Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Just wait till you need parts for your Samsung. My appliance repairman curses them as parts are almost impossible to get hold of.
I broke the freezer drawer bracket due to some hundred pounds of Salmon shifting in the freezer and the drawer coming open. I could not close the freezer door. Called Samsung who recommended the nearest dealer. Parts were there the next day, and covered under warranty, even though it was my fault.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #114

We purchased a 2000 American Tradition used in Florida for half of what a local Indiana dealer wanted for the same coach (saved 45k). Yes, we had to spend some $$ on repairs and service, about $6500. From June to November we put 6000 miles on it living in our 40 ft coach fulltime. Learning a lot about the different systems and maintaining as we go. 98% of the stuff you worry about never happens.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #115

We bought a 2007 Beaver Contessa Venice last May. It had 17,170 miles and was kept in spectacular shape. Bought it from a small, but very honest dealer, in the northwest. We found one small malfunction on our first trip but was fixed by the dealer immediately when we returned. We've put put about 3,00 miles on it so far over about 10 trips with no problems. This motorhome has been a dream come true.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #116
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought a 3 year old 2007 Damon/Thor Outlaw from a small car dealer in Texas where the dealer owners had decided to dabble in RV sales.

We have had no problems with the RV despite the fact that we found at a later date that it had been a REPO.

Somewhere between the factory and resale, all 3 original TV's, the VCR, the dash radio, the euro-recliner, the awning pull rod, and the fire extinguishers went missing.

But, the dealer replaced everything with new except the recliner...and gave us full retail credit to buy a new chair.

All-in-all the only problem we felt was lack of knowledge after the deal closed. But now we know that was to be expected because the dealership staff didn't know RV's. We love our RV and got a AWESOME DEAL.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #117

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We bought a 3 year old 2007 Damon/Thor
Somewhere between the factory and resale, all 3 original TV's, the VCR, the dash radio, the euro-recliner, the awning pull rod, and the fire extinguishers went missing.
Isn't it amazing how that stuff goes missing?? I opened up the door by the tv in my coach (prior to buying) and noticed all of the electronics missing. I figure though they have to be cheap to replace and didn't worry about it, but still...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Plasma800...

Jay....

Good thing about my set up is that it can be a freezer OR a refrigerator... Just depends on what my need might be at the moment.... Went to Huntsville SP back in October and filled it up with canned drinks and bottled water, set temp at 45 degrees and everything was perfect... On freezer setting, we fill it up set it at 25 degrees and then transfer what we might want to eat the next day from it to the inside freezer.... We used it this past summer for our 31 day trip and it ran constantly for 33 days without a single glitch.... We love it...
Does it run on 12volt too? or only 110?
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #119

Forest River Owners Club
It runs off both - and switches from one to the other automatically..... Really is a great addition to our rig...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
MY LOANS APPROVED!!!! YAYAAA!!!

Super excited, but scared pantless. Mainly cause I have read the horror stories... "My new MH was in the shop for 9 months"... or "My used MH fell to pieces within one second of leaving the lot."

Horror stories are easy to write about... and so there are more of them.

But how many folks bought a used DP MH, and came out unscathed? And what year and model is that girl?
Bought a 37 ' 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 18 months ago. No problems. This is our third class A in four years. First one was a new Georgetown that proved to me you get what you pay for. Poor quality and NO support. Next we got a 2006 Damon which was pretty good but was uncomfortable in the 41' length.
Love our Tiffin.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I found THIS video both informative and amusing all at the same time on you tube about the way norcolds work.

ABC's 4 RV's Refrigerator - YouTube
Thanks for posting very informative
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #122

We bought out 2001 HR Endeavor 38dp last spring and took it on a 4500 mile trip in July with only a oil change done to it. Since then I've wised up a bit and done alot of things wish I'd of done before we left. Took it to Cummins in OKC for service and received the crappiest service job in the world---they didn't even drain all the oil!!!!
We had trouble with turbo boost which turned out to be the line to the guage on the dash. Lots of odds and ends minor problems. Right now the followme sat dish is off and sent in to the factory to be repaired. Other than that not too bad, we love the RV.
HRDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #123

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDavid View Post
We bought out 2001 HR Endeavor 38dp last spring and took it on a 4500 mile trip in July with only a oil change done to it. Since then I've wised up a bit and done alot of things wish I'd of done before we left. Took it to Cummins in OKC for service and received the crappiest service job in the world---they didn't even drain all the oil!!!!
We had trouble with turbo boost which turned out to be the line to the guage on the dash. Lots of odds and ends minor problems. Right now the follow me sat dish is off and sent in to the factory to be repaired. Other than that not too bad, we love the RV.
I think my first stop is going to be the cat dealer and have them do whatever the engine might need.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #124

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought a 2001 National Marlin 390 DP in March. I took it to a diesel truck shop and had them check it over and change fluids, etc. cost me ~$450. I wanted to start out with a known engine status and they said it looks very good and it only has 28,000 miles.

I fixed a few small things (can't remember what they were) then went on some short trips and then in June a longer 1500 mile trip to Arkansas. No major problems and the trip was uneventful as far as the MH goes.

However, it was 12 years old and the interior needed upgrading. It was livable but I didn't like it. To see what changes I made you can click here:

http://flickr.com/photos/zzjea/sets

They have all been worth it and it looks like a new MH now and I guess it is with still less than 30,000 miles on it. I did all the work myself but don't want to do it again anytime soon.

Still have a couple of changes I plan to make like the dinning area.

Even new MHs have issues, sometimes as many as a used one. Seems like there is always room for issues with a moving house. Maintenance and vigilance and experience minimize the issues. If you are not a DIYer, then it will cost more $ otherwise it will cost you time. All MHs need attention and maintenance but sometimes things just happen and you have to deal with it then. I guess it's just part of the adventure. However, if you are buying from a dealer, try to negotiate a warranty or buy one.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #125

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post

However, it was 12 years old and the interior needed upgrading. It was livable but I didn't like it. To see what changes I made you can click here:

zzjea's photosets on Flickr

They have all been worth it and it looks like a new MH now ...

John
I love what you did and it does look like a new MH. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Lindsay
Old 12-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #126

National RV Owners Club
Tropical Storm KAREN

We had travel to Florida in oct this year for a start of our fall rv trip. The main reason was a seafood festival in Destin. Due to expected storm all the weekend events were cancelled and we found ourselves too much time on our hands so we went looking at RVs something most of you know about.

We'd had our 3rd MH, one class C and 2 Class A but no slide. The storm turned out to be 1 day of rain but we found a RV of our liking. It is a 2006 NRV Dolphin, 5342, workhorse chassis with 8.1 engine. As far as problems go not anything major but a few little things as probably most could expect.

So tired after spending 4-5 hours moving everything from old to new to us we miss our reservations for that night and spent it in a walmart parking lot. The worst problem was front cock-pit shade came down half way and wouldn't go up or down. Had to strap it up with long cable ties. This is still not resolved has dealer said they would fix or replace but this model shade is not made anymore but other shade manufacture maybe possibility.
We have put over 1300 miles and enjoy the driving and camping, looking forward to next spring getting started again

Tags
georgie boy