Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
Country Coach Owners Club
I had my fuel gauge out for awhile and recently just got it fixed. If we're plugged in and not using the heater I'd figure about 7 mpg with utilities going (heat and gen)I find that 5 mpg is a better figure. I also factor in Mnt driving. I try to keep it to about a 1/2 tank so I don't get sticker shock when ever I fill up. That's generally 300-400 miles (300 if I'm using heat and gen)

pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 128 gallon tank. When the gauge gets down to 1/2 I start looking for a good place to fill up. When it gets down to 1/4 I get desperate and find anything I can get into! My generator will not run when the main tank gets below 1/4.

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
Our tank is 200 gallons thou it only registers about 125 right now. When it hits about 1/2 tank I pull up the 4 apps that I use to start looking at prices of diesel on the route. Then we pull out and fill up. It comes out to anywhere between 80 to 120 gallons that we get.
We have pulled into everything from very large truck stops to little mom and pop places and usually at that point we were also towing a 20 ft equipment trailer on top of the 40 ft RV. Thom used to drive the large trucks when he was in the service and continued driving very large vehicles for several of the jobs he's had. So driving this thing was no real problem just a little difference in turning, a few times around the block and all's good.

The 4 apps in order are:
My DAT Trucker Services
Gas Buddy
Love's truck stops
Pilot/Flying J truck stops
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Supposedly according to Monaco my fuel tank holds 128 gallons. (???)

I do not trust my fuel gauge.

My Aqua-Hot and Generator will both quit when it takes 85 gallons to fill the tank. Don't ask me how I know that.

Therefore, if I plan to stop for the night without hookups and the fuel gauge says less than one half I will always make sure to fill up first and then stop. Or if the tank gauge says more than half, I am good to go for the night and then fill-up sometime the next day.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
mine has a capacity of 110g, i have never let it drop to below 1/4 tank. in some areas like az, nv, oregon etc, diesel fuel is generally cheaper, i would pump it up to full before entering cal; in cal, most time my tank was 1/2 full.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
Depends on where I am, cost of fuel, do we need to stop. For instance We take an annual trip out west, 1250 miles one way, and drive around the clock. So, when out in the boonies at night we might go to 1/2 tank or about 50 gallons. But near home I may go down to 1/4 or less. And, if we're using the generator or overnighting in a parking lot or tailgating we might fill up at 3/4 of a tank or more.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Our 28' class A only has a 40 gallon tank, but as others I get Real nervous when it gets to a 1/4. Usually fill up around a half or just under,,, by that time everybody is ready for a rest stop anyway. 11-13 mpg... Best of 14 one time. I ran out of gas Once about 30 years ago when my old car didn't have a working gas gauge.. I just wrote it down to keep track. Last thing I want is to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere with my family... My Dad always said, "it doesn't cost any more to run on the top half as it does the bottom half"....
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #36
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Depends on whether or not I have to "go" or if the dogs are getting rammy. Never before 1/4 of a tank when I'm on the road. Worst case I let it go down to the red which takes 80 gallons (100 gallon tank).
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
...Depends somewhat on where I am . . .Debbie - down to 1/2
...and where I'm going. If going to a new area, I scout out the fuel stops before leaving home in "The Next Exit." I compute where I'll be in relation to the fuel stops so I never have a problem with a shortage. The D/W says she doesn't push.
2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #38

My Dad would fill before it got down to 3/4. Then started running rough. I told him that some of his fuel was 8 years old. Was good after one tank filled from less than 1/8
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I fill everytime we stop but I would never let it get below a 1/2 tank. I like being prepaired for an emergency and having it topped off kind of takes the edge off. You just never know when you could get stranded and need that fuel to run the generator. JMHO
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #40
Rexhall Owners Group
Like Barbara and some others have posted, I try to plan the next days fuel stop when I'm doing the route planning. ( refuse to totally trust the GPS without looking at maps the night before, but that's another story )I mostly use the PFJ RV guide, and look for stations with RV lanes. Getting gas at the 4-wheeler pumps is very stressful, with my 35 footer towing a dolly and car. Interestingly I noticed that out west most of the stations had the pump lanes laid out parallel to the road, while nearer the east coast, they are usually perpendicular to the road and present pull through challenges. I guess it's a price of real estate and elbow room thing. But if I can plan the next day's route, and know where I'm stopping for gas, I sleep better.
2003 Rexhall Rexair, 3550 Ford V10 with Banks
2014 Honda CRV-AWD via Blue Ox
Travel with SWMBO and Golden Doodle co pilot
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #41
Have a 2103 Journey. 100 gal.
Start lookin at half tank or 300 Mi. Which ever comes first!
John and Susan 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U-41'.
2011 Honda CRV Toad Our rescue dog Annie.Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #42
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 150 gal tank. The most fuel I've ever purchased is 106 gallons. At about 7.4 mpg, I've nominally got over a thousand miles in the tank. Like most fuel gauges, mine is not precisely accurate, so I tend to rely on the odometer. I've learned that at about 1/3 quantity my generator loses fuel, so I rarely cross that line, and then only in predictable circumstances. In the manner in which we usually travel, 700 miles between fuel stops takes 3 days, so its not inconvenient at all.

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote