Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
oh no...seeing Mike's previous posts and mechanical ability...does anyone else see where this is going?....Mike, you're gonna swap in an ISM/4000 aren't you?...
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I won't be swapping in an ISM. I did a 3208 CAT engine swap in a 1987 Vogue years ago and that was a big project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
400 HP ISL

GVWR 44,200#
Actual weight 37,180# loaded for full time use.

I have corner, axle, toad and combined weight. I'm kinda anal about that. LOL
Thanks, I am always curious about HP to weight on various coaches so I like to inquire so I can file it away in my head.

Our little 40 footer is 36k pounds ready to travel. I routinely see 42-43 footers only about 1k pounds or so heavier than we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We've had two Dutch Stars and now have the Magna. After many 1,000's of miles on the DSDP's we were entirely happy and should have bought another one.
After two months and 3000 miles in the Magna? Well the coach is quiet, rides nice and powerful (when the engine ran). But now it's in the Cummins shop with a blown engine. Found out it's the second time and it only has 44,000 miles on it and the third turbo. $29,000 repair bill although Cummins is kicking in $10,000 so that helps. But an ISX is supposed to be a 1,000,000 miles engine and Cummins NW knows of four that have blown up. The valves break and take out the head, liners, rods and pistons, valve train, turbo, bearing etc..
I have been following your issue and feel for ya. I love the thought of 650 HP but I too have heard of some concerns with the 650 hp version of the ISX. Not so much on the 600 HP or the 525 HP. I wonder if it has to do with them turning it up and pushing the limits of the components. Valve stems, springs, head castings, etc.

Still, I'll bet that is a powerhouse when it is running. I have heard they have a new head design out for the 650 ISX that is supposed to cure these concerns/issues, is that true?

I looked at a 2008 40' Magna a few months back that had the 2007 pre-08 emission engine in it. Boy I bet that was a freakin blast to drive.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought our first and current motor home in 2008. It was in decent condition, but sadly in need of refurnishing and updating. We decided to completely renovate it, so we did. A new paint job on the outside. Complete cabinet refinishing, wall painting, new flooring throughout. All brand new furniture. It was like starting out in a brand new coach.

The coach had 114,000 miles on it when we bought it. It now has about 145,000 miles. We love it.

Would we update to something newer? Well, someday I suppose we'll have to. We just haven't found the 'right' replacement. We don't want a longer coach, but we want our next one to be tag axle on semi-monocoque proprietary chassis with equivalent weight to horsepower to what we have now. Thus far we haven't seen anything that qualifies.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post

I have been following your issue and feel for ya. I love the thought of 650 HP but I too have heard of some concerns with the 650 hp version of the ISX. Not so much on the 600 HP or the 525 HP. I wonder if it has to do with them turning it up and pushing the limits of the components. Valve stems, springs, head castings, etc.

Still, I'll bet that is a powerhouse when it is running. I have heard they have a new head design out for the 650 ISX that is supposed to cure these concerns/issues, is that true?

I looked at a 2008 40' Magna a few months back that had the 2007 pre-08 emission engine in it. Boy I bet that was a freakin blast to drive.

Mike.
They do have a new head and valves and they're what's going in to ours, Our engine is the EPA 2007 with DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) CM871 version, with DOHC, not the 2010 single overhead cam.
The problem seems to be the higher temps that the DPF versions runs at.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Would we update to something newer? Well, someday I suppose we'll have to. We just haven't found the 'right' replacement. We don't want a longer coach, but we want our next one to be tag axle on semi-monocoque proprietary chassis with equivalent weight to horsepower to what we have now. Thus far we haven't seen anything that qualifies.

Jim
Country Coach with the ISX 650 and their semi-monocoque frame would do it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought our 02 Journey, 275HP, 5speed new in 2002. It now has 189,000 miles. Plan on another 10-12 K this year if all goes OK. I've been anal on preventive maintenance since new. Never been towed and was on the side of the road once for a fan belt.

Thought about another coach around 08 but decided what we wanted was not cost effective. Had ours painted and a few upgrades and am completely happy with this coach. Will keep it until health prevents us from traveling.

If their was a road around the world and we had the money we would get on it and go.

We travel approximately 4-6 months a year.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Bought our 02 Journey, 275HP, 5speed new in 2002. It now has 189,000 miles. Plan on another 10-12 K this year if all goes OK. I've been anal on preventive maintenance since new. Never been towed and was on the side of the road once for a fan belt.

Thought about another coach around 08 but decided what we wanted was not cost effective. Had ours painted and a few upgrades and am completely happy with this coach. Will keep it until health prevents us from traveling.

If their was a road around the world and we had the money we would get on it and go.

We travel approximately 4-6 months a year.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #49

This is an interesting thread.

We have nothing significant to add, but here is our story......We traded my '94 Dolphin for our '05 KSDP 3910 in August of 2013. It had about 102,000 miles on it and now has 117K.

We liked the Dolphin, but wanted a slide. The Kountry Star has four, so that took care of that. We have made significant upgrades inside, (TVs, Samsung fridge, new sink, that sort of thing), and are hopeful that we don't really need anything else.

Like others have said, we have gone to RV shows and come away thinking there was nothing we would trade even for at any price. That changed at the last Tampa Super Show. We fell in love with the Newmar Ventana 4002. It has a tag, bath-and-a-half, a reasonable layout with a TV that can be seen from the sofa, lots of good things. It was even reasonably priced at only four or five times more than we can afford! OUCH!

Still, the answer is that other than the half bath thing, we really do like our coach. At 117K miles, it should still be good, so we will get the required service performed and get on the road again in June.

Just as a note, Newmar brand loyalty seems to be strong factor for those who have them.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #50

Zmotorsports, I have a 1999 Monaco dynasty with 226,000 miles on her. I have redone everything you can redo. Carpet, seats, flooring, paint and still love her. Just came back from Fla and hope to go to Salt Lake City to see daughter this summer. Paid for and dont bother us to spend a little more on her. Will most likley be our last coach. Will take good care of her for now.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHowell View Post
Zmotorsports, I have a 1999 Monaco dynasty with 226,000 miles on her. I have redone everything you can redo. Carpet, seats, flooring, paint and still love her. Just came back from Fla and hope to go to Salt Lake City to see daughter this summer. Paid for and dont bother us to spend a little more on her. Will most likley be our last coach. Will take good care of her for now.
That is awesome. That is the first one I have heard of with over 200k on the clock. Looks like you guys definetely get out and use it. Good for you.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #52

ours has 6300.. had 2200 when we got it 2 months ago..

I'd trade it for some thing better but it's the absolute best 34'and under coach on the market, with most power..

here she is ,,,"BLACK BEAUTY"

shes more of a dairy MOO cow, but we named her after a horse anyway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer and moho 002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	89949  
Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #53

Alpine Owners Club
We purchased a 1995 Holiday Rambler with a 300H.P. Cummins diesel with 150,000 on the clock. It runs like a clock and is fun to drive. We need to update some things but other than that it seems to suit us to a T. Our son drives big Rigs and when I talked to him about the mileage he laughed and said it is still getting broken in.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We picked ours up with 110,000 miles. The original owner sold it to his Brother so we are the 3rd owners. The receipts and maint records go way back. It has some clear-coat issues but nothing that can't be redone. Didn't pay much and love it.

Found a note in the records that it was 25,500# fully loaded for full-time. 250HP.

On a funny note, I had never driven a MH and on the gusty 60 mile trip home from purchase, I noticed my arms getting very tired.....arm rests were up for 40 miles.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #55

We bought ours with 58,000 miles on it and 3 years later it's got a touch over 90,000 miles on it. We're still very happy with it. The only thing I regret is having used it to live in through the winter in Wyoming; we had to chase down a number of issues in the summer after that (mainly, it seemed, soft rubber seals, even tire valve stems, which had been fine before the sub-zero exposure but afterward leaked). Overall though we still love the floorplan as is works well with slides in as well as out, and it's very comfy to drive (even my wife drives it, something she would never do with our gas coach). I've still got a few things I'd love to do to it eventually, but I could honestly do everything I wanted (which includes air leveling, which ain't cheap) for less than $20,000 and even if it only extended our use a few years, it'd be worth it to me.

Steve
Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #56

Well, I've had my coach for about three years now. The odometer was not working, so I had my local Freightliner shop pull a full computer dump and discovered it had around 87k miles, not too far from what the seller claimed and what the title recorded.

After the trip back from Colorado to Ohio, a trip to Disney World campgrounds and doing the fall colors in the Finger lakes, I should be around 90k by now.

I bought a coach that needed some TLC because, though I can afford a 150k unit, I just could not bring myself to go there. This is my first coach and I did not want a gas unit. I wanted a DP and if I had to buy a fixer upper, so be it. I'm sooooo glad I did. I've learned a lot along the way and I am very confident of what will be my next and final DP coach when this unit is sold. Now, I know what to look for. Now, I know what I like. Now, I know I never want to be without a coach again, period, end of story. It's in the blood, now.

Happy? Oh yeah

My coach has a wheelchair lift for my dear mother, so she can take part in all of the things my family does. In fact, it's why I bought it. We've already had some awesome experiences. Sadly, we had an eight day Carnival cruise and key west trip lined up for this past Feb 26th abandoned due to a turn in my mom's health. She's going through a 12 week hyperbaric treatment to address her issues and things are REALLY looking good for her, almost miraculous. So, we are looking to plan another trip to Florida or out west to Rushmore or thereabouts.

When my mom can no longer travel with us, then, I guess I'll make my move to another coach. Don't want to think about that now. I'm in the here and now and things are fine, just fine...