Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What else would you do with all those carpet remnants lying around the house?
Crawl under and drain ur own url. I use the oilpan drain plug with a tap and nipple to drain into an oil jug - its slower though than straight out the drain but you dont have to handle it twice. Find out the base size of your oil filter and buy a plastic base that fits so you can just use a socket wrench to remove and tighten. You do need to be flexible though crawling around under there can be a challenge for old rotator cuffs or other war wounds. Substantial savings and convenience doing it yourself!

ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did my 25 hour initial change on the generator but have not had a chance to do the service on the diesel. I think I may take it in some place that will let me watch, then get all the filter part numbers. I may buy extra filters (especially fuel) and carry them on da bus for an emergency BUT I kinda feel like the other gents above. Used to do all maintenance on all the things I had but now I have a lot better things to do. I just would like to assure I know how by watching,(not that I probably could not figure it out for myself) then sit back and watch others do the work. After all I don't mind keeping good hard working folks in a job.

camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I service everything I own, if you want it done right you do it yourself. Retired service oil heavy construction, still like to get my hands dirty. Yes there are some things I can't do but when it comes to oil, I got it.
Had my valves adj at Peterson Cat plus they ran the ECM cost $400 but I got it ready by removing the mirrors bolts in the floor and cleaning the top of the motor took about 4hrs. At $125 an hour I think I save $500.00 that buys a few gallons of fuel
2 stroker
Wish we'd have had time to do that with the Magna! Just to get to the engine and inspect and assess the damage the estimate was $5,100. By then it had been towed to Cummins NW with a dead engine so it was too late for me to pull stuff apart.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Being north of 70 I found I was spending more time checking to make sure they in fact
did a correct service and always found problems, I just do my own.

I'm also on the far side of 70 and I do everything I can but am limited if there is the need for special tools or special knowledge.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #19

i don't enjoy doing it but i do, for the sake of saving money
it's not that bad after all if you have basic skills of diy in your household/on your cars. rv is big, intimidating but the principle is similar. i changed all fluids/filters, fixed engine lift pump leaking, upgraded tvs, solar system etc. not only keeping my shallow pocket intact, but also shielding off the chances of letting some careless guys touch it making things worse.
the only major thing i had a mechanic do was replacing the cracked manifolds on isc 350. afterward, i thought i could have done it myself
i'll continue doing it as only as i can...
Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
What else would you do with all those carpet remnants lying around the house?
Crawl under and drain ur own url. I use the oilpan drain plug with a tap and nipple to drain into an oil jug - its slower though than straight out the drain but you dont have to handle it twice. Find out the base size of your oil filter and buy a plastic base that fits so you can just use a socket wrench to remove and tighten. You do need to be flexible though crawling around under there can be a challenge for old rotator cuffs or other war wounds. Substantial savings and convenience doing it yourself!
i installed a fumoto valve on my oil drain. about $22, you can drain oil to a jar like turning faucet on in kitchen. so easy recommended.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have always had our MH serviced by Danco (commercial maintenance & repair center) in Austin since getting our first MH in 2006. Richard checks fluids and air etc. My husband has the skills but we would rather pay someone else do it and we go have FUN!

IOHO - let someone else do it and you enjoy life and RVing!!!

Life is good, Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am 75 years old and nobody touches my motorhome but me. I have seen too many people have problems with other people doing it. Most say, I let the professional guys do it. At most of the dealerships I went to, it was the washboy who changed the oil. I carry a spare and will change the tire if it is called for. The last time I replaced the tires, I removed all six tires and put them on a trailer carried them to Goodyear picked up six new tires and then to the tire shop. They mounted and balanced all six tires for $20.00 a tire. I must be Scottish because I love saving money. I like to put away the money I save and use it for RVing.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #23

At 66 I do all of my own and I enjoy doing it.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
I do as much as I can. If it has the potential for an expensive foul up do to lack of knowledge I'll let someone who knows what they are doing handle it.
Same here.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
64 and do it all. Like a previous poster said the wash boys run rampant when it comes to servicing. I don't think the dealers take servicing seriously. An experienced eye can catch a lot of other things that could go wrong.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll continue to do mine until I can't crawl under it.

Annual lube, oil, filter + both fuel filters. Generator also annual oil and filter.

Freightliner in Gaffney replaced belts, air dryer, and lubed brake cams.

Hardest part is getting to a couple of the zerk fittings and pumping the handle by yourself.

I'll service for the third time next month. After that, I will have probably saved enough for at least two tanks of fuel. Easy peasy.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #27

Diy service

I do all my own service and most of my own repairs. I'm In the, if you want it done right camp you must do it yourself. I get great satisfaction from being able to do it my self. Just today I installed new shocks and motion control units.
Rj
2005 CC Inspire #51264
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I do the things I can like oil changes. Left the starter diag and replacement to professionals. I needed the roof cleaned. Saw an add for $25.00 per ten feet of rv for someone else to wash it. Decided to do it myself. While washing, I noticed my skylight over the shower had cracks in the corners. Doubt I would know that today had I paid someone to wash the roof. Trade offs with either decision.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
service, motorhome