Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
My tank is about 75 gallons and if im traveling I'll let it get down to 1/4. When I return or stop anywhere for a period of time I'll fill up before I stop.
In the furture I'm going to use the obdometer more and relie on the gauge less.
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeAndTam View Post
My tank is about 75 gallons and if im traveling I'll let it get down to 1/4. When I return or stop anywhere for a period of time I'll fill up before I stop.
In the furture I'm going to use the obdometer more and relie on the gauge less.
The odometer does not factor gen fuel consumption or if there is a leak. I think I will rely on the gauge and continue to operate on the top half of the tank. But all inputs should be used for decision making. Odometer readings are important but my system also provides fuel consumption data.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on other things but on the motor home if I can I like to keep it over 1/2 tank,, Less I'm "on the road" then I'll go down to 1/4...(But fill up before I park for the night)

WHY, generator needs at least a quarter tank or it shuts down.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #46

200 gallon and I always try to top it off after each run. Then its not as painful money wise.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #47

At about ½ tank we start looking for fuel. That is about 275 to 300 miles or so and it is time to stretch your legs anyway. This will generally allow us to get by with only 2 swipes of the charge card at the pump. Our tank is 80 gals.
rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rini2 View Post
At about ½ tank we start looking for fuel. That is about 275 to 300 miles or so and it is time to stretch your legs anyway. This will generally allow us to get by with only 2 swipes of the charge card at the pump. Our tank is 80 gals.
I understand why they do it but I wish they would remove the $ cap when filling up. That way, I wouldn't have to look at the pump display after filling up. Sometimes ignorance is bliss..

I try to not get below 1/4 usually. Our MH is old and who knows what is swilling around at the bottom of that tank. I also try to get it down as close to that 1/4 tank when I park it since we don't travel with it much yet and it takes a lot les Stabil then. Damn ethanol. If I had a diesel, then I would keep it topped off.
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #49

My gauge is apparently not accurate , when we first got it I ran out of gas with the gauge showing Over 1/4, apparently, the pickup tube is near the front of the tank, if going up hill the fuel is all at the rear of the tank, so if its low enough on fuel going up Hill, it can't pick up the fuel. So now I start looking at 1/2 now.
When I fill it, it goes forever before the needle moves, but when it does start moving , it goes down pretty fast .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #50

I fill as soon as I can when the gauge hits 1/2. Seems to hurt less putting 50 gals of diesel rather that 90 gals.......
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #51

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
200 gallon and I always try to top it off after each run. Then its not as painful money wise.

joe

Is that a Country Coach in your profile? Looks like an Allure or Intrigue so how do you squeeze 200 gallons in it?
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
We have 150 gal tank.
I use the Aladdin rather than the fuel guage to tell me useable fuel remaining.
At 40 gal remaining an annoying alarm starts.
I can stop the alarm but after a corner or a change in camber the alarm starts again.
After 4 to 10 alarms and button presses to silence the dam thing I finally give up and start looking for fuel.
I've not yet had the gen set stop.
The Aladdin includes the generator and aquahot usage. I've added 130 gallons.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Is that a Country Coach in your profile? Looks like an Allure or Intrigue so how do you squeeze 200 gallons in it?
That's the Monaco in the picture. Not sure on the 200 gallon tank but I suspect as my dad ordered it new in 1996 he probably requested it. I will ask him.

Like most of the posts I enjoy the fact that the range allows looking for price to fill up. I mean it does make a huge difference between Tennesee @ $3.55 and New York State @ $4.00 to $4.10

You can almost buy a free dinner with the savings.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote