Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

How long will water stay useful in the holding tank

Dear forum readers: How long will the water in the holding tank stay fresh?

Craig Gosselin
1996 Bounder 34H

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The answer is, "it depends." If the tank has been routinely sanitized and the water was fresh and clean to begin with, it will be safe for much longer than in a tank that has not been properly maintained.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #3

I have been doing a Google search of the topic and have read threads on about 9 RVers sites and there was no clear answer to similar questions. It put a smile on my face. I guess if I fill me tank now and wait until my trip 16 days from now I can check the water with my pool kit and report. If the PH or chemistry changes I can at least have a best fit answer.

Craig Gosselin
1996 Bounder 34H
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Depends is the best answer for sure. We're on a well so the water is untreated, I generally drain the FW tank if it's going to sit for more than a week or two. Sanitize once a year at the beginning of the season.

If I was back in San Diego using the Chlorine with water added they have there I wouldn't worry even after a few months .

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #5

I am going to go some steps further into answering the question for myself and anyone interested. I think based on the quick research that I had just performed that....not anyone had done any testing of the water to provide evidence as to when the water began getting stagnant in their tanks. The usual answers, concerning length of water storage were vague.
My gal and I have a pool and we test the water for certain values. I am going to add the water local city water to my recently sanitized RV tank "unfiltered" and test it. Then periodically test it looking for value changes using my test kit. This will signify the water is having some growth. I will re-sanitize the tank and then use a CAMCO in line filter just before the water enters the tank using the same city water and I will do the same test series and see if the water lasts longer or not. I will report back with some figures that have some experiment behind them.
the expectation, using a pool test kit, is that it is not a very accurate type of testing....but it is some type. Anyone see a flaw in my approach?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

How long does pool water last before you have to add more chemicals? 7 days, 10 days? Personally of we are using it I don't drain but just refill as necessary. If it is at home, I always drain the tank when I get home. Takes only a few minutes to close the drain valve and fill the tank
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Pool water is not in an enclosed container which means sanitizer dissipates with exposure to the air. We have well water and when we fill I add a very small amount of sodium dichlor (same as used in hotubs) and it provides the sanitizer that well water needs to stay usable for a longer time. When I do this we use the water for a month or more refilling when needed. Notice I said very small amount 1/2 tsp for 100 gal I think is what I have been told is sufficient.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #8

Thank you everyone that responded. In summary... water storage as a topic is kind of mysterious. Many threads I had opened (including water purification companies)and read over the past day (and I read about 60 main threads) ended in talking about the added burden of carrying water as a weight in the RV, meaning that the topic completely shifted away from the main question.
I am going to perform the beginning of some testing and will report my findings (not as an expert but rather as a curious individual). The decision will be to begin with what I already have on hand (pool test chemical kits) and see where this leads.
My hypothesis is... water storage in your RV in a sanitized tank has a life span and the span is measurable. Furthermore the storage life of water will change with ambient temperature and will change with how you handle the input of water into your tank (filtered and unfiltered). I will hold constant where I get the water from, specifically, Taylorsville Municipal (KY) water system will be my supplier. I have just re-sanitized the tank on my 100 gal MH tank (it was not washed and then sanitized). The ambient temp 32F-60F is current for this portion of the experiment. Part one of the test is unfiltered water from my municipality.
What the pool tests will show.... PH level, Clorine level, Bromine level and hardness. The change in PH level is consistent with the lowering of Clorine and usually will result in a growth media increase for bacteria. This is what I am looking and testing for (so every reader can get in on opinion).
I am thick of skin and you will not offend me in any way if you are not of my opinion...please feel free to post and tear into or support this effort to understand water storage and quantify water storage quality over time.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Keep us posted, sounds like a neat project. But I am easily entertained!
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
How long will water stay useful in the holding tank
I put well water in mine. And it still has been useful several month later for taking showers, flushing toilet, washing dishes etc.

Staying in a hurricane area I keep it full for over 6 months. Never drain it.
The tank has never been sanitized in the 10 years I have owned it.

I have never been sick from drinking water from it, or had anything grow on my skin or eat my skin from washing from it.

I do use a good sink water filter for drinking & cooking.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I put well water in mine. And it still has been useful several month later for taking showers, flushing toilet, washing dishes etc.

Staying in a hurricane area I keep it full for over 6 months. Never drain it.
The tank has never been sanitized in the 10 years I have owned it.

I have never been sick from drinking water from it, or had anything grow on my skin or eat my skin from washing from it.

I do use a good sink water filter for drinking & cooking.

This result sounds very reasonable and even more so if using treated City delivered water.

I do not think the water will deteriorate in a matter of days or even 30 days..........
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used water in the tank for drinking for up to a month. Starting with city water which probably has enough clorine and adding to it as needed. I do sanatize the system after it's been sitting a couple of months before going out.
When I go hiking I bring small dropper bottles with clorine in them for sanitizing water I think is questionable.
They shoud have UV systems for RV's
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would expect the water to last indefinitely unless foreign matter is introduced. In most of the Bahamas they use rain water captured in cisterns as a sole water source. No treatment, and usually only cleaned if contaminated by sea spray.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #14

You need to identify the purpose of the water. There is a considerable difference between what is safe to shower with and what is safe to drink.

My neighbor at the marina came back to his boat after a couple of months and for some silly reason drank the water that had been sitting in the tank. We didn't hear much from him for the rest of the week. When we did see him, he was clearly in no state for conversation.

The pool test kits check that the sanitizer levels and pH are adequate to discourage growth of organisms. Is it safe to treat drinking water to pool levels? I suspect not.

Tags
tank, water