Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

How Low Do You Let Your Fuel Tank Get?

When my fuel gauge gets below the 1/4 mark, I start to get nervous and head for a fuel pump. However the most fuel I have ever pumped into my 100 gal. tank at one time is 72 gal. and that was when the fuel gauge was close to the empty mark.

Just curious, what size fuel tank do you have and what's the most fuel you have ever pumped into it at one time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I try to fill up BEFORE it hits the 1/4 mark because the generator will go off if it gets below that mark. I usually know where I will stop for gas on my regular routes. It is difficult to fill my motorhome so I start looking for easy pull-thru stations after I pass the 1/2 mark if I haven't already planned a location in advance.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Depends somewhat on where I am . . . in Utah or Wyoming, for example, maybe more often than a more densely populated area.

Me - down to 1/4
Debbie - down to 1/2
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #4

80 gal tank last fill 67 gals
Flair30h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #5

We have had the tank nearly empty (trip computer said "0" miles to empty). Returned to us that way from the dealer after they took it to another location for repairs they couldn't do. Threw a quick $50 bucks in just to make it home. Thankfully, there is a gas station fairly close to the dealership.

Anyway, DW gets very nervous about finding a filling station we can fill up at so we start looking at 1/2 tank and usually fill by 1/4. Our tank is 80 gallons and on rare occasion we have pumped 70 gallons.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

80 gallon tank; we start looking for a station at 1/2 tank. We have never gone below 1/4.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i get nervy at 1/4 tank
however last year i screwed up and let it get to below the red line of empty.
when we finally could exit and get fuel i squeezed in just over 90 gallons in a 100 gallon tank
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
When my fuel gauge gets below the 1/4 mark, I start to get nervous and head for a fuel pump. However the most fuel I have ever pumped into my 100 gal. tank at one time is 72 gal. and that was when the fuel gauge was close to the empty mark.

Just curious, what size fuel tank do you have and what's the most fuel you have ever pumped into it at one time.

200 gallon, but I try to fill up at 1/2 tank; mostly because (100 gallon x $4.00) makes my cry at the pump. It's so embarrassing.....

My DW is worried about what might happen if we need 150 gallons or more...
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #9

Whenever I get down to 1/2 a tank, I look for convenient places to stop and refuel. Have done this for years, regardless of my tank size. My DPs had >100gal tanks but my smaller rig only has about 35 gal. We stop often and hardly ever drive more than 2 hours without stopping in any case. Have to walk the dog and streach our legs and we are seldom in a rush to get anywhere. Most often the journey is the destination for us.

Do not like to travel with low gas, propane or fresh water tanks because one never knows what is over the next hill or around the next curve. Have been held up for hours at times (more than 20hrs once in a severe snow storm in very cold and windy conditions where the roads were blocked - and I was glad to not need anything. )
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
75 gallon, I have put 70 in it but quite by accident. Once on a trip I was bucking a quartering wind and just did not realize how much gas I was using.

I can go about 500 miles per tank full, but we travel about 300 miles per day usually most of the time less. My first stop in the morning of a new day is to a service station to fill the tank. I seldom go below a quarter of a tank.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #11

The night before, I plan my fuel stop based on miles between fillups, usually between 1/3 and 1/4 tank. I use GasBuddy to find a station/price I like at about that distance. I also check Google Earth for a street view of the way in and out of the pumps.

I dont do the usual truck stops like P/FJ. I find major dealer stations that are 10 to 17 cents lower, easy in/out, and also get cash back on my card. Happy trails!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Dear Navigator NEVER lets the RV (or the toad) get below 1/4 full.

For her it's security - For me it's the generator sucking air thing.

Only let it get to the low fuel warning 1 time, when we were on a last day haul home...that is 50 miles to empty according to the little black box...put in 72gal by the time we stopped.

We are lucky, because currently the gauge is ridiculously accurate...1/4 means 1/4. On the 75 gallon tank at 8MPG, that's 450 miles down the road on just over 56 gallons and just under 19 gallons left. We usually don't get that far in 1 day, so it often comes out to a fill-up once a day.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
100 gallon tank, I try and fill up before it gets to 1/2 to lessen the sticker shock. Due to poor planning I once took 84 gallons. I try and use Costco as a 1st choice and then truck stops.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
half a tank for me equals 150 gallons
yup- can carry 300 gallons
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote