Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #57

I was having problems with the Attwood hot water heater and went to my local dealer who sold me some parts he said would fix it. Were not too expensive so I bought them. Did not fix it.
Called Attwood and the lady explained what voltages I should have and where. Checked it and ordered the part, problem solved.

When I can't get a technical manual, like for this old hot water heater I always try the manufacturer for advice. Sometimes they can help, sometimes there are no repair parts available.

Always good to check though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #58

I do all I can, don't trust anyone to do my work....................

if I can't do it we find the best around and watch him work.

supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I do ALL repairs and/or modifications on our coach and all of our vehicles and toys. NO ONE else will ever touch anything I own. Granted I am a mechanic by trade but it bothers me to see some of the half-assed jobs that are done out there by other shops as well as a few owners who probably shouldn't do anything more than put fuel in. My wife says that I am anal about things or bordering on OCD.

I have seen many owners who are somewhat mechanically inclined do much better work than some 'professional' shops. That said, there are still many shops out there that take pride in their work and value their reputation.

There is no way my wife and I could afford the vehicles and toys that we have if I didn't do the work myself (not on our salaries). Mike.
Right there with you Mike..just finished my solar install (tips from HandyBob THANKS).

Tell wife if you were really bad it would be CDO
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
same here,i ,couldnotget my hands in to it did pay to replace heater core .dykedelta1
Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #61

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
There is no way my wife and I could afford the vehicles and toys that we have if I didn't do the work myself (not on our salaries). Mike.
I worked in the auto business for many years and often wondered how people could afford to spend thousands of dollars per year on maintenance and repairs. I consider myself lucky that I have a strong automotive repair back ground and as you, can't stand it when someone else works on my vehicles.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #62

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Today while I was trying to determine how to replace a belt, in my 83 Pace Arrow, and finding that it seems to me it is all but impossible to get anywhere near the engine to perform much of the work due to the confined work space, I must now ask myself how many motor-home owners perform most of the work needed on their motor-home?

If you do a lot of the work what things do you do? Then what things will you never attempt?

This is asking those whom are not full time mechanics anyway.
I am willing to try almost any work as long as I get good advice on this forum and RV.net Not a mechanic or even mechanically inclined. Just extremely frugile I have fixed my gen Autopark brake. Levelers and awnings. Did my own tuneup and brake job. All with the help of the great folks here and on the web.

Thanks
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
I do everything, no shop will ever get their hands on any of my vehicles. DW hates it, she would at least like to take the 300C into the dealer.
J
what is a 300 c ?
perhaps a red,black or white mopar
brianj
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
what is a 300 c ?
perhaps a red,black or white mopar
brianj
A 300 with the Hemi.
J
Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
A 300 with the Hemi.
J
I'm guessing a Benz...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try to do my own work at home. I am just concerned about my first breakdown on the road. I know it will be expensive.

Installed a VMSpc to give warning of failure. Just installed a Westec Fuel pressure gauge to monitor Lift pump pressure. Hopefully I can get pre-warned about a failure.

All filter changes, oil coolant,lubrication, etc are done here at the house.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm guessing a Benz...
Chrysler
J
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #68

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm guessing a Benz...
Well.. It kinda was a Benz.
Before they sold Chrysler.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
i do everytning except tires .it is frstrating when i cannot find overhaul manual or service nanualson HR 98 endeaver. eatlier HR I had had good manuals but not newer ones .It would be nice to have layout drawings of wiring ,water lines and propane and good line drawings to TS wiring items ,not just block schematics furnished by freightliner .Firs HR was on Ford Chasis and by using truck manual for Ford I was able to TS most all problems but with FORD was not very
many . do know a shorted out tailllight will deactivate cruise and lock in torgue convertor .still Ford will,not admit . John Endeaver pilot .
Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #70

I am a retired Field Service Rep (Douglas/Boeing Aircraft) and a licensed A&P mechanic. I am now 77 years old and still do most of the servicing myself but am having trouble getting to the heavier jobs like taking the duals from the rear and changing the pads etc. I know how but the body is now unwilling!!! Drives me nuts to see some of these so called mech work. Anyway I'm still trying. I still do all of the electrical and airconditioning work as well as lighter mechanical stuff. Recently blew the torque converter and the labor alone was $1000 to r/r the tranny with a remaned unit. I went through the task mentally and really didn't see a thousand bucks but when your old, ....

Tony