Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

How low can they go? 2006 class A listed at $109k

We have settled on the rv we want.

It will be a Winnebago Tour with the 40fd floor plan.
I'm looking at 2006 models.
The lowest listed asking prices I am seeing is $109k

What could I expect to actually buy this for?

I'm in no big hurry. I have about 4months and I can travel pretty much anywhere in the country to purchase, but I have to be mindful of the cost of diesel to get it back home
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
We have settled on the rv we want.

It will be a Winnebago Tour with the 40fd floor plan.
I'm looking at 2006 models.
The lowest listed asking prices I am seeing is $109k

What could I expect to actually buy this for?

I'm in no big hurry. I have about 4months and I can travel pretty much anywhere in the country to purchase, but I have to be mindful of the cost of diesel to get it back home
From what I have seen (I am not sure of the letter designator is 40fd a 4 wheel slide) that is a good price. unless something wrong with it
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
You should also consider the Winne Vectra/Itasca Horizon 40fd 2005-08. Over the Tour it also has IFS, rear radiator and the 400 ISL Cummins with engine brake(all three highly desirable), and is not much more $$ than the Tour. Also the Vectra/Horizon 40ad 2005, the floorplan is almost identical except for 3 slides.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

I will.

When I search in rvtrader etc I just put in WInnebago 40fd so I can grab all the vectras , tours and itascas.

If I did the Vectra I would go 2005. We really can't spend more than 100k. Even that is stretching it. I would be much happier at 85k.

We were looking at a National TropiCal but after comparing it to the Winnie 40fd floor plan we are sure this will be best for us.

Now I'm trying to get an idea that if the rvtrader ad is listed at 109k - What can I really expect to negotiate down to? 90k? 85?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
You should also consider the Winne Vectra/Itasca Horizon 40fd 2005-08. Over the Tour it also has IFS, rear radiator and the 400 ISL Cummins with engine brake(all three highly desirable).
First time I've ever heard of the rear radiator being more desirable.......but maybe I'm missing something.

My brother just spent $4,000 replacing his rear radiator that rotted out on his Winnebago Ultimate Advantage. A common occurrence with aluminum rear radiators. So be sure and give that a close look on your pre-purchase inspection list.

Be aware that the initial price isn't the end of your expenditures. I spent $10,000 getting my coach baselined and up to speed. And I had it inspected at an RV place and a truck place before purchasing. Given that additional expense, what I thought was an excellent buy wasn't quite so great! Be sure and leave some room for the unexpected repairs.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

Noted.

We have been factoring that in.

But still back to the original question.

What kind of discount can I expect off the listed price on a used class A?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

I don't think anyone can answer your question. The only factor is how much the seller is willing to come down. Nobody knows that but the seller.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #8

Evergreen Owners Club
offer $ 80 k and then wait for them to counter offer . If they say $ 100 k tell them that you will meet in the middle at $ 90 k if that is a good # for you

good luck
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

If that is the lowest price you have seen, good luck going too much lower. Obviously depends a LOT on seller's financial conditions too, like what is owed if anything.

I bought the best deal I could find but only talked the seller down $2K. That said, it was listed 15K under everyone else. I also found a few recent sales and comped based on actuals. VERY tough sometimes pricing private party used, as many sellers may ask what they owe, regardless of actual value!

Hope this helps.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #10

Oh, and besides radiator mentioned above, assume it has original tires and budget for that. budget a lot! You can easily get date codes of tires and if they are original they HAVE to be replaced. Mine were $5500
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That coach could probably sell for a $115K if it's clean. If it's a private party, I don't think you'll see the price budge much. If I was selling it and you offered $80K, I wouldn't even call you back. It's no longer a buyer's market when it comes to 2004 and up DP's. When the economy went south in 09, many companies went out of business and the rest quick making/selling as many DP's. Now there is a shortage of good used coaches that are a few years old.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
You should also consider the Winne Vectra/Itasca Horizon 40fd 2005-08. Over the Tour it also has IFSr, rear radiator and the 400 ISL Cummins with engine brake(all three highly desirable), and is not much more $$ than the Tour. Also the Vectra/Horizon 40ad 2005, the floorplan is almost identical except for 3 slides.
Sorry, I should have said the Vectra/Horizon has IFS, side radiator and the 400 ISL Cummins with engine brake(all three highly desirable)
Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought a '11 Bounder. Asking price at dealer was $125k Way too high, Got it for $103k and it was still $10k more than if I went 250 miles south for another at $92k asking. But I'm getting free service, and everything WILL be working when I'm done. If bought south I'm stuck fixing it myself or driving 500 miles both ways ($225 gas).
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I don't think anyone can answer your question. The only factor is how much the seller is willing to come down. Nobody knows that but the seller.

I agree you will need to negotiate with the owner to find bottom. A private owner my still have an open loan that would control his price. A dealer ??? I would think has some has some wiggle room, they need profit just a matter of how much! I believe most folks start a bit high knowing that most buyers will want to receive some sort of discount. If a "dealer" he needs some room built in for a possible trade in. Bottom line you never will know without negotiating with the seller.
That's my two cents !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote