Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelino1 View Post
I do 99 percent of the work on my coach. I do not do work that requires very heavy lifting such as caliper replacement or other heavy work although I am perfectly capable but at 77 years old I just can't do some work for physical limitations.
I do all of the electrical work and diagnostic work.
Angelino1,
Your statement above tells me that you are the perfect combination of native abilities guided by the distilled wisdom of age; which prevents you from getting hurt while you maintain maximum self-sufficiency.

I aspire to be like you.
Respectfully,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Love to do, and love to learn everything on my RV. This forum has taught me a lot, and I value the opinions and advice from the responders. I'm like most who have responded, if I have the tools, or can come by them reasonably, I have the space and time, I'm 70. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing the job yourself. However I've met met several drivers that simply point the MH and go, and they have no idea whats going on other than the wheels are most likely turning. I'm a believer in knowing what you are piloting, know how it works, what my options are if it doesn't work, and how to fix it if it's broke, or at least what it will take to have it fixed. Do it yourself if you can, and there is always someone here on the forum that can tell you how to, or at least why you should not.
One last word....my opinion is ;a job is never really finished untill you sweat all over it or bleed on it.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Ft. and rr Koni shocks... $600.00

Tiger track rear stabilizer... $375.00

Butterfly stitches and assorted medical supplies... $4.25

A MH that tracks down the road in an arrow like fashion and knowing I did
I did it myself...PRICELESS!

Would I do it again... YOU BET! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #46

I try to do as much on the motorhome as I can. Somethings are just not feasable. WHat I cxan do depends on if they reuire apecial tools that are not cost effective.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #47

I like to do as much as I can myself. 2 hours away from any dealers almost make it a requirement.
The times I have to go to the dealers for Factory Recalls makes me nervous. The latest recalls for the Bosch brake calipers, and Norcold Fridge 1200 series, make me wonder. When I told a dealer I just wanted the calipers replace, (as I had already checked the brakes/pads/wheels)... Would you believe he recommended I go somewhere else. I think he just wanted to soak me with additional work while the recall was being done. Am now looking for another repair shop.
Fully in agreament with the others. I like to know what is going on, enjoy the hands-on work, have a good idea of what to do if something needs work, really enjoy helping others if they have an issue, bloody knuckles are a given, save money which allows the DW and I to do more vacationing, the list goes on.
There are limits. If I find one, I can usually find a good explanation here on the web to help me get going again.
Enjoy the ride.

Mike
Hihopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
A lot depends on what style RV, engine location and accessibility??? Some engines need to be just about removed to do anything!!!!!!.... others, are sooo much easier.... rear engine diesels with a side radiator are the bestest!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #49

I try to do some repairs myself, not all. I have had to re-route a 12volt circuit because there was a short in the line somewhere and instead of tearing the coach apart I decided to just rewire it. I have also done an interior remodel, flooring, faucets etc.

I recently paid thru the nose to have some headers and a major tune up done on my 96 HR, after seeing what they actually did I know I could have done it but it would have taken me three times longer plus my knuckles and fingers are not still bleeding.

I am not always willing to do stuff but when I feel like it I give it a try. I work for a school district driving school buses and I am really watching the diesel mechanics to try and learn all the general maintenance stuff so in the event I can pick up a dp I will have some idea of what it takes. Having the correct tools and a lift is crucial IMHO.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
Love to do, and love to learn everything on my RV. This forum has taught me a lot, and I value the opinions and advice from the responders. I'm like most who have responded, if I have the tools, or can come by them reasonably, I have the space and time, I'm 70. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing the job yourself. However I've met met several drivers that simply point the MH and go, and they have no idea whats going on other than the wheels are most likely turning. I'm a believer in knowing what you are piloting, know how it works, what my options are if it doesn't work, and how to fix it if it's broke, or at least what it will take to have it fixed. Do it yourself if you can, and there is always someone here on the forum that can tell you how to, or at least why you should not.
One last word....my opinion is ;a job is never really finished untill you sweat all over it or bleed on it.
Perfect, thats the way I feel. The only thing that I could add is that my wife claims that I'm easy to track down, SHE JUST FOLLOWS THE TRAIL OF BLOOD AND THERE I AM .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #51

I do as much as possible inside and out unless it requires some sort of special tool that would require a dealer, but avoid that if possible.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #52

I do 99 percent of the work on everything I own. The major reason for this is I don't trust someone else to do it right. The only thing I will have someone else work on is the propane lines, and the company is certified.
duggerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #53

Exclamation I saved big bucks today

I was having problems with my Atwood electric Jack that would not go up or down, yet the motor worked. I discovered the jack would shut off when I forced the jack up with a tire iron and clutch would shut the motor off. I went to the local Dealer and they said no parts to replace I would need a new jack to the tune of 1000 dollars plus shipping and installation $1300. I said I would get back to them, I called Atwood spoke to Customer Service Rep (Sue) she had me do a few minor test and discovered the sheer-pin and maybe the gear was damaged, She sent me 2 new sets of sheer-pins and gears I removed the jack, put the new pins on and reinstalled the jack.. All to the tune of $0 dollar and a little bit of time. I learned a valuable lesson, even though the local sales and service smile and say welcome. Do some checking before saying yes go ahead and fix it.
RonP1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
I do ALL repairs and/or modifications on our coach and all of our vehicles and toys. NO ONE else will ever touch anything I own. Granted I am a mechanic by trade but it bothers me to see some of the half-assed jobs that are done out there by other shops as well as a few owners who probably shouldn't do anything more than put fuel in. My wife says that I am anal about things or bordering on OCD.

I have seen many owners who are somewhat mechanically inclined do much better work than some 'professional' shops. That said, there are still many shops out there that take pride in their work and value their reputation.

There is no way my wife and I could afford the vehicles and toys that we have if I didn't do the work myself (not on our salaries). Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have done all the modifications on my rig however I will leave some of the stuff for the guys that have the BIG air guns.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #56
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
I do as much as my brain (abilities) and my tool box can handle. My abilities are improving everyday thanks to the members of this forum. As time goes on my toolbox is getting more and more jammed. Perhaps a bigger box is in my future.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote