Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #141

Gulf Streamers Club
Seems like the consensus is: Let others buy new and do the manufacturer's quality control and fix all errors, then we'll buy used and enjoy trouble free RVing! (At least initially)

I'm struck by everyone's successful used purchase and the many threads of folks spending new price $$ and having lot's of heartache.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #142

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I'm struck by everyone's successful used purchase and the many threads of folks spending new price $$ and having lot's of heartache.
The low production volume and high degree of customization of motorhomes means that they don't lend themselves to the level of automation used in automobile production and probably never will.

Ordering a MH is more like how things were in the 50's and 60's when you'd order a new car. The salesman wrote down your list of "options" on piece of paper and, hopefully, what got put on your car had some relationship with what was on that list. Cars came through production and got delivered to consumers with all sorts of things wrong with them. I vividly recall a 1963 Ford that my father and I proudly ordered. When we got it a couple of months later it had so many things that had to be fixed that it seemed like it was always going back to the dealer, who often seemed to break as many things as they fixed.

All that changed for the better in the late 70's and 80's as automated production lines made it much easier to provide the high level of quality control we enjoy on vehicles today. Today's consumers would never tolerate the things we had to put up with with new vehicles only a few decades ago.

Unfortunately, according to RVIA the entire production of MH's by all manufacturers runs at a level of about 2,500/mo these days. That's only slightly more than the Toyota plant near Lexington KY can build in a day. That's why we're never going to see automation and quality control like we see with cars.

Therefore, IMHO it is better to let someone else buy the new MH and take the depreciation and headaches that go with doing that; I'll enjoy my well-cared for older one whose previous owners debugged it for me!

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #143

Country Coach Owners Club
docj, excellent analysis. Thank you.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #144

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
The low production volume and high degree of customization of motorhomes means that they don't lend themselves to the level of automation used in automobile production and probably never will. Ordering a MH is more like how things were in the 50's and 60's when you'd order a new car. The salesman wrote down your list of "options" on piece of paper and, hopefully, what got put on your car had some relationship with what was on that list. Cars came through production and got delivered to consumers with all sorts of things wrong with them. I vividly recall a 1963 Ford that my father and I proudly ordered. When we got it a couple of months later it had so many things that had to be fixed that it seemed like it was always going back to the dealer, who often seemed to break as many things as they fixed. All that changed for the better in the late 70's and 80's as automated production lines made it much easier to provide the high level of quality control we enjoy on vehicles today. Today's consumers would never tolerate the things we had to put up with with new vehicles only a few decades ago. Unfortunately, according to RVIA the entire production of MH's by all manufacturers runs at a level of about 2,500/mo these days. That's only slightly more than the Toyota plant near Lexington KY can build in a day. That's why we're never going to see automation and quality control like we see with cars. Therefore, IMHO it is better to let someone else buy the new MH and take the depreciation and headaches that go with doing that; I'll enjoy my well-cared for older one whose previous owners debugged it for me!
I would have to say I agree with everything....previous owner of our MH and I talk often and he also bought another used RV this time because my 2000 HR was his first new purchase and spent many months with minor issues being fixed at the dealer. The dealer who sold it to me was the initial dealer who sold it new and provided me with all the dealer work done as well. What I bought was a great 2000 HR Endeavor with one owner and 48,000 miles. Very nice...needed a great polish and wax...interior was perfect except the carpet has a few minor stains...no big deal...drove it 6000 miles this year since we bought it October of 2012...3500 miles to Sturgis and back and I am so hooked on the RV travel life...trailer in tow behind with our Harley's and now looking at a small car to pull....no way I am putting the corvette on a trailer to pull around...I paid $26000 for a beautiful RV and watch others pay $100,000 for a new one to loose $25,000 when they walk out the door....not a smart financial decision...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3301941197.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	51579
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #145

Gulf Streamers Club
docj, I completely agree. The thing is, how much is this lack of initial quality harming the RV industry? How much would it cost to have EVERY system, switch, and circuit checked before the unit leaves the factory site? What percentage of a $100,000 -$500,000 rig? I don't think it would be that much and what a selling point for the company that does it! Depreciation is my main reason for buying used, but even I might be drawn in if I knew a product was checked that thoroughly.
Back in '68-'70, while in college, I earned my tuition by driving a 'Roach Coach' for a catering company in Elkhart, Ind. I serviced hundreds of the RV and Mobile Home industry suppliers and building manufacturers of the era. As the workers bought their snacks from me, I heard and saw many jokers telling tales of slapping things together and covering up mistakes. It made me more sensitive to looking at details when going through any manufactured item. Today, sadly, the flash is bigger, the finish is shinier, but I still see the same bonehead mistakes and lack of follow through in putting together most RVs. The U.S. auto industry was schooled by Japan and Germany, who's going to teach the RV industry? Probably the only thing saving them right now is shipping costs and volume of sales.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #146
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
The low production volume and high degree of customization of motorhomes means that they don't lend themselves to the level of automation used in automobile production and probably never will....
Therefore, IMHO it is better to let someone else buy the new MH and take the depreciation and headaches that go with doing that; I'll enjoy my well-cared for older one whose previous owners debugged it for me!
Now wait...While we bought our motorhome used, our last RV was a new purchase Travel Trailer and we have purchased our share of brand new cars...so I would like to add:

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE BUYING NEW!
The fact that it is all yours, that new RV smell, getting all the factory doo-dads, manuals, flyers, warantee...etc.

We had only 1 issue with the TT (missing fuse in the 12VDC system), so we would do it again, if we were that sure about the purchase. I believe a complete PDI at the point of sale can discover many issues before they become a problem.

We purchased this motorhome because it was our first Class A, so we were not perfectly clear what was right for us...but now we know CLASS A RV'S ARE AWESOME!

So, next time it will probably be a brand new unit built to our specs...unless we can find another perfect condition, gently used RV, so someone else pays the depreciation

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy