Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

How many here think their new coach should work right when they get it????

Seems like everyone here is fine with chassis' that sway , ride harsh, need CHF.. shocks.. sumo springs.. air bags and whatever else...

should these things come with it when its new??? I mean really??? it comes with wrong or bad shocks??

I've bought a bunch of new cars through out the years... never ever had to do CHF to any of them to keep them on the road

and the sells men have the same answer..."it won't ride like this after you go home and load all your stuff up" they're right,.. now it over loaded and rides worse

so is this the ok ,it is what it is...

I get flamed here because I'm willing to stand up and say... my coach rides like crap...
I don't think part of fully enjoing my motor home should require major adjustment in suspension parts and enhancements

I think part of the coach builders responsabilty should be to make sure the
chassis is safe and tuned to the load....

back in the 70's and 80's they would build a box on the chassis that was over weight empty... you had to add a leaf to the rear first thing....

then I heard the feds stepped in and required the unloaded weigh to be posted ........

so what say you....

oh just so you all know ... I'm wear'n my fire suit....flame away

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #3

Have you ever considered a test drive prior to buying?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Joel
really...??? we test drove the excursion for a year before we bought it...

so everyone that's having these issues never test drove them....interesting concept...
Old 04-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Joel
oh I see... you drive a chevy truck..... I think I mentioned that in my post..

and a van
Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #6

I agree that you shouldn't have to add a bunch of stuff like the CHF, when buying a MH and paying what they cost. No manufacturer should be allowed to put out a product that needs upgrades just to be safe or comfortable. BUT...that is all about doing your research, test driving the MH and making sure you are buying what is the best fit for you and not just worrying about the price. I had read about all the handling issues different MH's had and getting the CHF done before we went out and test drove any MH's. In several we drove you could easily see that the ride was not acceptable.

When we drove the one we bought it felt totally different than all the others we drove. In doing my research I found that Newmar had several of the things that people normally do to the chassis, added to the chassis prior to the build of our MH. All you have to do is ask to see the Chassis MSRP sheet and you can see how it was built and anything that had been added/changed. Our dealer was adamant that no upgrades would be needed, even though some people do it and realize no difference.

We have put about 8000 miles on ours so far, and I see absolutely no need to add anything. It rides smooth, tracks well, does not sway, and doesn't get pushed around by the wind or big trucks. The engine and transmission along with the changed rear end ratio give it plenty of power, and reasonable gas mileage. So the bottom line is you can get what you are looking for, so do your research and keep in mind while doing so that you get what you pay for.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
really...??? we test drove the excursion for a year before we bought it...
Really? I thought you were the one that bought about 7 RV's in the last 6-7 months?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Really? I thought you were the one that bought about 7 RV's in the last 6-7 months?
yep,.. and you would think you would be able to go on a 200 miles trip with out the wheel falling off..

and you would think that after that... and getting rid of it it wouldn't happen again...

so after all the ford fails we went back the the freightliner that we had been looking at in the beginning...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow mo ho 003.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	90650   Click image for larger version

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 006.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	90651  

Click image for larger version

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 018.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	90652   Click image for larger version

Name:	winnabago wheel bearing 005.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	90653  

Old 04-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I agree that you shouldn't have to add a bunch of stuff like the CHF, when buying a MH and paying what they cost. No manufacturer should be allowed to put out a product that needs upgrades just to be safe or comfortable. BUT...that is all about doing your research, test driving the MH and making sure you are buying what is the best fit for you and not just worrying about the price. I had read about all the handling issues different MH's had and getting the CHF done before we went out and test drove any MH's. In several we drove you could easily see that the ride was not acceptable.

When we drove the one we bought it felt totally different than all the others we drove. In doing my research I found that Newmar had several of the things that people normally do to the chassis, added to the chassis prior to the build of our MH. All you have to do is ask to see the Chassis MSRP sheet and you can see how it was built and anything that had been added/changed. Our dealer was adamant that no upgrades would be needed, even though some people do it and realize no difference.

We have put about 8000 miles on ours so far, and I see absolutely no need to add anything. It rides smooth, tracks well, does not sway, and doesn't get pushed around by the wind or big trucks. The engine and transmission along with the changed rear end ratio give it plenty of power, and reasonable gas mileage. So the bottom line is you can get what you are looking for, so do your research and keep in mind while doing so that you get what you pay for.
we don't have any one that sells newmar to my knowlage what do they have in the 34' and under...

my full timer has to have a concrete floor.. so we don't wanna live in it ... just camp
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It appears that there is a start up market for a bunch of enterprising entrepreneurs to build the perfect coach.

IMO there will never be the "perfect" anything. It will depend upon the expectations of the purchaser. What some people find acceptable others describe as "crap". What some people find acceptable others describe as "exceptional". We all have our core values that we live by.

I am serious when I suggest that there is a market area for the perfect MH. Perhaps it is just a simple as buying a manufactured unit and applying the necessary or desired alterations. Much like AMG does for Mercedes.

When I see many of the alterations and upgrades I know the skill level exists in many locations to accomplish the results. All that is left is the start-up and the market.

Note: There may be some issues with selling a used RV. All vehicles are considered to be used if previously titled. The only way to get a new to you vehicle is to purchase directly from the factory in which case you are the first title holder.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It appears that there is a start up market for a bunch of enterprising entrepreneurs to build the perfect coach.

IMO there will never be the "perfect" anything. It will depend upon the expectations of the purchaser. What some people find acceptable others describe as "crap". What some people find acceptable others describe as "exceptional". We all have our core values that we live by.

I am serious when I suggest that there is a market area for the perfect MH. Perhaps it is just a simple as buying a manufactured unit and applying the necessary or desired alterations. Much like AMG does for Mercedes.

When I see many of the alterations and upgrades I know the skill level exists in many locations to accomplish the results. All that is left is the start-up and the market.

Note: There may be some issues with selling a used RV. All vehicles are considered to be used if previously titled. The only way to get a new to you vehicle is to purchase directly from the factory in which case you are the first title holder.
all you described is a dealership that makes sure they are right "BEFORE" they sell the unit...

if the dealership got in volved they could just return the unit till it was right...

as it is right now ... they roll them in their yard and sell them to you...

with the "that'll al be takin care of on delivery... give me the money

then when it isn't right...."maybe you should try different shocks"
Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #12

heres our first trip in the new bounder....on a tow truck

Old 04-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
all you described is a dealership that makes sure they are right "BEFORE" they sell the unit...

if the dealership got in volved they could just return the unit till it was right...

as it is right now ... they roll them in their yard and sell them to you...

with the "that'll al be takin care of on delivery... give me the money

then when it isn't right...."maybe you should try different shocks"
The dealer is testing your acceptance level. They are playing the game of don't do anything until someone complains. If both of us looked at the same unit and make up a list the list would not be the same.

The dealer is thinking "Why should I spend several hours of tech time fixing things that the buyer may not see?"

I understand what you are saying but cannot see an elegant solution to the problem.

An example would be some electrical work we just had done. The master electrician we had in would orient the screw slots in the same direction for all of them. I previously would tighten the screws to the same torque resulting in the slot orientation being all directions. Mighty picky but I was happy until observing that. I spent several hours going around the house and changing the slot orientation on all faceplates.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The dealer is testing your acceptance level. They are playing the game of don't do anything until someone complains. If both of us looked at the same unit and make up a list the list would not be the same.

The dealer is thinking "Why should I spend several hours of tech time fixing things that the buyer may not see?"

I understand what you are saying but cannot see an elegant solution to the problem.

An example would be some electrical work we just had done. The master electrician we had in would orient the screw slots in the same direction for all of them. I previously would tighten the screws to the same torque resulting in the slot orientation being all directions. Mighty picky but I was happy until observing that. I spent several hours going around the house and changing the slot orientation on all faceplates.
ALSO LIGHT SWITCHES THAT SAY NO INSTEAED OF ON