Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How many motorhome owner do most of the work on their motor-homes

Today while I was trying to determine how to replace a belt, in my 83 Pace Arrow, and finding that it seems to me it is all but impossible to get anywhere near the engine to perform much of the work due to the confined work space, I must now ask myself how many motor-home owners perform most of the work needed on their motor-home?

If you do a lot of the work what things do you do? Then what things will you never attempt?

This is asking those whom are not full time mechanics anyway.
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kartvines,
I do almost all the work on my coach. There are a few general rules I follow.
I let a pro do the work if:
1. the tools needed are expensive
2. it is an emergency or I am on the road
3. after consulting this forum and I remain clueless
4. it is more than a one person job

Other than that, I will tackle just about anything that needs to be done.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

I'll do all general maintenance... belts, fluids, filters, hoses (and generator), greasing. I'll do SOME heavier repair provided I don't need to raise the motorhome off the ground as I lack a heavy enough jack and jackstands or a driveway hard enough to deal with jackstands. I'll do any repair on the interior such as appliances, electrical (con/in/verter), plumbing, flooring, interior mechanical, etc etc.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
If I can get to all the bolts and I can lift the part out I'll attempt the repair. Last repair was a broken manifold,stuck waste gate actuator & busted air compressor hose. All in all I saved myself about $1000 in labor. Major work like engine or transmission I wouldn't attempt. Oil & filter is no problem,just messy. Run of the mill maintenance I don't mind doing.
Enjoy life now - it has an expiration date.
safe travels...

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It's very impressive how many members do most of their own mecanical work on their coaches. But... at least when it comes to the chassis... I'm not one of them.

I'll do anything related to the coach itself but Freightliner does all of my cha$$i$ work.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I'll do anything electrical or fluid related. We're getting ready to install a 400 watt solar system and I've researched it enough to feel competent.

This forum is a key driver to that comfort level by the way. Good luck on whatever maintanance you decide to perform.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #7

I do all my own service,oil,filters, lube, belts, hoses, on the chassis, and anything water or electrical on the coach.
philco02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #8

Thumbs up

As a retired equipment field mechanic I try to do most of our work. But old age has crept in on me. I did find a very skilled equipment mechanic in the Hemet Ca. area that needs work during this slowed down economy. I am totally comfortable with his mechanic and welding skills. The best part of this, he does it at his country home (Homeland, Ca.) where he has partial hookups.
Last January he replaced cracked exhaust manifold, checked turbo and plumbing, checked fuel transfer pressure, replaced belt tensioner and belt, fabricated entry railing, fabricated expanded metal floor in propane compartment and replaced the U-joints.
This December I plan on having him replace the alternator with a Delco Remy SI 28 200 amp alternator, change out heater hoses, test CAC for leaks, test coolant and run lube oil test strip and replace muffler.
JB Equipment Repair and Maintenance jbequipmentrepair@msn.com 951.634.1914
It is hard to find someone to trust with your MH and I can give this gentleman couple of thumbs up.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Homeland motorhome mechanic

Good to hear a recommendation of someone in my area, I will differently keep this in mind if and when I need something major work performed, but right now being I will have to tow my motorhome to a mechanic I guess I will stay local, how does his fees compare to others in the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle RC Air View Post
As a retired equipment field mechanic I try to do most of our work. But old age has crept in on me. I did find a very skilled equipment mechanic in the Hemet Ca. area that needs work during this slowed down economy. I am totally comfortable with his mechanic and welding skills. The best part of this, he does it at his country home (Homeland, Ca.) where he has partial hookups.
Last January he replaced cracked exhaust manifold, checked turbo and plumbing, checked fuel transfer pressure, replaced belt tensioner and belt, fabricated entry railing, fabricated expanded metal floor in propane compartment and replaced the U-joints.
This December I plan on having him replace the alternator with a Delco Remy SI 28 200 amp alternator, change out heater hoses, test CAC for leaks, test coolant and run lube oil test strip and replace muffler.
JB Equipment Repair and Maintenance jbequipmentrepair@msn.com 951.634.1914
It is hard to find someone to trust with your MH and I can give this gentleman couple of thumbs up.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I now have to ask if the newer motorhome have more space to work on them, my 83 Pace Arrow seems to be so tight of work space I have decided it almost impossible to even replace a belt that broke, I would have to work on it from above almost laying on the engine. I went underneath and there was no access to the engine what so ever. I can reach the carb, the spark plugs, I couldn't even see where the oil filter was located, and I do not feel very conformable jacking it up and putting it on jack stands. Or am I missing something?: I would really like to be able to work on it, especially in the case of getting stuck in nowhere land, but I just have not been able to see any other access except form the top.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #11

I've watched service and repairs being done to our coach and thought to myself, 'there's no way I could have done that at home'. More power to guys and gals who work on these things but what am I gonna do with 8 gallons of oil. Or slide around on a creeper under 16 tons and try to find 32 lube points?

Our living room slide once wouldn't come in on a trip. After nosing around for an hour trying to find a blown fuse ar loose connection we called a mobile mechanic. Within 15-20 minutes he traced down the problem. Seems a previous owner had lost power somehow to the original circuit and they decided to tap into a circuit that was not being used. Never would have found that.

I wish I could do more on our coach but these things are just too complicated for me and I'm OK with that. As Clint Eastwood said in the movie Magnum Force..."A man's got to know his limitations".
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm 70 + and do all my own maintance. Just changed the oil in the engine +filter And in the allison Trans Oil + filter , And the cat air Filter, Greased the coach it's a freightliner with the neway front end Has about 30 fittings + 6 on the rear pusher Drive shaft. pulled the engine on the coach we had befor the Ultimate. it was a Winne. Vectra; You all can do most any thing on a motorhome; Ask a friend for advice, Then don't do what he says; He probley don;t know as much about it as you do. When I did my heavy work I didn't have all this help at my disposal. I could tell you stories of Our Motorhome Experiances that you would not believe; One time they were Stopping all traffic going over lookout pass in Montana. We were going snowmobiling To Yellowstone Montana From Seattle; WE had our 34' Winne, Chiefton. We hit Wallace ID; 8" fresh snow on the Interstate; I stopped chained up. started the climb up the pass the Hiway patrol had the road closed , we pulled up I told him we were Going snowmobiling And had them in the covered trailer we were pulling. We looked the trailer over Checked the chains on the moterhome, and said take care go slow and have fun, IT took us 1 1/2 hours to go 26 miles , we were the only ones they left go. The rest of the traffic was held back.. My wife couldn't believe it. But she was there. We chained the Vectra.34 Footer. We chained the 38 Footer Ultimate advantage; They all pulled a covered trailer appx. 6500 lbs. We never had any problems; When you snowmobile you allways go up to the snow;; Other then If you pull anything that has lights It will add an extra load on the light switch,, and it will burn out. IT's just when that's inconvienant,. So carry a spare. I have replaced them on the side on the road. Its a 15 minute job. And it's nice to have lights out; back;; Life is so good. I hope I live a long as MOSES did. Couse I have a lot of friends Yet to meet;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I do everything, no shop will ever get their hands on any of my vehicles. DW hates it, she would at least like to take the 300C into the dealer.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Do all of the work on my unit,have a nice shop and retired so have lots of time.