Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So if the gang (all over 21) wants to go get chicken and beer, How many can I haul in MY class A? as long as I stay below the rated weight? AND Some will just have to sit! on floor and on the rear bed???? so whats ya think!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So if the gang (all over 21) wants to go get chicken and beer, How many can I haul in MY class A? as long as I stay below the rated weight? AND Some will just have to sit! on floor and on the rear bed???? so whats ya think!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

A lot would depend on the rig type and the number of seat belts....There are eight seat belts in my rig...

Maybe let us know what type of rig?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its a 38 foot Damon Intruder (379)on a Workhorse W-22 chassis.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Im most states you must have a seat belt for every passenger in the vehicle.

If you don't care about seat belt laws, then as many as the GVWR allows.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:21 AM   #6

Something I don't understand. If you need a seat belt for each person in a motorcoach, how come you don't in a commercial bus? It seems to me it would be more important to provide seat belts in a vehicle used for paying passengers than it would be in a privately owned coach.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with you Lug Nut and will take it one step further. We allow small school children to ride in buses every day without seat belts, too.

I'm as safety conscious as the next guy and prefer to have passengers belted in. I always make sure that passengers are seated and restrained in heavy traffic where sudden moves and stops are the norm. Otherwise, I believe that, using reasonable caution, movement inside is OK and that I don't have to make a fetish out of the seat belts. I try to treat the coach in a manner similar to the airplane guidelines.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how come you don't in a commercial bus? It seems to me it would be more important to provide seat belts in a vehicle used for paying passengers than it would be in a privately owned coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

School busses and other passenger busses are specifically exempted from the seat belt laws. I've seen/heard lots of mumbo-jumbo about why they aren't necessary in that application but don't believe a word of it. The reason behind the reason is they didn't want to burden the school systems with the expense of 40-60 sets of seat belts in every bus. Pure self-interest on the part of the state & federal governments. They couldn't exempt school busses wihtout also exemtpoing passenger busses, so the bus industry got afree ride.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #9

the theory in school bus as to why no seat belts are the seats are padded and so close to one another that in an accident the children are protected on account they can not be thrown very far before the seat in front of them stop there motion..... dont quite agree with this but that is the reason we were told by our school district drivers.......
omnc954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #10

My other RV is a school bus. School bus seats are 39" wide. For high school we try not to put 3 in a seat but the state law says we can. Elementary students sometimes try to get 4 in a seat (illegal) because they have smaller bottoms and want to be with a friend. The methods some of the kids use to pick on others would just give them some additional weapons with the buckles of unused seat belts. If you look at safety records you will find that school buses are the safest form of transportation in our country. Take a ride in one sometime and you will then know how a sardine feels in a can. There just isn't room for them to fly around if they are properly seated. In the past I also drove 45' Van Hool tour coaches and they also have everything close enough together that there just isn't room to be tossed around in an accident. Body damage to passengers is very rare in coaches. When a plane hits an airpocket things can get very difficult in a plane. Thank goodness we don't have chuckholes that big on our roads.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The seats in my Tracker are close together too, but I don't get to use that excuse. My guess is that few cars have rear seats large enough to let passengers be thrown around, yet all cars are required to have three seats belts in the rear if it has a bench seat.

I'll grant you that school buses are driven very safely and have few accidents, but cannot concede that the passengers in a school bus are "safe" if there is an accident.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oklahoma MR C:
So if the gang (all over 21) wants to go get chicken and beer, How many can I haul in MY class A? as long as I stay below the rated weight? AND Some will just have to sit! on floor and on the rear bed???? so whats ya think! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say depends on how strict the law enforcement is..Go for it...

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote