Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
YUP, you have finally got it!

If you want it done right and not have to fix it then cough up the dough.

Otherwise, be happy with what you got and can afford.

This situation is NOT exclusive to RV's.

Just look at the amount of product that is no longer made in the Good Ole USA.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
OH I get it.... you an buy brand A on a ford, or Brand B on a ford , or brand C on a ford...and on and on....

after all the fords ive had...and it didn't matter who built the coach..the ford chassis suck.. there is no reason for the ill performance year after year...
they should change the shocks,,fix the sway bars... fix the fuel tank ..

put some power in the things... the gas motor should be minimum of 400 hp ..dodge does it with a 5.9 , ford should easy do with a 6.8...

if you pay as much as you can ...you still get a ford...

I finally through in the towel and went to freight liner....

the same issue on delivery...shocks... wrong size tires.

my coach was $203,000.00...msrp.... it's wrong to think it should ride as good as it can, and the tires and shocks should be fine for 60,000 miles????

what does warranty mean any ways???

and hey, I want it right.. so I paid to fix it.... you mean to tell me I'm smarter than all ford and freightliners engineers... I'm able to make it work as it should???...

you should be able to ride down the road in comfort... the shocks and suspension should be right...the transmission should not need anything..

no CHF... no sumos. no 5 star....and if it does... ford and freightliner should do.... not me

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #58

And further more.... in the 34' and under.. I have the absolute best riding and handling production coach money can buy...there is not another better out there on a 208'' chassis...
sure. the bigger is gonna be better,.. nothing is gonna compete with weight and wheel base...

and sure.. the ford is gonna run faster, stop quicker,
but my freight liner is gonna be quieter, use less fuel and ride smoother..

not to menton last a long time for who ever buys it from me...

I'm just having my opinion here..... the chassis should be right for the coach...you should not have to change anything...

when my wife bought her boat, all I had to do was gas it and wash it...

Old 04-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #59

I build homes....

the home will never be any better than the slab it's built on...
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the RV's built and sold today are "engineered" by Pillow Arrangers, NOT real engineers.

Your coach was built by a Pillow Arranger.

If you want to look at a well engineered RV that was designed and built by real engineers, then go look at a Newell but don't look at the price tag.

I would buy a Newell in a heartbeat IF I could afford it but I don't and cannot so I accept what I have and continue to modify it and repair it.

Most of the manufacturing problems were fixed by the original first owner EXCEPT for the Thermal Checking which affected most of the fiberglass walls of the coach. Monaco filed bankruptcy over this issue and left thousands with the problem. It would cost me $50,000 to fix. Not going to happen so I have accepted it and moved on. I now use Black Velvet Wax to temporarily fill in the Thermal Check marks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO things went to hell when the tender system was started. Although the tender states lowest price not necessarily accepted how often have you heard of the lowest price being rejected. I have seen the tender process accept bids they knew full well the supplier could not successfully complete without losing money. Lowest price is what drives the market. Make it as fast and as cheaply as possible to be competitive and give the customer the lowest price.

All you have to do is follow the threads on this forum and observe how many threads are about buying as cheaply as possible and selling at the highest price.

If you want hand made quality on an assembly line you have to go elsewhere. If the MSRP becomes the realistic price you can expect a better produced unit.

Next we will see the RV manufacturers figuring out how to get production off shore to further reduce prices.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO things went to hell when the tender system was started. Although the tender states lowest price not necessarily accepted how often have you heard of the lowest price being rejected. I have seen the tender process accept bids they knew full well the supplier could not successfully complete without losing money. Lowest price is what drives the market. Make it as fast and as cheaply as possible to be competitive and give the customer the lowest price.

All you have to do is follow the threads on this forum and observe how many threads are about buying as cheaply as possible and selling at the highest price.

If you want hand made quality on an assembly line you have to go elsewhere. If the MSRP becomes the realistic price you can expect a better produced unit.

Next we will see the RV manufacturers figuring out how to get production off shore to further reduce prices.
ok, so freightliner is out for diesel... and ford is out for gas....

whatcha got????

I'm say'n start from the ground up and fix whats wrong...

till the chassis is right....nothing will be...

I have a couple $$$left.... whats better not built on a freightliner chassis

I know for a fact that ford and freight liner read these forums... so change the shocks already.. they are wrong... quit putting little tires on 8.25 rims to not be so tall.... fix the sway bars...

this far down the road and they have ride and handling issues???

ford and freightliner deliver the chassis and cash the check...no follow up??

it's not gonna cost anything..
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Most of the RV's built and sold today are "engineered" by Pillow Arrangers, NOT real engineers.

Your coach was built by a Pillow Arranger.

If you want to look at a well engineered RV that was designed and built by real engineers, then go look at a Newell but don't look at the price tag.

I would buy a Newell in a heartbeat IF I could afford it but I don't and cannot so I accept what I have and continue to modify it and repair it.

Most of the manufacturing problems were fixed by the original first owner EXCEPT for the Thermal Checking which affected most of the fiberglass walls of the coach. Monaco filed bankruptcy over this issue and left thousands with the problem. It would cost me $50,000 to fix. Not going to happen so I have accepted it and moved on. I now use Black Velvet Wax to temporarily fill in the Thermal Check marks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
your problems are associated with 14 year old coach and technology ,,

you probley paid 1/3 what I did even at a discount price...

