Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #43
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Originally Posted by scep View Post
Ive driven a bazillion miles from coast to coast to upper and lower.

And of course this past week making the final leg from milton to orlando I forgot to put the keys in the car and unlock the steering. I went 50 miles in pouring down rain (hydroplaning I assume) and less than an 1/8 mile on dry pavement before the right front tire blew out.

4 tires, 3 bulbs, 3 bulb sockets, lots of wire to reconnect the bulbs, an antenna and the inner wheel well later I realized, dang I can still be an idjut.
Don't feel bad I did something similar. I unlocked the steering wheel, but did not check to make sure it was unlocked after turning off the ignition. I had turned it the wrong way and the first corner I went around it locked the wheels at about a 45 deg angle on my jeep. Brand new tires. 70 miles later a car went buy pointing so I stopped got out and checked the front end of the motor home because it kept pulling to the right. I could see nothing wrong so I continued on another 100 miles when we stopped at a rest area for lunch, when I did a complete walk around and found that the front tires on the jeep were turned at a 45 deg angle with the motor home parked straight ahead. The tires were like rags but were not leaking and did not blow out. I was lucky and i had purchased road hazard insurance when I bought the tires a couple of weeks before. The $12 per tire I paid for the insurance was well worth it. I 2 brand new tires at no cost to me. I had a front tire blow on another jeep liberty some years ago and it took off the fender, inner pan, wiring and headlight. Cost over $1000 to fix it 500 deductible.

2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #44
National RV Owners Club
We are not able to go to far at this time due to work.We kept track of nights spent in ours and clocked almost 2 months in a year! It doesn't matter how far...Just enjoy it! planning on full time in a couple years!

Scott & Dawn 2007 National Tropical T330
stinespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #45
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by stinespool View Post
We are not able to go to far at this time due to work.We kept track of nights spent in ours and clocked almost 2 months in a year! It doesn't matter how far...Just enjoy it! planning on full time in a couple years!
Good point. My wife and I usually spend approx. 70-75 nights in our coach each year. In 2015 we put just over 6500 miles on yet in 2014 we put barely 3k and the same amount of nights. Didn't really plan it that way, it was just the way the trips and weekend getaways fell into place that we didn't travel as far distance wise.

Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
Link to our 2003 Monaco Baroness Projects/Mods thread here:
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #46
Winnebago Owners Club
We live full time in our RV since 2012 and have traveled 52,000 miles. In 2015 we traveled the most with 18,024 miles. Two trips across the country and many wonderful stops in between.

We started out in 2012 to find the perfect place to settle down for our retirement years. We haven't decided where we like it the best, maybe we will have it figured out in another 100k miles.

Doug & Lanita Full Time Since July 2012
2010 Itasca Ellipse 40CD TOAD 2012 Jeep Liberty.
Retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote