Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An RV is more house than truck. Anyone that has ever bought a new construction home has become aware of a little thing called a "Punch List".

These are things that need fixing...IN A BRAND NEW HOUSE!

I am not saying it is good...just saying that's the way it is.
The owner is expected to demand repairs as they see fit.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
An RV is more house than truck. Anyone that has ever bought a new construction home has become aware of a little thing called a "Punch List".

These are things that need fixing...IN A BRAND NEW HOUSE!

I am not saying it is good...just saying that's the way it is.
The owner is expected to demand repairs as they see fit.

Safe travels
I just finished 2 custom homes.... punch list ....0..

I took care of everything before I sold the home..

guess I could have said things like the garage door doesn't open all the way...

or ,,, the stove doesn't work... but give me your money and all that will be fixed when you move in...

then when they move in say... the stove and garage door is covered by the manifactor... call thenm and see what they say...

you might have to get a better door

Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #17

Test drive on a windy day if u dont like how it handles move on to the next one. Fyi wind is no friend to any high profile vehicle
Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
we don't have any one that sells newmar to my knowlage what do they have in the 34' and under...

my full timer has to have a concrete floor.. so we don't wanna live in it ... just camp
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking or saying by this comment related to my post, Newmar has MH's from 29' up to over 40', and I must be missing something about the concrete floors, we live in our house and camp in our MH(for extended trips as well as the weekend getaway).
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #19

For what we pay for these things yes they should be right but it's just not the case.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
The bottom line is, as long as we keep buying them the way they are offered.....nothing will change
Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking or saying by this comment related to my post, Newmar has MH's from 29' up to over 40', and I must be missing something about the concrete floors, we live in our house and camp in our MH(for extended trips as well as the weekend getaway).
I'm not sure either... I didn't know you had a ford... I thought it was dp..
Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I just finished 2 custom homes.... punch list ....0..

I took care of everything before I sold the home..

guess I could have said things like the garage door doesn't open all the way...

or ,,, the stove doesn't work... but give me your money and all that will be fixed when you move in...

then when they move in say... the stove and garage door is covered by the manifactor... call thenm and see what they say...

you might have to get a better door
Good point but you are comparing crafting vs manufacturing. When we start paying for aircraft quality we can expect aircraft quality. And even then there are maintenance issues.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #23

I would have to agree the mindset of dealers in the rv world is backwards. When I go to sell my stuff I make sure it's ready to roll when the customer arrives. They seem to think that you buy it first and then they will fix it is a acceptable business model. This is what the dealer wanted us to do on our last purchase, I just laughed and said "I'll give you the money as soon as you're ready to give me my MH." Laughed even harder when they said that's not the way they do it. Told them if they wanted me to buy it that was the way it was going to be done. Motorhome was ready for delivery the next day...
Old 04-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a new owner, you have the privilege of using the coach first. In exchange, it's your responsibility to get EVERYTHING identified and fixed under the one year manufacturer's warranty. That's really what you paid top dollar for. You have ultimately purchased the right to tell the next owner that everything works fine. (when you go to sell or trade it).

If you really want to forgo the privilege, then simply purchase a slightly used late-model coach. Most little defects should be resolved when you purchase a late model coach.

As a hobby, I develop and sell abut a dozen new stick homes every other year. I would NEVER sell a new stick home without a complete house warranty policy in effect. That way, the new owner has the privilege of living and using their new home, and it's their responsibility to identify and have everything that goes wrong repaired under warranty, so they don't come after the developer, (me).

Hmm, sounds exactly like they just purchased a motorhome.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel slighted. My Freightliner drives like a Sports Car! I did have a wake up call tho. Glanced at the speedo once and I was doing nearly 90. One hand on the wheel and had no idea that I was going that fast. Now I get up to speed and turn on the cruise control.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything I know about buying new I learned from the Op - and my one new unit experience in 1991. I will always buy lightly used.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Test drive on a windy day if u dont like how it handles move on to the next one. Fyi wind is no friend to any high profile vehicle
That's for sure! My ACE 27.1 was fine stock until I drove it in a gusting 30-35 mph) cross wind, I moved the sway bar links (front and rear) immediately after that trip!
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #28

There should be quality control inspections during construction
and a complete inspection after completion. Plus another from the dealer before delivery. I'm talking about every part. I had several things that should have been seen during the build. Like a window that wouldn't close because it over lapped the frame. There's no way the installer could not have known it was installed wrong.