Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #15

I can appreciate an older coach with low miles. We previously owned a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40DST for 10 years until we purchased our new coach nearly two years ago. As we are still in the workforce we only put approximately 12,000 on the coach in the 10 years. We had the coach serviced each year in the spring and never had any major problems with the coach, other than a Norcold refrigerator problem. We never changed the tires and although being advised to replace the tires, the coach had the original tires when we drove the coach from VA to Buffalo, NY, to receive our new coach. I recommend having a certified technician go over the coach and review all the critical electrical systems, engine, and chassis. If all is well after that, and if the coach is still available, and at the price point you are ok with, you can then make the decision that works best for you.

By the way, we also received top dollar for our coach when we traded it in.
Stan Boddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #16

I'd be worried about the generator too as those things love to run but aside from that I would assume he would use the rest of the features while parked for the season . Toss him a reasonable offer .Doesn't seem like he is going to be too realistic on price so he will probably be storing it soon for another year.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
OK, a quick look at NADA shows average retail as around $65K. Your're saying he's asking 27% more? That's over $82K! Plus you need new tires, batteries and maybe a few other things over $5K. Now you're 87K out of pocket.

A quick look at some of the RV sites shows many of the same model and year at an asking price of around $65K, which means they probably sell for less.

I know its hard to think when you find a great motorhome which your like and seems in great condition, but is it worth $22+K more (and it's still a crapshoot same as any other used motorhome).

The seller is like a lot of private sellers out there, they over value their motor homes and are not realistic. Personally (and I have also pulled the trigger when I should have waited) I would wait him out and make a lower (realistic) offer and stick to it.

I don't think many other knowledgeable buyers (and you seem to know what you are doing) would pay the extra $20K.
Chris
For the record he simply made sure he "booked" the coach for $83k, implying his asking price of $75k is a killer deal. Of course the coach doesn't book for $83k, not even close, which I explained to him (and earlier in this thread). But like another person mentioned a few responses back, so many owners are waaaayyyy prouder of their RVs than they should be (price-wise when it comes time to sell)

I'll throw him a reasonable offer, probably tomorrow, and we'll see if he is a reasonable seller. If not I'll move on. In fact a 39' Discovery just hit the market this afternoon. I've already made an appointment to see it tomorrow
Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #18

Without a complete inspection by a qualified mechanic from front to back top to bottom I would not be interested. Price has nothing to do with it, nor the low mileage. It is about the non use and lack of operation of important vital components.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Be sure not to add options that came standard on that model coach. Like, my Camelot is loaded from the factory, I would not add standard stuff. Many think you should not add any options when getting the value.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got it. Didn't mean to derail your question. Just felt like the age, miles, and price go hand in hand. Given your original question the mechanics of the coach the engine and chassis should be in excellent condition given the low mileage and should not (based on your information regarding annual maintenance) require much at all to get her ready for the road. The fact you found a "like new" coach on the furnishings and care is an awesome find and I agree that you would not be sorry if you bought it. Good luck with your decision and thanks for the clarification.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #21

I don't think dealers will give squat for options; except an engine upgrade. And I would not give too much weight to NADA either. What are comparable units selling for? Selling for, not asking.

As far as sitting around goes, it's my understand seals really can dry out and then fair under stress. How to check that? I don't know. Still, because I'm foolish, I might take a chance. But not if I'm paying more than low Nada. If he wants $20,000+ more than other listings for the same rig that money could cover a lot of repairs -- and there's still no guarantee his rig won't need repairs too.

I think you're right to make an offer you're comfortable with and see how much he loves his coach. If he wants more wish him luck (sincerely mind you) but make clear he can call you if he has trouble selling it and maybe he'll catch you before you buy a different one. Hopefully you'll be able to say that in front of his wife.

Good luck and let everyone know how it goes.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #22

I'll say this. In 2012, I bought a 2007 that only had 2200 miles on the clock. On the way home, I blew out my lower radiator hose because the clamp was rusted. I replaced all the hose clamps on the engine, muffler, changed all the filters and replaced the brake cans and slack adjusters all due to sitting. I bought mine for about $20 grand under NADA book and put maybe $2000 into getting it road ready. I've since added about 20,000 trouble-free miles. I'd do it again, but only for a GREAT deal.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all who have weighed in but it looks like it has all been for naught, I called the owner and he has an offer on the table which is scheduled to close Sunday.

That's fine, yesterday evening a 2003 39L Discovery came on the market which we looked at today. It only has 20K miles on it, it test drove perfect, all systems check out and it is the quad slide model which DW loves. 1 year old Michelins all the way around, 1 year old batteries (both chassis and house). At 20,000 it has been used "enough" but not too much.

I'm not in love with the Discovery basement, but the 330 CAT/Allison is the bomb, the floor plans are really nice, very livable. Plus, Fleetwood has made like a billion Discovery coaches, very popular, everybody know how to work on them, parts are easy to find. They're the Ford Taurus of motorhomes. Solid, dependable, been made forever, nice middle of the road vehicles.

I offered right at average book which was less than he wanted but he was a pragmatic guy and accepted the offer. Unless something really weird happens I think we have a deal which we'll consummate tomorrow or over the weekend.

Goodbye Monico owners forum, hello Fleetwood forum!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the find! Things normally work out for the best if we give them a chance
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Congrats on the find! Things normally work out for the best if we give them a chance
Agreed. As I get older and hopefully a little wiser I find swimming upstream more distasteful all the time. If experience has taught me anything it's forcing something seldom works out. He who floats with the current usually catches the biggest fish, and patience, as it turns out, really is a virtue. Damn, my parent were right again.

It's only took me like 60 years to figure that out.

Thanks again to all who weighed in, see you on the Fleetwood forum (and class A of course). I'm sure I'll have questions.

Folks on IRV2 are the bomb!

cheers...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
Thanks to all who have weighed in but it looks like it has all been for naught, I called the owner and he has an offer on the table which is scheduled to close Sunday.

That's fine, yesterday evening a 2003 39L Discovery came on the market which we looked at today. It only has 20K miles on it, it test drove perfect, all systems check out and it is the quad slide model which DW loves. 1 year old Michelins all the way around, 1 year old batteries (both chassis and house). At 20,000 it has been used "enough" but not too much.

I'm not in love with the Discovery basement, but the 330 CAT/Allison is the bomb, the floor plans are really nice, very livable. Plus, Fleetwood has made like a billion Discovery coaches, very popular, everybody know how to work on them, parts are easy to find. They're the Ford Taurus of motorhomes. Solid, dependable, been made forever, nice middle of the road vehicles.

I offered right at average book which was less than he wanted but he was a pragmatic guy and accepted the offer. Unless something really weird happens I think we have a deal which we'll consummate tomorrow or over the weekend.

Goodbye Monico owners forum, hello Fleetwood forum!
Agree, but hope you won't drive it that way
Congrats on finding what I think is the better choice! At least Fleetwood is still around to provide some level of support.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everything happens for a reason! If it was meant to be it was meant to be! Congratulations and enjoy the road. Safe Travels!
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Let me first state that I personally do not buy used, so I might be slightly biased. Having said that, I would wait him out. Make him an offer you believe is fair and give him a time frame. Once he realizes he will not sell his coach at that price, he will become more realistic. We all want top dollar and believe our coach is worth more then someone is willing to pay. Be patient. If he won't come down in price, continue to shop around.

Good luck!
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote