Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #85

No major issues at all in just short of 5 years of ownership and 32,800 miles of rolling down the road.

Just drove her to the storage lot...80,500 miles on the clock after the Thanksgiving weekend trip.

DW just made an entire Thanksgiving feast that was refrigerated, transported and cooked in our almost 15 year old appliances without a hitch.

Slide topper needs replacement now, ditto for the inverter but the coach is fully functional for our use without these items.

Zero Engine or transmission issues. Did have to replace the tires and of course the annual P.M.'s and every 3 year P.M.'s but have used heavy truck shops and Speedco which has kept the costs very reasonable IMHO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
No major issues at all in just short of 5 years of ownership and 32,800 miles of rolling down the road. Just drove her to the storage lot...80,500 miles on the clock after the Thanksgiving weekend trip. DW just made an entire Thanksgiving feast that was refrigerated, transported and cooked in our almost 15 year old appliances without a hitch. Slide topper needs replacement now, ditto for the inverter but the coach is fully functional for our use without these items. Zero Engine or transmission issues. Did have to replace the tires and of course the annual P.M.'s and every 3 year P.M.'s but have used heavy truck shops and Speedco which has kept the costs very reasonable IMHO.
Congratulations on your very positive experience. Mine has been much the same. We were on the road this Thanksgiving and ate out but Christmas will see us doing the 15 pound turkey & normal sides just like the previous 7 years.

We've replaced 2 of the 3 slide toppers now. Speedco is a good option for some of the PM. So long is I'm physically able, I will do much of the L/O/F myself. Don't forget transmission and air dryer service. Speedco will not do those.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Oh my goodness Jay!! Your new coach is gorgeous. We're so happy for you guys...

We'd heard the horror stories too and simply took our sweet time deciding what we would upgrade to. Our story began a few short years ago while towing our 19 foot travel trailer to Quartzsite for the first time. The DW saw this Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 31SFD and fell head over tea kettle for the full wall slide. We decided on a small used diesel pusher instead and the rest is history...

Our 2004 Journey 34H will be one year old come this January and we've camped at least one to two weekends a month since we bought her. I had to replace the house water pump so far and machine a new toilet base. So far it's been rock solid dependable. "Knock on wood"

Tons to learn with regards to diesel maintenance and very thankful to have found all you fine folks and to have met FIRE UP, our new and very knowledgeable camping buddies.

Don't let her sit in storage and enjoy your new lifestyle!!
I hear that!

This coach is really a lot about business, so we are gonna give her a lot of use. We are already spending X number of dollars to get in and out of each expo we go to, except over the last two years it was wasted on airline tickets, bad airport food, and gross hotels. The next two years are gonna be a little different :
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Different floorplan than ours, and different exterior color but basically the same. The one downside I see is that this coach does not appear to have been upgraded over the years; even the TV in the front room is the original and the satellite dish is also. That's something we see with lots of RVers; they start with a nice coach but they don't continue to update and modernize it over the years.

We've replaced all the appliances and electronics in ours and changed to a residential fridge. The front carpet has been removed and the furniture is vastly upgraded. We wouldn't live in a house without remodeling and improving it; why would we live like that in an RV?

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice MH, but count on putting at least $3-5K in just to replace TV's and satellite system, more if you want to replace 14 year old appliances.
Much of what you say is true, for instance replacing the carpeting. I have a quote from a local shop for less than $1000 for my 1999.. As far as the electronics, no everyone wants all that new stuff. Mine still work but I never have the desire to turn them on. Additionally, I don't see the benefit of replacing an expensive refrigerator with a household unit, at least not if you want full functionality.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #89

Smile used mh

Just got back from 1000 miles still no problem with used motor home had 38000 when we got from dealer . 2002 intruder
Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #90

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Additionally, I don't see the benefit of replacing an expensive refrigerator with a household unit, at least not if you want full functionality.
With all due respect, if you are a full-timer the difference between an RV refrigerator and a residential one is like night and day. Putting aside the fact that things in the freezer really stay frozen and there is far less humidity in the fresh food area so salad stuff stays better, the real benefit is the huge increase in storage capability. In pretty much the same space as the 12 cu ft Norcold we now have 18 cu ft of storage with a lot of the increase being in the freezer. As for losing "full functionality", we, of course, can't use propane to power the fridge, but it runs just fine on the inverter while we travel and we could always turn on the generator if we needed to.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #91

We purchased a 96 ellegro bus with 25000 on it, drove it home 700 miles without problems. I have been checking it out and all is working fine. I've spent an additional $3000 for tires and replacement parts and I believe I can go across country now without any issues. Planning a trip this winter for Arizona.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #92

Bought a 4301 Mountain Aire 04 last month have driven it about 2500 miles with no problem I think to the new buyer, it has a lot to do with what dealer yo buy from, ours for the third time was great.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
With all due respect, if you are a full-timer the difference between an RV refrigerator and a residential one is like night and day. Putting aside the fact that things in the freezer really stay frozen and there is far less humidity in the fresh food area so salad stuff stays better, the real benefit is the huge increase in storage capability. In pretty much the same space as the 12 cu ft Norcold we now have 18 cu ft of storage with a lot of the increase being in the freezer. As for losing "full functionality", we, of course, can't use propane to power the fridge, but it runs just fine on the inverter while we travel and we could always turn on the generator if we needed to.

I'm a little nervous on the ability of the norcold. I would be interested in knowing what resi fridge you put in.

I'm also a bit of an RV dummy (in RV 101 school :P) and I am thinking that as you drive, the inverter is pulling power from the batteries, but that the alternator is charging the batteries as you go? Or is that not the way it works unless you run the genny?
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #94

Quote:
Which refer to use fulltime is a personal preference. My 8cf Norcold is truly wonderful, and just fine night and day. YMMV

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #95

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Which refer to use fulltime is a personal preference. My 8cf Norcold is truly wonderful, and just fine night and day. YMMV
Interesting, well we are certainly going to give ours a go. It was cold on the dealers lot for sure. We aren't fulltimers, but we will be "lots of timers"
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
8 months owning a 2005 Newmar and so far the only thing at this point is new batteries
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #97

Forest River Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-420355165.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	51123

Name:	image-2348989031.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	51125

Name:	image-2348989031.jpg
Views:	125
ID:	51125

Plasma800....

Jay, here's what I did... It works off AC/DC so as I'm going down the road it switches over to 12V but when I plug in it automatically switches to 110... I now have tons of freezer space without having to give up pantry space... Simple to use and easy to get to...

Ernest...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4151302201.jpg
Views:	34
ID:	51124  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #98

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm a little nervous on the ability of the norcold. I would be interested in knowing what resi fridge you put in.

I'm also a bit of an RV dummy (in RV 101 school :P) and I am thinking that as you drive, the inverter is pulling power from the batteries, but that the alternator is charging the batteries as you go? Or is that not the way it works unless you run the genny?
We installed a Samsung RF197 like many other RVers. It is an affordable counter-depth unit and it pretty much fits the footprint of the Norcold 1200 series. There are lots of threads on this forum about installing this unit; just search for "residential refrigerator" or "Samsung RF197".

You are correct that when we are traveling the alternator (and our small solar panel) are charging the batteries while the inverter is discharging them. These modern refrigerators are very energy efficient; the Samsung uses ~100 watts of power on the average.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy