Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #15

We purchased our 2006 Mandalay from a private owner just over a year ago. We put 12,000 miles on it this year (at 48,000 now) with not one moment of trouble with anything and no unscheduled maintenance items. The previous owner took VERY good care of it and I have tried to maintain his high standards of maintenance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a 2009 Outlaw 13 months ago and have had two problems in that year. One is the step motor went out and cost of $200 with me doing the labor and the other was a leak in a hydraulic line for the levelers, that was $300 in parts and $300 for labor. I don't think that is too bad for our first year.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We purchased a then 10 year old MH from a private seller. We had absolutely no problems of any sort for more than six months. With machines this complicated things will break, but so far the costs have been manageable IMO.
You mean something like this?

2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder, Warsaw IN - 110985461 - RVTrader.com

It's lovely!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Bought ours used, from Ebay, rig was 1,500 miles away in Casper, WY. Flew out, inspected and given full introduction by RV tech. I drove it home and no issues, everything worked and continues to work, been on multiple long trips, still love it. I prefer used in autos, boats, and RVs, why should I do all the corrections from manufacturer AND take the new vehicle depreciation? I prefer to let someone else find and fix all the errors before I step in later at a used price.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
loving your responses, keep em comin'
Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought our several years ago, drove it from CA to NC no problems. In the last two years, I replaced a working refrigerator (seals were gone) one leveling jack. The rest were upgrades. Mechanically it is sound with 125K
Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I bought our several years ago, drove it from CA to NC no problems. In the last two years, I replaced a working refrigerator (seals were gone) one leveling jack. The rest were upgrades. Mechanically it is sound with 125K
I have a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador in my sites... Would love to hear more about the Holiday Rambler rigs for sure.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Different floorplan than ours, and different exterior color but basically the same. The one downside I see is that this coach does not appear to have been upgraded over the years; even the TV in the front room is the original and the satellite dish is also. That's something we see with lots of RVers; they start with a nice coach but they don't continue to update and modernize it over the years.

We've replaced all the appliances and electronics in ours and changed to a residential fridge. The front carpet has been removed and the furniture is vastly upgraded. We wouldn't live in a house without remodeling and improving it; why would we live like that in an RV?

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice MH, but count on putting at least $3-5K in just to replace TV's and satellite system, more if you want to replace 14 year old appliances.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
MY LOANS APPROVED!!!! YAYAAA!!!

Super excited, but scared pantless. Mainly cause I have read the horror stories... "My new MH was in the shop for 9 months"... or "My used MH fell to pieces within one second of leaving the lot."

Horror stories are easy to write about... and so there are more of them.

But how many folks bought a used DP MH, and came out unscathed? And what year and model is that girl?
Not me... but my Buddy flew to California, Bought a 8 year old DP, drove it back to Maryland.... no issues, stopped twice in Oklahoma for a tag light out.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #24

If you've been blessed with the money, don't care about the depreciation, plan on keeping it for a long time, really like it then buy new. I know two that have bought new and they told me the dealer drove it the first year more than they did, When you buy new you expect perfect and if it ain't then take her back because it does have the "W" word.

If you are not really sure about the MH scene, don't have the money, would like to get back something relative close for your money invested and don't plan on doing this for much over 5 years (maybe longer if you find that you really like it), then buy used.

I didn't want to invest a boat load of money into something that I "thought" I would enjoy, so to get my feet wet... I bought a 10 year old Discovery, 38 ft. DP w/ 12,500 miles, garage kept. I've bought new tires, changed all fluids, new TV's, a satellite dish and new front sway bar bushings. My want list is a safe-t-plus, RV GPS, tow bar and retire in three months. Then I'm going to really see if I like the MH stuff

I have found that I'm not one of those that can sit outside under the awning and thats all. I've got to be doing something like fishing when I go "camping". All my camping travels so far have been to the lake, a trout stream or surf fishing...but thats just me

btw: DW loves it ... she reads a lot and loves the piece and quiet
buckstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2010 Phaeton almost 8 1/2 months ago with 21k miles on it. We have now put an additional 11K miles on it with no problems. We did take it by Red Bay on our return home to have the Big Three checked and also general service. We feel very fortunate.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #26

We bought our 2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit a year ago October. Aside from a broken windshield before we ever left the lot. This turned out to be a big pain in the a$$ to get resolved and cost at least three people their jobs. It's been an awesome unit and a very good experience for first time MH owners. We're planning our first trip to Florida in May and can't wait.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Bought an 05 Fleetwood 38N in 2009 with 5K miles on it, drove it until last year for about 30K more miles miles and never had a single issue except a broken door awning. traded it in last year for an 05 Newmar 4304 that was 7 hours away, and aside from a few minor things we knew about when we purchased it not a single problem that could not be taken care of in the driveway in less than a few minutes, put 15K miles on it. Just traded that coach in back in Sept for an 07 Eagle 45H that was 1500 miles away (one way). Drove the Newmar down and picked up the Eagle, no issues at all on the return trip to include a week of camping except for battery cables that were lose. All house batteries were newly changed out and they didn't get them tight. That caused a few issues on the drive before I figured out what it was. Have been in the coach several times since purchase with no issues. So there are three more success stories for you. Congrats on your purchase, understand that these things are going to break, it is inevitable. But until they do enjoy it, and then once broken and repaired enjoy it again and repeat the process.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #28

Quote:
MY LOANS APPROVED!!!! YAYAAA!!!

Super excited, but scared pantless. Mainly cause I have read the horror stories... "My new MH was in the shop for 9 months"... or "My used MH fell to pieces within one second of leaving the lot."

Horror stories are easy to write about... and so there are more of them.

But how many folks bought a used DP MH, and came out unscathed? And what year and model is that girl?
A lot depends on the make, year and how long it has been setting and not being used. The service records are usually in the bag with the owners manual. Study them!

Stano

Stano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy