Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
How loud a noise should your converter make when you first plug it in

I'm not talking about the fan or any other humming noise, I mean the noise when you first plug it in or unplug it and it makes a loud knock or a quiet bang. We had a fifth wheel with 30amp service quite a while ago but I can't remember what kind of noise that made. If I remember correctly this is normal, but is it possible to be "too loud"? Otherwise the converter seems to be running just fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome. I don't plug or unplug my converter. Do you mean plugging in the MH power cord ? The Wfco that came with my Bounder had fan noise. I've since installed a Progressive Dynamics and it doesn't make a peep.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, yeah, that's what I mean. But I assume the noise I hear is the converter. Maybe it's not.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome. I don't plug or unplug my converter. Do you mean plugging in the MH power cord ? The Wfco that came with my Bounder had fan noise. I've since installed a Progressive Dynamics and it doesn't make a peep.
So there's no noise when you plug yours (MH) in? No quick knock sound or anything?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have to put my ear right up to mine to hear it at all. Also Progressive Dynamics.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have a surge/ voltage protector( electrical management system ) ? My Progressive Ind. ( EMS ) makes a loud click when the power is turned on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
My problem was assuming it was the converter. We all know how that goes. A little more research leads me to believe that it is the transfer switch and that that is normal.

.. of course I hate to assume again
Old 05-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink converter noise

spec4

When you plug in your coach to shore power, you should hear a click as it turns on the converter. That usually twlls you that the electrical connection has been made.

If that is not the sound you hear, can you ddescribe the sound you DO hear?

Happy Trails!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

On my Alpenlite 5er I installed the Progressive 30amp with remote and it takes about 30sec for it to come on and it makes a low sound snap but my Country Coach has the Surge Guard system and it takes about 2min then it makes some clicking sounds then a loud snap and the power is on. I always use the braker in the garage to turn on and off the power same at the parks.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #10

A transfer switch shouldn't make any noise when you plug into shore power. It's default is 'closed' for shore power and wouldn't need to operate. However, it should click when the Genset comes up to speed.

Your converter shouldn't make much noise either. If it does, then it would suggest that the transformer is either bad, or failing with shorted turns. Or something simple like a loosened wedge used to tighten the coils or loose screws on the transformer. Try this: your converter should plug into an AC outlet. Unplug it and then plug in shore power. If there's no noise, then it's the converter.

One other thing...bad or nearly bad batteries can cause the converter to make a loud noise. Have them checked.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
A transfer switch shouldn't make any noise when you plug into shore power. It's default is 'closed' for shore power and wouldn't need to operate. However, it should click when the Genset comes up to speed.

Your converter shouldn't make much noise either. If it does, then it would suggest that the transformer is either bad, or failing with shorted turns. Or something simple like a loosened wedge used to tighten the coils or loose screws on the transformer. Try this: your converter should plug into an AC outlet. Unplug it and then plug in shore power. If there's no noise, then it's the converter.

One other thing...bad or nearly bad batteries can cause the converter to make a loud noise. Have them checked.
I have read numerous places (including right here on iRV2) that the default position for the transfer switch is closed for the generator and open for shore power. This would make sense, at least for mine as it is clearly switching when shore power is plugged in or disconnected. Is it possible yours is different?

There is no switch noise if I start the generator when not connected to shore power.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post

I have read numerous places (including right here on iRV2) that the default position for the transfer switch is closed for the generator and open for shore power. This would make sense, at least for mine as it is clearly switching when shore power is plugged in or disconnected. Is it possible yours is different?

There is no switch noise if I start the generator when not connected to shore power.
That is the way mine works. When I plug into shore power I specifically listen for the transfer switch "thump" to kick in.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
That is the way mine works. When I plug into shore power I specifically listen for the transfer switch "thump" to kick in.
Ditto. We can hear a soft "thump" when plugging in to shore power.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

I hear the same noise. It seems from transfer switch.

Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter