Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
How long will 400AH power basic needs?

After my first post asking for input on dry camping with an electric coach produced so much helpful information, this totally raised my comfort level with electric after having a propane setup for years .I just traded my trusty 2005 Holiday Rambler Endeaver for a 2012 Itasca Elclipse 42QD that has the electric fridge and propane range. While I understand that the generator will take care of recharging the batteries when needed, and the puny 10W solar will help a little, I am curious how much time can theoretically be had from the battery powered inverter. I have the coach sitting plugged into 120VAC and am only powering the refrigerator and the various sensors etc. Under these conditions,which would be the about same as I would typically use dry camping, the power meter I put in the line shows a steady 1.3 amps of AC current, and 158Watts being used.The question I have is how much of the 400AH of available battery is consumed before re-charge is necessary? How does the external AC power being used match up with the AC produced by the inverter being powered by batteries? Am I comparing apples to apples when I see only 1.6amps from external AC source powering the basics as compared to the inverter by itself? I guess this is basically a question about inverter efficiency. Thanks for any input in furthering my RV education.

GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
GKW remember that 1amp 120v is 10amp12volt and batteries only give about 50% of amp hrs. So at 1.6 amp on 120v you will be using about 16 amps 12v and 200 amphrs will last about 12.5 hrs. So you will need to recharge each day.

2001 Horizon 2004 jeep GC
autofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Thanks autofish, exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I was missing the difference between 120VAC and 12VDC current draw. I never used the inverter much with my Endeaver, so was not up to speed with details on its operation. What a great source of information irv2.com is!
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
To help make it simple convert all to common unit...POWER, or watts.

Multiply volts times amps to get watts.

By using watts the voltage is removed from the calculation

The load in watts at 120 VAC is the same at 12 VDC but we add some overhead for the inverter.

For inverter add 15%, so multiply by 1.15

This is the load on the Battery.

Confirm Battery capacity at load.

Determine how much of your Battery you wish to use.

Multiply the amp hour amount of the Battery by 12.8 to get the watt-hour total.

Multiply this by the percentage you determined you will use.

Now divide that by your load.

Hard to explain with phone...

If you had 100 amp hour Battery then you have 1280 watt-hours of energy stored. 12.8 volts x 100 amp hours = 1280 watt-hours

If you are limiting to 50% then you have 640 watt-hours capacity

Higher loads are less time, smaller loads more time.

Search Battery run time and you will find days of reading
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote