Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
How many miles per year?

As we ponder our future full-time coach, we are trying to compare apples to apples, so we're using 5000 miles per year with the rv and 10,000 miles per year without it. In the case of a motor home, that means 5000 miles per year towing the toad and 10,000 miles per year driving the toad around.

Diesel pushers like to be driven, and we're wondering whether this scenario would be too few miles. The plan is to drive a comfortable day's drive, set up, and stay for anywhere from several days to a month, and then continue. There will be some workamping stints during a typical year, but most of the time we will just be following our noses.

Thoughts, anyone?

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
We are just finishing our first full-time year and our "numbers" are roughly 15,000 miles in the MH and an additional ~15,000 in the toad. To each his own.

The coach will be fine as long as you maintain it; your mileage isn't any less than many snowbirds. The real issue is to remember that you have to replace many fluids on a time basis even if your mileage is low. I would change the engine oil not less than once a year and the transmission fluid at 3-4 years regardless of mileage. You can use oil sampling as justification for extending these intervals, but doing so without oil analysis is risky. Diesel engines and transmissions are designed for many, many miles IF they are properly maintained.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I've found in the park we're in most are DP's. There are people that we have met that drive a lot more miles then you indicated for yourselves but then there are also people here that drive a whole lot less then you are planning on. It's just personal preference I guess. We don't fulltime but are close to being called that but we opted for a gas unit. Our maintenance costs are far lower then the talk that goes on around here but again that can start a whole new conversation. We don't travel a lot of miles per day when we are on the road, not because our coach isn't comfortable but again that's just the way it goes for us. Everyone is different. One thing I can say is that when we're sitting still we are all equal in regards to the ammentities that we have on board. Go drive a few of both and make your decision but remember the most important thing that you have to live with is the floorplan. Make that a priority since you'll be living in it fulltime. I guess I could mention that we traveled only 1740 miles last year and there is a couple just next to us that have a 42' American Tradition that had only traveled 1450 miles for the year.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
I work full time, but luckily my job as business owner allows me to travel frequently in the motorhome. We generally get a trip to Florida in March most years, and then stay mostly in PA and NY (my home state) for the summer.

I'm president of a WIT camping club, and belong as a member to another. We also camp with friends and family, getting out almost every weekend from late May thru October.

Coach is 5 years old (bought new) with about 23K on the clock. I guess that works to about 5K/year; but the years we do get to FL it averages about 7K/year.

Key to owning any motorhome, diesel or gas, is to make sure it gets at a minumum annual maintenance for oil changes, generator, etc. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the TIME interval, as most of us don't even come close to the annual miles interval for diesel oil changes.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
August 2008 to August 2011, 32,000 miles (plus a couple). We do not full time. We go out for various amounts of times, the longest being 89 days. That's a little over 10,000 miles a year. As stated, it is really going to depend on you. Keep the maintenance up.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
7000 last year.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
We have just crossed the 10 year DP ownership mark. 61,000 miles accrued on the Odometer or 6,100 miles per year.

Last week the rig just purred right along.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We average nearly 8000 miles/yr and only travel for 6-7 months. Toad mileage is actually fairly low, since the places we visit via car are relatively near the RV park. If not, we move the RV to the next stop, which is usually nearer.

When we were first into long term RVing, we averaged 10,000+ per year and hit as high as 17,000 one year. There were many places we wanted to see, so we moved around more. Now that we've hit so many of the "must see" pales, we find we stay longer in one spot and our mileage is trending downwards.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote