Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #29

RVs without slides are lighter, easier to heat and cool, don't have potential leaks and don't have potential slide mechanical problems. Having said that, I wouldn't have an RV without slides, we can easily accommodate 7-8 friends for dinner or just visiting (and often do) and we usually travel with our daughter and granddaughter (both adults) + 4 dogs. Never had a leak yet going on 6 years (I keep checking) and we made sure we could still use the bed, fridge and table with both slides in. Slide problems are like a lot of things, you never hear about the tens of thousands of happy people who never had any problems, just the few who did and posted their frustration on a forum. Just my $0.02 USD..... Sort of a "sour grapes" approach.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
No slides.

Served 8 mature adults drinks and sit down 3 course dinner inside one rainy evening.

The event lasted about 3.5 hours with no one in a hurry to go home due to crowding.

And all the guests had slides in their rigs to go home to.

But our dog had to stay in the car!

1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #31

We bought our 2001Airstream 30' without slide because it was best value for size, condition and layout. It has worked very well for us. No problem with another couple traveling and hanging out with us for the day. Usually just us, our two pugs and a Boston. Had slides in my previouse tt and they were nice but gave more room than I usually needed.
dateem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #32

I am very happy without slides. If I could afford a quad slide tag axle DP I would have bought one. But not yet. I wanted the towing and mountain pass performance of a DP at a gasser price. So it was no slides for me. I could not be happier. People walk right past my buddies double slide gasser's to admire my old CC (that I paid less for).

94 CC Affinity
Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No slides works for us (DW myself and 2 small dogs). We are not full timers.
I bought this one in 2010 and like it so much I don't have any plans to upgrade. For me no slides are in line with my Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) philosophy.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No slides on mine, plenty of room for the 2 of us.

Amusing that the thread asks who doesn't have slides, and a gang drops in to explain why they have slides
Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
My currrent motorhome has slides, but I hate them and am wanting to trade for one with no slides said no one ever.
Well, this doesn't quite qualify, but my current fifth-wheel has slides, and if and when we get a motorhome I hope to convince DW to consider one with no slides.

To me, slides are an easy way to compensate for poor design in terms of layout. Too many units, including ours, are not very liveable with the slides in. I've also had problems with the living room slide on the fifth-wheel extending. I always have to crawl underneath and manually get it started. I'm also a big fan of simpler design and reduced potential for leaking and mechanical problems. But if DW insists on slides, I'm flexible because I know she won't insist on full wall slides or having four slides. Even for her, that's too much of a good thing.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
my Motorhome doesn't have slides... and I don't miss them... yet. Not sure I want one with them.... one more thing to be aware of when finding the perfect picnic spot...LOL! It's just me hubby and the dog, and I plan to keep it that way...went with a small rig that only sleeps 2 comfortably on purpose so the kids wouldn't want to come along... if they do... I tell them they have to bring a tent. We eat outside as much as possible because we like to. Are we cozy in there... you bet...but I like it that way. Not full timers, not even planning to ever be... but after I retire, I'll be out more often, probably with just the dog.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
It is just the two of us and this coach is really set up for just two people (the coach does fold out for a second bed).
I find it more than adequate for the two of us without slides.
It seems to me people have a lot of problems with slides as I am constantly seeing posts on stuck slides or slides that are not working right or with leaks.
GlennLever
My "no slide coach" is satisfactory.
In fact, because I've never "fixed", (and will never have to fix), a "slide problem", it is more than satisfactory.

If we need more space we simply stay home.
Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sounds like the DW wants a new/newer unit with slides. If that is the case you are sunk. LOL
and that is why we now own a newer class A with 2 slides. My downsize plan did not last even 1 day after we were looking at newer coaches.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #39

No slides for us but was due to great price.

Almost traded newer for 2 slide unit but dealer would not vome to our offer.

We went just to look for ideas for projects to do to ours and shop the clearance sale in the parts dept...sales guy intercepted us and wasted a lof of time but we did get to test drive a newer unit...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #40

We too are in another non slide coach, our second, both Foretravels. We have spent some 300+ nights in 3 years, and 7 weeks of that with a third guest for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Temps from 100's down to 10 degrees, always comfortable, no squeaks, rattles, leaks or issues.

We are set and happy, we have plenty of room, serve everyone that wants to come on board for drinks, or meals.

Maybe we just have lowered our standards after all the motorcyle camping, sailing trips, and 17 years with a VW Camper.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
This may be slightly off topic but does anyone think that manufacturers will stop building MH without slides?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
This may be slightly off topic but does anyone think that manufacturers will stop building MH without slides?
No.
There will always be those that don't need/want slides, power awnings, air conditioning, water heaters, generators, hydraulic levelers...but are they buying new motorhomes?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide