RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

How many have left Rving?

I made the following comment to the service center rep yesterday when I picked up my coach after having some warranty work: "I was very naive about the RV industry when I bought my first coach, and I'm not sure if I would have purchased an RV knowing what I know now". His response was "well it's not like the auto industry".
This conversation made me wonder: how many folks has the RV industry lost over the years because of the difficulties we all struggle with? Obviously not enough for things to change.
I'm going to make the assumption that most everyone on this forum would answer the question: would you do all over again? a resounding Yes, regardless of the problems in the industry, they love the benefits that an RV lifestyle offer. However, I would also speculate there have been many that did not feel that way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #2

Since you're asking the people that have already left, I assume you will not get any answers.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Since you're asking the people that have already left, I assume you will not get any answers.
RiverBurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #4

I've said this a lot here at iRV2... eventually (and fairly soon, say 20 years or less) the RV manufacturing industry will need to become like the auto industry *especially* as it relates to quality at delivery and with warranty service.

The very idea that you couldn't get your 6 month old Ford repaired at ANY Ford dealer would send customers running to join class action lawsuits. The quality of work will need significant improvement, too, and the bumping down of "bought elsewhere" warranty customers? Added to the lawsuit.

Expect the next generation of folks who've never changed a tire or oil to own torque wrenches, impact guns and socket sets? Dream on. The era of DIY repairs on in-warranty coaches is coming to a close. The only question is how soon.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I know several that have left. They had no idea that RV'ing was not as beautiful as the commercials make it out to be. If you do not enjoy maintaining an RV, they are a lot of work and many are just not cut out for it or have an RV service center close by that can do the work for them. I have a friend that just sold his after 3 years and is now doing vacation rentals and is really enjoying it. He pays the cleaning fee and walks away.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

I would not hold my breath waiting for a change. There are a lot of industries that do not honor warranties any differently than the RV businesses. They do it for the same reasons. Anger over folks who price shop to places where dealers will sell a unit at a low price because they do not expect to do any warranty service then the local owner comes in wanting free repairs because the unit is in warranty.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have not left, yet. But when we finally get around to selling ours we probably won't buy another RV.

And I can say that if we knew then what we know now, we'd never have bought one in the first place. Our Bounder has been relatively trouble-free, but the entire "experience" just hasn't been much fun considering the expense.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Most folks age out of RVing. The only question is whether the cost of maintenance gets too high or their ability to drive diminishes to the point where they no longer feel safe behind the wheel of a big RV. Some go the S&B and a downsized RV for occasional travel, some end up permanently parked or in a S&B with no RV.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #9

The guy I bought my first RV from a few weeks ago (40’ DP) sold out because he scared his wife half to death going over Raton Pass. He wasn’t done with it, but she was.

Nothing to do with “the industry”, just the logistics.
RiverBurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
that's what I was thinking. The ones of us left might not be a representative sample.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

This is our 1st time owning an RV. It has always been a dream for me as a child which has finally become a reality in my late 50s and retired with an 11 year old son who dreams of travel like me.
We take the RV everywhere we can. My husband likes to night fish so guess what he can fish all night, we're in the RV watching movies, listening to music, playing games, eating and having fun.
Will we eventually give it up maybe but I pray no time soon. Lol
Old 11-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Perhaps, but you know what they say about rear ends? (the politically correct version).
Old 11-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #13

Yesterday after the customer service rep at the dealership I had my coached worked on said to me "we don't sell Sportscoaches, so we are just not that familiar with servicing them" which I believe is a fair statement, I asked him "where would you have this coach serviced if you were me considering there is not a dealership in the state of Colorado that sells them"? He couldn't believe that, so he checked on his PC to find out to his surprise that I was correct. I will say this in this particular dealerships defense, the service rep was first class and their service department seems to be very good as well. However, this place has the same industry issues as the next. Would I bring my coach back there again, absolutely, even though I'm not sure I felt welcome there. We don't have room to store these big DP's etc...
Old 11-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My own advice that I would offer to anyone contemplating the purchase of an RV - if you aren't handy or willing to fix almost all issues yourself, consider another leisure activity. If you are unwilling or unable, your RV will spend a significant portion of its life - particularly if you purchase a brand new RV - awaiting service at a repair shop. Ugly advice to offer but very true.

bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving