Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
How many miles?

As we research in preparation for going FT in 2015, we've been working with 5000 miles in the RV and 10,000 miles running around. These are annual miles. Our plan is to drive somewhere, park the RV, and see what there is to see and do what there is to do. When we're ready to move on we'll go down the road a few hundred miles and repeat the process.

Am I close on the estimate, or way too low? Assuming that my guess is somewhere close, is a DP going to be happy with this, or am I asking for trouble?

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We just completed our first 18 months of full timing and put about 10000 miles on the coach and 15000 on the toad. Although we have switched back to being half time, I think we'd do travel a little differently going forward.

Too often we would spend only a few days at one location rather than spending at least a week... or better yet, a month to take advantage of reduced CG rates. IMO your estimates might be a tad low but not too much based on how you plan to travel.

I don't think a diesel will have a problem with your plan but I'm sure some of our experts will chime in on that.

Best of luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
I find driving the Georgetown a bit more tiring than our previous Class C (maybe that's because I'm 7 years older!) and so we've decided to cut our travel day miles to less than 200, except the day we head home, back into familiar terrirtory. Then we might do as many as 350 miles that final day.

We were originally planning to use the MH quite a lot this year, but back surgery in March delayed the start (didn't get out for a shakedown trip until two weeks ago). We found on thet trip the our nearly 14-year-old Labrador has become too frail to manage the 5 steps up into the MH and she hurt one back leg quite a bit.

Everything is on hold for the moment. I do plan a solo trip to the Abbotsford Airshow in August while DW stays home, but we've put the rest of the season on hold for the moment.

We'd expected to cover maybe 7500 miles for the season, since we're retired and don't have any limitations on which days we're gone. We don't pull a toad, as our 03 Kia Sedona is too heavy for a dolly and together, the car and dolly too heavy for the MH hitch. It's more expensive to modify the Sedona for flat towing than I want to spend on an 8 year old car.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

We drive around 6,000 miles a year. Next year might be a bit more, since we like to go to Quartzsite and El Paso. To Gilette for the NKK Meeting too.
So we might get over 10,000 miles on that counter. Hopefully the fuel prices are down?
Even at our age, we should be able to drive those miles with pleasure!?

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
We go slow and like to stop and see things. We rarely go more than 150-200 miles on a day of travel and then often stay 4-10 days on a spot before moving on. Last year we did ~5000 on the MH and about the same on the toad. We're on track to do about the same this year.
It all depends how you like to travel.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
We hope to be doing the same thing. But first we have to get out of Michigan because we hope to retire in February 2013 and the MH doesn't have 4 WD. Once we get south out of bad weather we will put down some stakes and check out the area for a while. Then move on no more than a couple hundred miles and start over again. Can't wait for that relaxing life style.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
David, a diesel will be just fine with 5000k per year, just when you start it up dont just let it idle then shut it off, drive it until it gets to operating temp. With that said with no more miles than that a gas coach will cost much less to operate. We have owned D/P's for over 10 years and usually don't run over 5k per yr. It's not just about the diesel, it 's the better brakes, more power, better ride, more storage and weight compacity, but it comes at a considerably higher cost that a gas coach.

Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote