Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How Many Miles on Your DP/Still Happy

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and didn't turn up an existing thread.

I am curious as to how many miles each of you have on your diesel coaches? How many when you purchased it? And are you still happy with it?

First, let me preface by saying my wife and I are not of the "keep up with the Jones'" mentalility. We thoroughly enjoy what we have and don't have to impress anyone by having something new all the time.

Reasoning for my questioning, just trying to get a feel for the masses. We have some friends that seem to trade in their coach every couple years and seem to alway be behind the 8-ball on value vs. what they owe and they think we are nuts for looking in to getting ours painted due to its age and mileage. I am a mechanic so condition and initial quality play a bigger role in my mind than do "fluff" or bells and whistles.

Our previous coach we bought in 2000, it was a 1991 with approx. 76k on the odometer. We had the coach for 7 years and it had 129k on it when we sold it in early 2007. Many of those miles were dragging around our 24' enclosed race trailer. When we bought it our friends told us we were nuts buying an "older" unit but I wanted a DP and one that was on a solid chassis which the Gillig chassis definitely fit the bill.

In 2006 we paid our home off and started looking to upgrade to something a bit newer but I still had the chassis and overall build quality in the forefront of my decision making. My wife really didn't care about floorplan as long as the "meat and potatoes" as she put it were what I wanted. She is great that way.

After 9-months of looking we stumbled across our current 2003 Monaco Dynasty that had 55K miles on the ticker. My wife loved the floorplan and I was able to get everything on my "Needs" list AND my "Wants" list with the exception of the ISM/4000 combo.

Our coach just turned over 98k miles last week on our Moab trip and we still love our coach after owning it for 8 years and 43k miles accrued and she is almost paid off. We were talking with our friends the other night about possibly getting a new paint job on her within the next year maybe two at the most and new pilot and co-pilot seats. They were dumbfounded. They could not believe we would throw money away putting $15k-$20k into a 12 year old coach with 100k miles on the odometer, but I know there is a LOT more life left in the ole' girl.

In the past 15 years we have owned our two DPs and put around 96k miles on between the two. We also had a gas motorhome prior to that for 6 years that we put about 25k miles on. We use our coach a lot but I am sure there are those who put more miles a year on than we do.

I see a lot of new coaches on the roads as we travel. I am not sure whether this is due to the amount of baby boomers retiring at the current rate or if there are so many RVers trading up to newer coaches due to having a nice nest egg built up or finance rates as low as they are. So my questions still are, how many miles on your DP, how many when you took ownership and are you still happy with it?

I would assume most will say yes they are still happy with their current coach but is that because you are not in a position to buy another so you tell yourself you are happy or are you honestly still happy with your current DP?

Not trying to be nosy, just thought I would throw that out there to the masses after seeing our friends on their seventh or eighth coach in the time frame that we have had two and they still don't seem to be happy with any of them. They seem to always find problems with each one to the extent that they need to get rid of it after only a couple years of "putting up with it".

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
There is something to be said for knowing what you've got.

I follow your "Mods" thread so am familiar with what you've done to your Dynasty. Impressive to say the least!

If you've got good bones, and it's been well maintained as shown and you love the layout, why get rid of it only to start over with an unknown?

The miles your coach has mean nothing in a diesel as I'm sure you're aware and given your talent, I wouldn't hesitate to keep what you've got.

The only reason to sell would be it gets a little tougher to sell a coach once the coach gets over the 100K mark, however, given your coaches history, condition and your attention to detail, I doubt that would be an issue and someone would be getting a great coach if they bought it down the road.

I'd say stick to your plan and enjoy what you've built!

Just my opinion.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

I just purchased my DP last August with 65k on it and I have put about 3k on it. We tend to buy and hold onto stuff. Our first house going on 32 years,my wife's car purchased new 11years and and still going thei one before that 10years. My pickup purchased new 13years and still going. Our gas Moho before the DP we had for 12years. I still get a silly grin on my face every time I start up my DP and hear that psssst air sound.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Mike just turned 98K on our Dy and no plans to change. Like you, I bought from the belt line down and DW bought the floorplan. Barring any disasters we will run her for a lot longer. It's nice to go to shows and come home and still say "wow glad we have this one".

Previous coach was a 99 Safari Continental that we ran up to 155k. Sale took six months, so high miles will sell, just takes longer.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
There is something to be said for knowing what you've got.

I follow your "Mods" thread so am familiar with what you've done to your Dynasty. Impressive to say the least!

If you've got good bones, and it's been well maintained as shown and you love the layout, why get rid of it only to start over with an unknown?

The miles your coach has mean nothing in a diesel as I'm sure you're aware and given your talent, I wouldn't hesitate to keep what you've got.

The only reason to sell would be it gets a little tougher to sell a coach once the coach gets over the 100K mark, however, given your coaches history, condition and your attention to detail, I doubt that would be an issue and someone would be getting a great coach if they bought it down the road.

I'd say stick to your plan and enjoy what you've built!

Just my opinion.
Thanks Les, I appreciate the compliments. Maybe I mis-spoke, I am not looking to sell ours, I was just wondering if my wife and I are in the minority or not.

How many miles on your Beaver and how long have you had it. Our previous coach was a Beaver as well and was very well built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I just purchased my DP last August with 65k on it and I have put about 3k on it. We tend to buy and hold onto stuff. Our first house going on 32 years,my wife's car purchased new 11years and and still going thei one before that 10years. My pickup purchased new 13years and still going. Our gas Moho before the DP we had for 12years. I still get a silly grin on my face every time I start up my DP and hear that psssst air sound.
Thanks. We are in the same mindset, we hold on to things. Our home was built in 1991 when we purchased it and we don't plan on moving. We don't buy new vehicles but they are a few years old upon purchase and we keep them. My last truck I had for 16 years before I sold it and bought a 2006 in 2009 for about half of what it sold for new. Wife's car the say way, bought it used at 4 years of age and 33k miles, now it is 11 years old with 181k on it and still in better condition that many that I work on for people that are much newer.

Mike.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

I have put 14,000 miles on my coaching the last 3 years. Other than routine maintenance I have had very few repair bills. I am very happy with what I have it meets all my needs.

Like you i'm not into keeping up with the Joneses.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Hey Mike just turned 98K on our Dy and no plans to change. Like you, I bought from the belt line down and DW bought the floorplan. Barring any disasters we will run her for a lot longer. It's nice to go to shows and come home and still say "wow glad we have this one".

Previous coach was a 99 Safari Continental that we ran up to 155k. Sale took six months, so high miles will sell, just takes longer.
Thanks. Funny you should mention that. We went to the local RV show about a month ago and my wife and I walked out and she said, well there was nothing there I would trade ours for.

Granted there were some nice coaches there, lots of "fluff" in the newer ones but maybe due to price point for our area or something but we saw nothing of the upper-mid level coach that I think our Dynasty is.

Your right it is a good feeling saying "glad we have this one".

Mike.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ours was a show coach for a large dealer with multiple locations. It had been on the circuit in TX and OK for a year when we bought it w/5k on it. It is now 12 years old w/95k. We have looked at newer coaches over the years but have seen only one or two that we would even consider as a replacement. Some have nice features we would like, but none have ad all that we like on ours. Most who see it don't think it is over 5 yr old if that. We have had one couch recovered, and the copilot seat cushion redone. We plan to keep running it!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Traded a 83 MH gas for my 99 DP in 2002 when it had 33,068 miles on it. It now has 88,379.
Have been Full time in it since the day bought. Traded when the 83 had 110K miles on it. Got the 99 for the floor plan with one slide out.

Still see no need to trade it off. Have had to replace both AC units, water heater, couch, and some chassis maintenance. Plus all the personal upgrades I done myself over the years.

I do have the $$$ to trade if wanted. Just bought a 14 MKS toad and paid cash, which was worth around twice as much as the 99 DP is now.

The 99 has lost around 60-70K in depreciation since bought. Really can't see doing the same again, even at looking at newer ones lately at shows. I see nothing in them that I need for Full Time that I don't already have. Happy with my 1 slide and have no need for 4 slides.

Did I say I'm Happy with my soon to be 17 year old DP.
And plan on it being my last one needed. I'm sure it will still be going after I am gone.
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 1991 Beaver for 19 years and put 154,000 miles on it. Loved the coach, but decided we needed a coach with washer and dryer - we both hated Laundromats, so we bought our present one and have been in it 2 1/2 years since we started full timing. Our present coach had 71,000 miles when we got it and now has 94,000. We plan to keep it for at least 10 years, regardless of the mileage, until it's time for us to settle down.

As long as the maintenance is properly done and on time, there is no reason that a good coach can not be run 300,000+ miles.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Thanks Les, I appreciate the compliments. Maybe I mis-spoke, I am not looking to sell ours, I was just wondering if my wife and I are in the minority or not.

How many miles on your Beaver and how long have you had it. Our previous coach was a Beaver as well and was very well built.

Mike.
Hi Mike,

I was only commenting on the fact that your friends said you're crazy to spend money on a coach with your mileage and have been selling every few years.

I bought our Beaver last year with 37,000 miles on it. I've only put about 5,000 on since I bought it.

I'm not retired, so I buy coaches, update/fix them and sell them. I only keep them for about a year and use them while I dress them up.

My plan is to make a little on each one and end up with a free one by the time I'm retired. I'm on my 6th one and about 1/2 way to my goal.

Couple of issues with my plan. Canadian dollar sucks right now so buying in the States isn't a reality. End cost is 30% more presently. The other stumbling block is my wife really likes the Beaver! They are a nice coach. I've had 2 Dynasty's. They are one of my favourites as well.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Bought 7 yr old with 26,000 miles. Now 96,000 miles at 20 yrs old.

We do not have slides and have just the little 300hp C8.3L Cummins, but do have a Gillig Chassis.

We are happy, but also realize that a new rig will not do anything that our current rig does not (except maybe heat the tile floors).

Painting @15 yr old rig is purely a personal choice.

Some choose to buy the new paint on a new rig and suck up a lot of new value depreciation.

Some may choose to paint a rig that is nearly depreciated and therefore add a year or two of equivalent depreciation for the cost of the paint job.

Neither decision is rational. Both are just satisfying to the involved owner spending their recreation dollar.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

there was nothing there I would trade ours for

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Thanks. Funny you should mention that. We went to the local RV show about a month ago and my wife and I walked out and she said, well there was nothing there I would trade ours for.

Granted there were some nice coaches there, lots of "fluff" in the newer ones but maybe due to price point for our area or something but we saw nothing of the upper-mid level coach that I think our Dynasty is.

Your right it is a good feeling saying "glad we have this one".

Mike.
I agree. We bought 2003 HR Endeavor in 2010. Has 55,000 miles now and still wouldn't trade for anything else. One of the best purchases we ever made.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2002 Monaco Windsor had 84K on it when we got it. It now has 103K. We have made a lot of improvements for comfort and safety.

We are TOTALLY happy with it and don't have any plans to change!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote