Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #15

I would think you could inspect things you understand to make a decision if the coach is going to work for you and is in acceptable condition. That means exterior condition, carpet, tile, furniture and so forth. Look for leak issues. Verify that all appliances, etc work; water is hot, A/C cools, furnance heats and so forth. Drive it. Does it feel reasonable. If you are happy, it is at this time you should probably have an RV place do an inspection for you. They will probably look at things you did not think of. I would then go to a RV/Truck mechanic and have them go over it. I would think doing all that would give you a pretty good idea of what you have ahead of you.

Good luck on your search

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Miles don't bother me if well maintained. We usually run vehicles to 150k-200k or more. Buying from a private party where you can get service records is a biggie. Overall condition of the coach is paramount.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #17

Ditto on maintenance records. Bought mine from a dealer and the coach had all records from mile 0 to 62000 when I purchased it. That info made the deal for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #18

I would rather have a ten year old coach with 10K on the clock any day, over a ten year old coach with 100K. If all other aspects of condition were the same. Some people can trash a rig in a few years and a few thousand mile. Some 20 year old rigs can still look and run almost like new. Storing inside is one of the best things you can do to prolong the life of any vehicle. Gas or diesel it makes no difference. It's the care they get that matters.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #19

Likely the best coaches to buy are ones that have been used regularly but do not have more miles than you are comfortable with. Somewhere around 5,000 miles a year is nice if you can find that. Different coaches handle miles differently. The ones with heavy duty systems will last a very long time. We once looked at a lightly built popular DP that only had 17,000 miles on it. It had been a rental. The interior needed complete rebuilding by this point. On the other hand something like an American Eagle will look hardly used at 100,000 if treated right.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #20

To some extent mileage is irrelevant. A thorough prepurchase inspection is a "must do". I purchased a 30 year old motor home that had 96k on the original gas engine when we purchased it. I checked available maintenance records to start, then I did a extremely thorough mechanical inspection. It would be easier for me to list the things I did not check. During our search this eliminated at least a half dozen motor homes from our shopping list. In the end my research and in depth inspections paid off, we have had our motor home for about two and a half years with little to no problem (knock on wood). We have put close to 7k more miles on it since purchasing it and mechanically the only thing we have had to replace so far has been a alternator and a bell crank. The alternator was in part do to a lot of the electronic upgrades we did on the interior and the bell crank was a given for this chassis.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I can only give you my experience. I purchased from an individual in May 2012 a 2001 diplomat 38A DP, with 94k miles, after looking at 30 used rigs. It's in great looking shape inside and out. The person I bought it from has it only a year. Everything worked on it. I had a shop look at it and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I paid $35K for it.
A month later we left up the east coast on a 5 month trip. It performed flawlessly. We towed our jeep liberty. We now have 105K mileage. It came with new tires and no records. Someone took great care of this coach. I did 2 full oil changes with all filters changed on the engine, transmission, and generator.
I had all the wheels removed and had the brakes and bearings looked at. All was in great condition. I love my coach and feel very lucky I went with my gut feeling. To me the condition of an older rig tells a story.
We are leaving in April for the west coast and north west on a 8 month trip. I have no doubt this rig will perform perfectly. Knock on wood so far so great.
Good Luck in your search
Rick
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #22

I'd rather a diesel with 120k then 12k....there is such thing as too little use, especially with diesels.

I have a Jeep Wrangler (gas) with 300k that looks and works like it has 30k. Just goes to show you.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #23

Jon Mopar - 300 on a Wrangler, Wow. That is great. And I totally agree with your statement about too little use. Without regular use bad things happen to a motor home.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Jon Mopar - 300 on a Wrangler, Wow. That is great. And I totally agree with your statement about too little use. Without regular use bad things happen to a motor home.
Yep, it's true. And I regularly go off-roading with it (and not the easy trails). The cherokee I had before it had almost 400k. Motorhomes are cars too...and they like to be driven

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #25

Miles

I own a 1999 american eagle. I bought coach with 135000 miles on it. I was used for a lot of trips to NASCAR before I got it. It has little problems but that has to expected for a 13 year old motor home I have owned alot of different types of campers and motor home and this is my first DP coach. Am very happy with the Coach. My two cents.

Tags
motorhome