Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our Coach when it was 9 years old w/29,000 miles on it........5 years later 55,000 miles on her and not one problem, nothing broken, not one repair.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #44
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought ours right. We got the MH a DP about $10,000 under the NADA list price. That leaves a lot of room for repairs and improvements. So far we haven't spent nearly that much. Not even half.

What I have done is repair and replace what over ten years of neglect have done. It had never been polished and I rubbed it out, waxed it, and then put on four coats of sealer. Lots of drawer catches, slides, ect to replace or repair. Have had the Heat Pump checked out as well as the furnace and water heater. Cleaned the carpets. New back up lights and wide mud flap.

We have had the engine checked and serviced as well as the brakes checked. Lots of little stuff.

But heck, that's half the fun of it.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
You have all given me renewed faith! Thanks my friends, I really appreciate it, and needed the little boost right before signing on the dotted line.

Tomorrow, I am going to do the deal on a coach that has me so tickled pink I could scream. It's like, honestly, the perfect coach for my wife, myself, my dogs and our business (oh and our budget

The research phase for me has been a little nervewracking... so many choices out there, and so much to learn so quickly, combined with a big commitment can get ya a little freaked out.

So it was a true pleasure to read some happy stories!

Happy thanksgiving to all!!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #46

Purchased a 1990 Winnebago Superchief last year. 23 years old. My neighbor owned for 20 years and I know he took care of it. 3700 miles this summer. Only problem heat sensor for electric fans. With a motorhome this old I know there will be repairs, but so far it's been good
Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #47

I bought a 1997 HR Endeavor and it had most of the problems I would expect in an RV, boat, house, or car of the same vintage. There were a few surprises but mostly what I expected. No regrets ... price matched condition.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
You have all given me renewed faith! Thanks my friends, I really appreciate it, and needed the little boost right before signing on the dotted line.

Tomorrow, I am going to do the deal on a coach that has me so tickled pink I could scream. It's like, honestly, the perfect coach for my wife, myself, my dogs and our business (oh and our budget

The research phase for me has been a little nervewracking... so many choices out there, and so much to learn so quickly, combined with a big commitment can get ya a little freaked out.

I am glad you found the perfect coach. I am going to highly recommend an extended warranty if you have that option. I bought a 2005 tiffin allegro bus and purchased a 3 year warranty with it. The warranty was expensive but I have not regretted it. Three weeks after I bought my bus a high pressure fuel line cracked. That is just the luck of the draw. Could have happened on any bus but it did mine and the warranty picked up the repair. (600,00) I have had several things that needed to be fixed. Nothing earth shattering but letting the warranty fix them is easier than doing it myself. We use our motor home a lot and I figure by the end of the warranty period we should have a lot of stuff that goes out because of age related repaired. So far we have replaced the satellite dish, one of the leveler jacks, shower drain leak, the automatic function of taking in the awning for high winds, The hydraulic controller for the cooling fan.The power cord reel quit working the last time I pulled in the power cord and I will have the reel fixed or replaced the next time I can get to the dealers. The other issue I have not fixed is the defroster on the drivers side quit blowing air. Most of these repairs I could have done myself and depending on what they were maybe saved some money. By having the warranty I do not have to worry about it. I noticed a poster said something about getting units fixed and the time involved. I make an appointment to have repairs done and then when I get there I expect it to be worked on. The first repair I had that did not happen and I had a long chat with the customer service department and the dealership manager, now they fix it when I arrive for my appointment
Old 11-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
I purchased mine 2 years ago, I knew it was a repo, had no maintenance history, and the dealer was 6 hours 1 way. I checked out what I could, and had the local Cat repair shop give the engine a good look over. Negotiated it down to less than NADA Dealer wholesale pricing, drove it off the lot, and other than the house batteries this past year (Which I knew were original when I bought it), and regular maintenance costs, have not had any mechanical repairs.
I would do it again. I realize some want the maint. records, fluid samples sent in and the results back, interrogation of the previous owner, but I was satisfied after looking at the Coach with what I saw and bought it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
MY LOANS APPROVED!!!! YAYAAA!!! Super excited, but scared pantless. Mainly cause I have read the horror stories... "My new MH was in the shop for 9 months"... or "My used MH fell to pieces within one second of leaving the lot." Horror stories are easy to write about... and so there are more of them. But how many folks bought a used DP MH, and came out unscathed? And what year and model is that girl?
We purchased a 2000 Holiday Rambler from a dealer in 2012.. One owner...49000 miles and in great condition....dealer provided a warranty,,,.so far 6000 miles and one of the longest was 3500 miles to Sturgis. No problems,....polished and cleaned it up some...did some work on my own,..just changed the stripes to colors I like...I was surprised how well it was made and that how easy to drive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4277203265.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	50909
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #51

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

We are in the research stage in preparation for my retirement and have been having fierce fun researching. We will have the similar family configuration; two people, two small dogs, and room for me to continue working if I choose. So, when you wrote which coach had you drooling, I had to look it up.

I can see why you are so excited!

Enjoy!

Lindsay
Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on our third used MH and we have had no bad surprises. Class C, then A, then A with slide. Now wife has mentioned that 2 slides would be nice. Told her they were outlawed in 2003. So now every time we see a MH with two slides, or more, I comment on how good it looks for a ten year old MH

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #53

I have a 2007 Ambassador 40PLQ. Bought used 3 years ago, and no regrets. I do my own maintenance and only very minor problems. Like it so much, I quit looking at newer rigs as mine is paid for.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
After a week of investigation on our MH we bought ours from a private seller with a punch list of items that needed to be changed, fixed or traded out. We adjusted the price based on what it was going to cost us to bring the coach up to our standards and the seller agreed. We drove it from the sellers house directly to a Fleetwood dealer with our punch list. We were extremely satisfied and the coach has worked flawlessly except for a fuel rail sensor that went out on us last summer (only Cat engines have this) leaving us stranded in a rest area. All worked out, however, and we are still avid RVer's and happy with our purchase. Like others have said, they are complicated rigs and like all machines they are prone to breakdown. If your resilient with them, they will will give you thrills of a lifetime.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #55

Bought the bus in my sig in 2010, dealer included a 5 day PDI during which a competent RV tech fixed everything we could find. Very little needed fixing, and we still haven't had a major problem. This was a 1997 Prevost with over 220,000 miles.

Bought a 2008 Winnebago View this spring to take on our trip to Alaska. It had over 150,000 miles, only problem was that the water heater only worked with gas. Hubby and I traced wires and found one disconnected. He reattached the wire to the terminal and it fixed the problem. We then drove it over 10,000 miles touring Alaska and Canada, including a trip over Top of the World Highway. Still no problems.

We tend to prefer diesel motorhomes with high mileage, it means someone actually used them instead of letting them sit in storage.
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought our 82 Pace Arrow 2 years ago from a private party it had 42,000 miles now has just under 50,000. So far the only problem was 2 fuel filters and one battery. We have done a lot of stuff that we wanted like the exhaust pipes moved to behind the wheels and leveled off and in stainless , a cracked manifold (replaced), had air bags installed all the way around moved a few of the tires around. Speaking of tires be sure to check the mfg date if more than 7 years old better start looking to replace them. The engine is so quit with the dog house on all you can hear is the radiator fan. I have a wish list going but monies are tight I had to retire @ 56 because of health issues. Didn't see that coming.
Happy turkey day,

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy