Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I walked around a Camping World lot recently and looked at a bunch on nice new motorhomes.....but I could not find anything I liked better than what we already have. I reached the point where we have it set up the way we like it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #30

When we bought or 2000 Dutch Star in 2010 it had a little over 64K on the odometer, now it's over 96K. When we spend the winter in FL. we usually go to the Tampa super show to look around. With the remodeling we've done & the paint job, can find no reason to trade. She'll probably be our last coach. She's taken us from FL. to AK., ME. to CA., and many places in between. We are definately happy with our choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03592.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	89707   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03584.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	89708  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I see no reason why you can't have yours that long or longer. Your is probably built better than mine. We put on about the same milage per year as you. I'm hoping to keep this one until retirement in ten years of so and then see were we are at. Mines a 1998 so it's about 18 years old now and still looks fairly good.
I have followed some of your posts Mike and saw pictures of your Country Coach. Very nice. Looks to have been well cared for. Congratulations on your new rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corba View Post
We just traded our 1990 class C for a Winnebago 2003 Journey DL with 87000 miles with 2years to retirement
We have some friends who own a 2003 Journey and they love it. I try to get them to use it more but they only get out a few times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
Interesting post .... thanks for starting this Mike !!
Thank you. After the conversation with our friends the other night my wife and I were talking and thought maybe we were stupid for wanting to put more money into this coach. But then we agreed that there really is nothing that it doesn't have that we need right now and with it almost paid off I would rather stash that money away and continue to use and care for this one. I feel I can keep it running and looking decent for a while yet so it would be crazy to cut and run now. We would just move on to something else that I would have to work on to get it up to my standards as well as have another term of payments because we couldn't pay cash for one right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjim View Post
We bought our 04 Beaver in 2007 with 28,000 miles on it. We now have 98,000 and are very happy. We go to the RV shows, come home and look at what we have and realize how lucky we are. We got a lot more in our coach than we even knew we wanted but now would be hard pressed to be without. Can't replace the old girl, and wouldn't want to.
Same here, we go to RV shows once in a while and walk away happy with what we have. Although we don't go to as many as we used to because now we see no need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
I walked around a Camping World lot recently and looked at a bunch on nice new motorhomes.....but I could not find anything I liked better than what we already have. I reached the point where we have it set up the way we like it.
Agreed. Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
When we bought or 2000 Dutch Star in 2010 it had a little over 64K on the odometer, now it's over 96K. When we spend the winter in FL. we usually go to the Tampa super show to look around. With the remodeling we've done & the paint job, can find no reason to trade. She'll probably be our last coach. She's taken us from FL. to AK., ME. to CA., and many places in between. We are definately happy with our choice.

Saw the paint job on your Dutch Star on another thread. It looks amazing. That is what I am hoping for with our Dynasty.

We figure even with a new paint job in the next 1-2 years and to replace or freshen up the pilot and co-pilot's seats we will still be happy with the choice we made. I am glad my wife and I sat down and wrote out a list of things we wanted in this coach when we started looking to upgrade. It made the decision much easier, the hard part was finding a used one that fit our "Needs" and "Wants" lists.

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and experiences.

Keep 'em coming everyone.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #32

We bought our Kountry Star DP in Houston 11 years ago with 100 miles on the clock. We have since put 65,000 miles on it, been across the USA 3 times. It has been very reliable and economical with the Cummins diesel. The wife drives it mostly to dog shows.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #33

We bought our first coach in '08, it was a '03 Providence with 60,000. By the time we traded for our new coach it had 100,000 miles and was 10 years old. I loved the coach. But for how we use ours, we needed a house not a camper.

Newmar was willing to build us exactly what we wanted, at a price we could afford. So we ordered a new coach.

We moved into it in Sept of 2012 and now have 30,000 miles on. No plans on trading it for anything, because nobody makes what we want. Our plan was 10-15 years in this one and we'll decide at that time what we'll do.

We're on our second toad; The first got retired after 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of struts, 3 windshields, 180,000 driven miles, 60,000 flat tow miles, 1 hail storm that almost totaled it and the transmission starting to slip. I got used and abused (all 4 tires of the ground a couple of different times) carrying 700 lbs of tools.

My wife and I buy what fills our needs, not to please anybody else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our 2000 Windsor in 2012 with 80K miles. Just turned over 100K last week made a few upgrades.... all is well no plans to trade anytime soon. Let the good times roll!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, we bought our current coach in 2000. After owning several RV's over the years we finally had the experience and income to buy what we wanted. Like your wife, my wife had very realistic and conservative needs/wants in mind when shopping. She also realized I had been "settling" over the years and wanted me to be able to have my "wish list"... at least 450hp, tag axle, 12.5 generator, aqua hot, 3 AC's w/heat pumps, etc. The coach we replaced was a HR Endeavor SE and it had served us well but it was far from being equal to the Signature, especially in towing situations.

Took nearly 2 years to find the Sig that met our criteria due mostly to our price point vs condition criteria. Got lucky and found this one by accident and it was only 300 miles from home. We still love this coach and it's likely to be our "last" coach. I perform most of the maintenance and repairs and have neither the desire nor ambition to learn the idiosyncrasies of a new coach!

I've followed your threads and can appreciate the hard work and dedication that you give your coach. With your expertise and mindset it will last as long as you want to keep it.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Mike, we bought our current coach in 2000. After owning several RV's over the years we finally had the experience and income to buy what we wanted. Like your wife, my wife had very realistic and conservative needs/wants in mind when shopping. She also realized I had been "settling" over the years and wanted me to be able to have my "wish list"... at least 450hp, tag axle, 12.5 generator, aqua hot, 3 AC's w/heat pumps, etc. The coach we replaced was a HR Endeavor SE and it had served us well but it was far from being equal to the Signature, especially in towing situations.

Took nearly 2 years to find the Sig that met our criteria due mostly to our price point vs condition criteria. Got lucky and found this one by accident and it was only 300 miles from home. We still love this coach and it's likely to be our "last" coach. I perform most of the maintenance and repairs and have neither the desire nor ambition to learn the idiosyncrasies of a new coach!

I've followed your threads and can appreciate the hard work and dedication that you give your coach. With your expertise and mindset it will last as long as you want to keep it.
Thank you for the kind words.

That list you threw out looks really close to what mine was. My biggest hurdle was I wanted to stay at 40' or less which was next to impossible to find. We did find an Executive that was 42' that really caught our eye but it was a pretty good stretch on the budget and I didn't feel good about it just in case we ran into something expensive that needed repair or replacement. I also ran across a bit older Foretravel that I really liked but I felt they were asking a bit much for the condition. But Foretravel is definitely on my short list for the next one.

My cousin has a 1998 42' Signature and that was the one that got me looking at Monaco so diligently. I was very impressed the little bit I had worked on it. I was leaning towards 1998-1999 because that was where our budget pretty much landed us based on the prices I was seeing.

I was really leaning towards the Monaco Signature/Executive or the Country Coach Affinity due to the fact that that in that era they all have the semi-monocoque chassis and the larger engines/trans combos, either Cummins M-11 or CAT C12 . Tag axle, 10kw or larger, Aqua-Hot and triple roof A/C with heat pumps were also on the list.

I hadn't even considered the Dynasty because in the late 90's years we were looking they had the smaller ISC 330-350 hp, which is still a great engine but I knew I would be towing a heavy as hell trailer.

We literally stumbled across this 2003 Dynasty 40' that had everything but the engine/trans combo I wanted. It was newer than we had considered but actually a bit under in price than what we were looking at originally due to how my dealer was able to buy it. I was concerned about the horsepower but the dealer let me take it for a day and hook it up to my enclosed trailer and my wife and I took it over a couple of local mountain passes and it did surprisingly well. It had a few issues that I knew about and a couple that I didn't so I negotiated a price based on an "as is" deal. My wife and I knew it a was a huge gamble buying it "as is" but after driving it and inspecting it at home for an entire day I felt like it was something I could bring back.

I don't think the previous owners beat on it but they definitely didn't maintain it the way I would have. All in all it turned out to be a great deal and I was able to fix everything relatively inexpensively. I would still loved to have had the ISM/4000 combo though. That drivetrain in my little 40 footer would be a hot rod.

Mike.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought our 2006 Newmar 4320 a tad over 2 years ago after trading in a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer we had for a little less than a year. Started with 49K miles and have put on about 17K since. We moved into it May 1st, 2013 while selling our home and waiting for our retirement on Nov 30th, 2013.

Buying used you get what is available so we have a lot of everything we wanted with a couple minor things we would do different if we could order new. Buying new was not an option.

The day we saw it we knew we would upgrade and update it to make it our best chance to be our last MH. That included installing a residential refrigerator, all new flooring, removing the desk/dinette to make room for 2 dog crates for our GSDs, all new satellite system to support our DirecTV Genie and adding a stacked W/D. Other things we have done more recently have been removing the jackknife sofa to make room for a nice recliner, adding a Battery Monitor Kit and an Automatic Generator Starter.

