Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Catching oil filter and drips

I use that little plastic container that some lettuce comes in - its like a small pan.
Saves wiping down the axle at least.

ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I do as much of my own as possible.
Oil change and chassis lube is pretty easy.
AND if gives me a chance to look under the rig to see if anything looks unusual.

I just can't see paying money to have something like this done when I can do it. Also, taking a car in for a oil change is a hassle because you usually have to wait. Taking a RV is a much bigger hassle. Then you have the new kid who puts in too much oil and ruins your engine
Plus I can't play golf, and don't watch sports...I am a tinkerer at heart.
Regards,
Dan (Mr Cheap...)
Dan, I agree with yo 100%. Oil, Filter, greasing, fresh fuel filters and it was all done for under $100. Took me about 3 hours on a Saturday morning. I was able to look over everything under the coach as well. Plus I know the job was done right and there isn't dirt tracked through the RV by someone who's just doing a job.
I have a 12 gallon oil drain pan that is perfect for the job (Tractor Supply had it). Has a pour spout built in so you pour the old oil into jugs for disposal. I have a hydraulic service center near my home that takes the oil for burning in their shop heater.
Next project will be switching to the OAT coolant. Got everything purchased just got to decide which Saturday.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Over the last 50 years I have allowed "others" to do my oil change 3 times and that was only because is was free as part of a new car purchase. I do all non-warranty work and even some work covered under the warranty just because it's easier and faster to do it myself.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Over the last 50 years I have allowed "others" to do my oil change 3 times and that was only because is was free as part of a new car purchase. I do all non-warranty work and even some work covered under the warranty just because it's easier and faster to do it myself.
I bought a 2012 Civic as a towed car. They offered the first oil change free. The first time in fifty years I let someone else change my oil. Next oil change I crawled under there and found one of the four dust pan bolts was not put back in.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #47

I do my own stunts!! All repairs and services.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I bought a 2012 Civic as a towed car. They offered the first oil change free. The first time in fifty years I let someone else change my oil. Next oil change I crawled under there and found one of the four dust pan bolts was not put back in.
We took the Odyssey in to have the oil changed at one of the oil service companies. They had a hard time getting the maintenance minder reset and were leaning very hard on the air bag to push the button. Now the air bag error light stays on almost all the time. Then, when we got home there was a call from them saying they had forgotten to put the air cleaner back in! Sure enough, it was gone and the air box was left open! So had to go back and get the air filter put back. Sent an email to the company and never heard a word back!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #49
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I posted earlier in this thread, but as I read through more of the posts.....my hat is off to all of you guys 60+ and I would bow to you guys who are 70+ if my back didn't hurt so bad at 59.

I hope I can still service mine at your age. Washing and waxing has gone from a one day job to several days with naps in between.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am in my high 70's and always do my own work. It takes me a long time to do anything but I seem to get through it. My tow vehicle (RX300) just needed plugs at 130000 miles. I knew I waited too long so I dreaded it. When I removed the plugs I was careful to use the plug to clean the threads by going in and out with the plug before removing. I don't think a shop would have given the TLC necessary to do a proper job. New iridium plugs and I am good for another 100000. This was a difficult job.

As far as changing oil in the MH, it is an extremely easy oil change. In fact it is easier than cars. No jacking, lots of room underneath. No panels to remove.

Changing my engine fuel filter used to be difficult. But after having fuel in face a few times, I cut a hole in my back storage compartment and built a removable panel. Now I just reach through and access my filter, lift pump and engine computer. Easy to change the filter now.

When I cannot work on the MH anymore then that will be my sign that I better not drive it anymore.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #51

When we bought our MH, DW paid Camping World to do a complete service to establish a base-line. From that point to now, I do everything myself. I'm 72, and the hardest part of everything related to servicing the MH is getting up from the floor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #52

I'm 71 and a month I do mine. I have a small engine, 5.9L Cummins only 14 quarts of oil. filter is easy to get to. I have a Concrete pad that the unit sets on, so no problem getting under Big Lu, as I call her. I will be greasing her today. I do a much better job than many of the Lube places, and when they use an air wrench they can strip out the oil drain plug.
You can get an easy oil drain plug which you don't even have to take the plug out, just turn a lever. makes it easy to put the used oil into one gallon containers, with a hose attached to the oil drain plug.
EZ Oil Drain Valve EZ 104 Thread Size 18mm 1 5 | eBay
This is a link to one, you'll have to find one that fits your engine, but its a place to start.
Oh yes, and I buy my oil at Wal-mart, Shell Rotella 15W 40, and take the used oil to either Wal-Mart or as I ride a Harley also, Harley will also take my used oil, there are many places that will dispose of used oil. If you have one of those big diesels, that take 40 quarts or so, you're gonna need a big collection pan and then good luck empting that thing That's why I like the ez oil drain valve. Gotta go, wife is making Texas toast, that smell is wafting up the stairs BYE.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #53

For those that are doing their own service work, are you a full timer? I am a newbie but my first two RV parks do not allow you to work on your RV in the park.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
For those that are doing their own service work, are you a full timer? I am a newbie but my first two RV parks do not allow you to work on your RV in the park.
Not a full timer.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #55

Not a full timer either, that would make a difference, however there are places where you can rent a garage, but that would probably negate the savings of DIY. I am sure some full timers will chime in with their information.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Great to hear from all you do it yourselfers. I'm just 64 and hope to be able to keep doing grease monkey work for a while yet. To my mind doing your own service work is a win, win, win deal. You get the job done right, learn about your rig and save money! Plus there is that feeling of satisfaction and being in control of your own destiny!

BTW my way better half and I travel in an '06 Allegro Bus 42 QDP pulling a '14 GMC PU when we have time.

Tags
service, motorhome