I bought brand new...paid what they asked me to...
I don't want a motorhome with cracks in it

[ moderator edit ]
Old 04-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
ok, so freightliner is out for diesel... and ford is out for gas....

whatcha got????

I'm say'n start from the ground up and fix whats wrong...

till the chassis is right....nothing will be...

I have a couple $$$left.... whats better not built on a freightliner chassis

I know for a fact that ford and freight liner read these forums... so change the shocks already.. they are wrong... quit putting little tires on 8.25 rims to not be so tall.... fix the sway bars...

this far down the road and they have ride and handling issues???

ford and freightliner deliver the chassis and cash the check...no follow up??

it's not gonna cost anything..
Not sure exactly what you are expecting. I spent almost $15k "improving" the handling, braking, and overall performance of my Porsche. And while $5k alone was on coil overs and adjustable sway bars, and I could have easily spent another $2-$3k. But if Porsche set up the cars for the factory the way I wanted it most people would never buy one........ Handling and performance are very subjective, and no manufacturer is ever going to satisfy everyone.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I guess Ford could add all of the items you mentioned and force the manufacturers to build on the unit. However Ford only produces what the manufacturers spec out. If the manufacturers lengthen the frame or build the unit unbalanced Ford should know they are going to do that.

Bearing going out are similar. Not sure who manufactures the bearings but Timkin comes to mind. Timkin should know that Ford is putting them on a chassis that is too large or overtightening the bearing so Timkin should refuse to sell Ford the bearing Ford specs and insist on a heavier bearing?

Unfortunately these builds with many components produced by many manufacturers all at the lowest bid will forever be passed on to the consumer.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Well I guess Ford could add all of the items you mentioned and force the manufacturers to build on the unit. However Ford only produces what the manufacturers spec out. If the manufacturers lengthen the frame or build the unit unbalanced Ford should know they are going to do that.

Bearing going out are similar. Not sure who manufactures the bearings but Timkin comes to mind. Timkin should know that Ford is putting them on a chassis that is too large or overtightening the bearing so Timkin should refuse to sell Ford the bearing Ford specs and insist on a heavier bearing?

Unfortunately these builds with many components produced by many manufacturers all at the lowest bid will forever be passed on to the consumer.

I'm just say'n ford, freightliner should be involved with the finished product.... they should do the same tests that the real world has to offer...

take them down a bumpy road, drive them in the cross winds... pass a truck or two..
don't have to be race cars... but be able to safely hang with the flow of traffic...

in other words....do what you would expect them to...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #67

Quote:
I'm just say'n ford, freightliner should be involved with the finished product.... they should do the same tests that the real world has to offer...

take them down a bumpy road, drive them in the cross winds... pass a truck or two..
don't have to be race cars... but be able to safely hang with the flow of traffic...

in other words....do what you would expect them to...
I don't know how Newmar works with Ford, but I can tell you with a little over 10,000 miles on ours I have had no chassis problems and there is absolutely no need for any aftermarket upgrades. So you can't really just blow the Ford chassis off as being bad. I know you had some issues and I agree you shouldn't have had them. But when it comes to handling issues, that comes down to the Manufacturer and the chassis builder working together to get it right. All I can say is that they way ours was ordered(with optional handling components/longer wheelbase) as well as getting the heavier chassis upgrade, I'm am very pleased with the way ours handles and the power it has. Ours rides just as smooth/quiet as some diesel pushers I have been in. Sure if you are climbing a grade there is more engine noise, but on the normal freeway driving, just as quiet and smooth.

If you read the CCC of some MH's it is clear that the manufacturer is cutting cost by putting it on the smallest chassis possible, that is not a Ford issue, they just provide what is ordered. I passed on all those brands as I felt that if they were willing to compromise in something like that they were willing to compromise in other areas. And when you drove them the ride was terrible and in a few downright scary.

We paid a little more for the Newmar compared to others of similar size, but we got what we paid for, a smooth riding/handling MH, that was built right, that has plenty of power, and has not had to be in the shop for more than 4 hours total(in two trips to the dealer) for minor repairs and adjustments, and never left overnight. I actually wasn't a Ford fan until we bought this MH and the Ford chassis was the only option, and we are very happy with it.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Not sure exactly what you are expecting. I spent almost $15k "improving" the handling, braking, and overall performance of my Porsche. And while $5k alone was on coil overs and adjustable sway bars, and I could have easily spent another $2-$3k. But if Porsche set up the cars for the factory the way I wanted it most people would never buy one........ Handling and performance are very subjective, and no manufacturer is ever going to satisfy everyone.
I don't know how you are compairing a Porsche to my 33d excursion, must be because it has sooo much power and handles like a slot car..
Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #69

Quote:
I don't know how you are compairing a Porsche to my 33d excursion, must be because it has sooo much power and handles like a slot car..
Well of course......

But my real point is that it is that much of this discussion is personal preference / subjective, and even Porsche owners spend money "improving" the ride, handling, braking, and performance.

This particular discussion about MHs is basically the same one you'll find on any other car enthusiast forum..... Why didn't the factory do / include / offer ______________.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #70

how bout, Hey ford... bilstien makes a better shock than you do!!!

you buy the name bilstien... then find out its fords design'

if you bought a rolex opened it and found timex design...

that's ok right