We have been to a NKK rally and along with a couple trips to the factory seen the newest models both completed and in construction. After seeing what is out there we are very pleased with what we have and what we have done with it. There isn't anything out there that just screams at us as being enough of an improvement to warrant upgrading our home. Certainly, if we had a much more robust budget we would consider a new unit but we don't feel anywhere near deprived.

We still have little odds and ends to do with it. Some of it is related to its age and some are just nice things. The biggest thing we are facing is rebuilding the water bay panel to standardize some of the plumbing, replace a leaking fresh water valve, replace a questionable water pump and maybe make room for a water hose reel. Besides, these fun projects keep me off the street and out of jail. LOL

We have also been very fortunate to have a good extended warrantee that has covered replacement of several "old" systems including a water heater, AC unit, air bags, dash AC hoses, and more. Having this all done has raised our confidence in this unit standing up to years of continued use.

SO...We are , think we made a deal and around the country.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We bought our 2006 Newmar 4320 a tad over 2 years ago after trading in a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer we had for a little less than a year. Started with 49K miles and have put on about 17K since. We moved into it May 1st, 2013 while selling our home and waiting for our retirement on Nov 30th, 2013.

Buying used you get what is available so we have a lot of everything we wanted with a couple minor things we would do different if we could order new. Buying new was not an option.

The day we saw it we knew we would upgrade and update it to make it our best chance to be our last MH. That included installing a residential refrigerator, all new flooring, removing the desk/dinette to make room for 2 dog crates for our GSDs, all new satellite system to support our DirecTV Genie and adding a stacked W/D. Other things we have done more recently have been removing the jackknife sofa to make room for a nice recliner, adding a Battery Monitor Kit and an Automatic Generator Starter.

We have been to a NKK rally and along with a couple trips to the factory seen the newest models both completed and in construction. After seeing what is out there we are very pleased with what we have and what we have done with it. There isn't anything out there that just screams at us as being enough of an improvement to warrant upgrading our home. Certainly, if we had a much more robust budget we would consider a new unit but we don't feel anywhere near deprived.

We still have little odds and ends to do with it. Some of it is related to its age and some are just nice things. The biggest thing we are facing is rebuilding the water bay panel to standardize some of the plumbing, replace a leaking fresh water valve, replace a questionable water pump and maybe make room for a water hose reel. Besides, these fun projects keep me off the street and out of jail. LOL

We have also been very fortunate to have a good extended warrantee that has covered replacement of several "old" systems including a water heater, AC unit, air bags, dash AC hoses, and more. Having this all done has raised our confidence in this unit standing up to years of continued use.

SO...We are , think we made a deal and around the country.
Do you have the Cummins ISL engine? Do you happen to know the weight of your coach?

Mike.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I would still loved to have had the ISM/4000 combo though. That drivetrain in my little 40 footer would be a hot rod.

Mike.
oh no...seeing Mike's previous posts and mechanical ability...does anyone else see where this is going?....Mike, you're gonna swap in an ISM/4000 aren't you?...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Do you have the Cummins ISL engine? Do you happen to know the weight of your coach?

Mike.
400 HP ISL

GVWR 44,200#
Actual weight 37,180# loaded for full time use.

I have corner, axle, toad and combined weight. I'm kinda anal about that. LOL
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I would still loved to have had the ISM/4000 combo though. That drivetrain in my little 40 footer would be a hot rod.
This was one of the final diciding factors in our purchase. One of our rescue divers is a tech supervisor at Cummins R&D in Ohio. His job is to try to make them fail. He thinks the ISM (M11) is the best engine they ever built. I doubt we have any performance advantages at 43K, but I really like the idea of 1550 ft/lbs. We did a cursory oil sample on the MH4000 at pre-purchase, but just received a good report from an extended oil analysis from JP Lubricants. I also tested the Final Charge coolant. The sample was crystal clear., and the test strip showed it in the highest range.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Dutch Stars and now have the Magna. After many 1,000's of miles on the DSDP's we were entirely happy and should have bought another one.
After two months and 3000 miles in the Magna? Well the coach is quiet, rides nice and powerful (when the engine ran). But now it's in the Cummins shop with a blown engine. Found out it's the second time and it only has 44,000 miles on it and the third turbo. $29,000 repair bill although Cummins is kicking in $10,000 so that helps. But an ISX is supposed to be a 1,000,000 miles engine and Cummins NW knows of four that have blown up. The valves break and take out the head, liners, rods and pistons, valve train, turbo, bearing etc..

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote