results with the Workhorses, had 3 new Windsports 32,35 and a 38. The power from the 8.1 Chev was great. Last gasser was a 35 Kountry Star. The 22.5s do ride and drive better. The Allison grade brake performed well in all 4 coaches. I have driven several Fords and found the package lacking in performance and "feel" The Fords felt like they were spinning way too fast. I ordered the Windsports with dual pane windows, HWH jacks, and power awnings. $for$ felt I we got great products. The KountryStar wasn't as flashy as the Windsports but at 35 feet was sized just right. We began towing a car hauler with a Jeep Wrangler, mtn bikes, big Barbie and all the extra junk and found the Workhorse ok on shorter jaunts but it really worked hard on the long trips, think big mountains. Pulling the trailer defiantly impacts where you can go and what parks you fit in. I really liked the Jeep inside, stayed way cleaner and I could leave the top off. I finally drank the diesel koolaid this year and went with a 3933 Ventana quad slide. Far more comfortable to drive, tows way better, and frankly just as easy to park as a 35 footer. If 2-3 feet makes that much of a difference in where to park I'm convinced you're in the wrong spot. I figure I could have saved $100,000 by going diesel the first time around. I am really Leary of advice from dealers. The only rv experience most sales people have is shuttling coaches to and from shows. The dealer is obviously trying to make sale, which is great, profit makes this country run, not social workers on the govt payroll. However it's prudent to objectify where your good advice comes from. Best of luck on your quest.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #35
Where you like to camp and where you like to drive are can be huge length (and height and weight) factors. While you "can" find a CG to park a 40-45er, it may not be where you want to be depending on your camping preferences and pre-planning desires. For example:

If you are state/national park CG aficionados, >38ft or so will shut you out of most.

If you like to travel county roads (esp in the east and northeast) then 13ft tall and weight will pose many challenges as can length.

Spaces for the largest rigs tend to be limited at many CGs and during prime times this may shut you out of them w/o way in advance reservations.

At 13ft tall "main street many towns USA" can be a significant challenge as these towns seldom prune the trees on the side/over the road thus forcing you to drive the middle of the highway through town.

Think about how you travel (reservations, just show up), what times of year (peak season or not), and where you like to stay (SP/NP/BLM or fancy big rig resorts) as part of your decision.

My point is, the bigger (length/height/weight) the more planing you'll need to do. You may not just be able to take off in any direction on a whim expecting smooth sailing all the way.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #36
My motorhome is the same length as the Fire Dept. Ladder truck I worked on, and is within inches of the same height. My 43' motorhome is no higher than the delivery truck that brings food to every McDonalds/Burger King/Arby's in the nation. If those vehicles can't get down the city streets, then my motorhome is too big for that city too. Anybody remember McDonalds running out of food?

I've been in state parks in 12 western states, I'm currently parked in one in Texas. California is the only state where the parks sites weren't big enough. They are well advertised on their websites that the sites are small. Some parks do have sites that are too small, but I've never yet not been able to find one to fit except on holiday weekends when there is virtually nothing available for a big rig or a small one.

I don't think Offttss drives a big rig, the phrase "fancy big rig resorts" kind of indicates to me where his bias is. Those who have big MH's or 5th wheels know first hand.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #37
New Motorhome

We have been quietly following this thread. Lots of good comments, and we decided to weigh in with ours.... DO NOT RUSH to make a decision. Look a lots of coaches, talk to as many people who use their coach the way you intend to use yours. Make two lists, "must have features" and "nice to have features" It will help as you get closer to getting what you want within your budget. We have been in class "A"'s since 1986. We seriously (everyday) looked for a year and a half before getting our current coach, and are 'personalizing' it with minor tweaks. That is actually part of the fun For engine's, don't just think about today, but your use and fuel availability years from now. If you won't put many miles on it, a gasser will get you by. Otherwise diesel has a lot of benefits. Same process with length and floor plan. Make the process a fun one! What works best for you is all that matters! Good luck!
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #38
Do what I did.

Set a budget
Blow that budget by 50 percent
get what you want and be happy with it.

Limiting yourself to a chassis is ridiculous in my view. You dont live in a chassis unless you happen to be transporting families up from Mexico but I digress....

My 40 footer will go everywhere I want. They are intimidating when you first start driving them, but after a few miles it gets easy. BTW... their is no substitute for cubic feet
Bee950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
I have 36 ft vacationer on a w22 with 2 slides and lots of storage. Bought it for 43k. Runs likes a top infraction for just the 2 of us. It is very large inside.8.1 Chevy engine. I think it is bigger than my first apartment a million years ago. I think we could full time in this size.
Steve & Denise
2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36.6 ft
w22, 8.1 Vacaville, Ca.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by ronnii View Post
Am not limiting to workhorse, have looked at both but don't know much about pro's and con's of either. Just asking for info from folks who have had experiences with one or both.
There are not as many "differences" between the W series chassis from Workhorse and the later model F-53 class A chassis from Ford, since Ford upgraded their product a few years ago. One difference is that Ford uses a Ford V-10 motor (362 peak HP) vs. the GM V-8 (340 peak HP) used by Workhorse. Both are good motors, and use "about" the same amount of fuel. IMO, the biggest difference is that the F-53 comes with a Ford 5-speed tranny, while Workhorse uses an ALLISON 6 speed with the "grade brake" feature. I believe the Allison warranty is significantly longer than the Ford, and some of the internal components are more robust.

FWIW, Ford is the ONLY chassis builder providing current production GAS powered chassis to the coach builders today, so anything you find on a Workhorse GAS chassis is most likely a used coach.
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The earlier in the day you get to your stop, the better chance you'll have at getting a site large enough for your rv. The bigger and better sites go first! If you get there too late you might not get a site at all. I'd get the size rig you want and worry about the sites after that if your full timing. We're still workers so we tend to arrive late except when on vacations, so our 33' has made it possible to still get a site we can fit on, but if we full time someday we'd like to get a bigger rig. More camggrounds are creating bigger sites but there's still alot of older campgrounds with small sites. We can usually tell from the road if a campground has small sites, if the trees and bushes are so thick you can't see into the campground, the sites are going to be small. We drive right by those places unless we're tired and desparate for a site.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #42
Not an endorsement, just a statement. More than one RVer has stated their 40' coach was 38' so they could get into a camp spot.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote