Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #43
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
This may be slightly off topic but does anyone think that manufacturers will stop building MH without slides?
No, but it was a nice surprise when Winnebago reintroduced the new Brave with the model 26A having no slides. The other 2 models do come with them, but it would be great to have the option to go either way.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #44
Monaco Owners Club
I had no slides for 16 years (1996 Southwind) and loved it. The MH did not require any set up when pulling over in rest stops for coffee and wasn't crowded with the slides when traveling down the road. Never felt the need for slides when I had my Southwind. Now I have 3 slides. They are fine and do provide more room but it's difficult to get around when the slides are closed and good luck getting to the rear closet or some rear cabinets when the slides are in.. Still - you get used to what you have and there are plusses each way.

NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #45
Rexhall Owners Group
We have a no slide 32 foot gasser. We removed the sofa and built a storage bench that doubles as a single bed. We also removed the large recliner and put an IKEA drop leaf table top in it's place. That's where my computer goes when we set up. Lastly, we removed half of the dinette which opened up the kitchen area significantly. Plenty of room for two people. My only complaint is the RV queen bed. Not enough room to make it larger. I'd prefer a king and if we buy another it will be a bit longer and have a king bed.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #46
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 1995 HR Navigator 38 footer with no slides. It is far from being cramped. Never have had that closed in feeling. Very comfortable even when entertaining as many as four other people at the same time. Can move around without much difficulty. More then enough storage space both inside & outside cargo bays.
cvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #47
No slides for me please. One more thing to leak, break, maintain. If we fulltimed perhaps I would feel differently. I wish at least one manufacturer still made a small (30 ft) class a with no slides.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #48
Thor Owners Club
We are on our 5th coach. The first two had no slides. The 2nd one, a 1993 Sportscoach, we kept 19 years - had no slides and during all that time did not miss them. I think that may have been the last production year before most manufacturers began to build slide rooms. We are now on our 3rd coach WITH slides - we've been fortunate so far, have had no problems with slide operation, although we did have a leak around the lower gasket (easily fixed). Would we ever go back to a coach with no slides? I doubt it
Ed [N4RWU] Taylor (Becky), Mistie (4 legger)
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Former Thor Palazzo 33.2
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #49
Fleetwood Owners Club
If I was living in our MH, I would want slides. But to travel the way we do, its mostly just a traveling bed and kitchen. When we are parked, we are mostly outside!
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #50
Evergreen Owners Club
2nd season with our first Trailer with no slides. I know our second one, whenever that comes will have slides.
evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slides or no slides

Admittedly this is our first MH but we never had slides in our TTers either.
When we started looking for our "FullTime" Unit I had not determined yet if it had to have slides and was not sure If it would fit the budget since we wanted a high end Diesel Pusher with diesel genset W/D low miles, age not so important but cheap, so you can't have it all...... or can you, 2000 American Eagle, Two slides and everything else we wanted!
Yes I've already had to replace a shear-pin in the Bedroom slide but I do not see any signs of leaks, We love the layout even when they are in, i.e. no problem making quick stops for lunch or coffee and feeling squished its still a very spacious layout!
Except maybe in the bedroom where you cannot get along one side of the bed with the slide in.
We've spend a few short camp outs where we had to be inconspicuous and kept the slides and awnings in and it was no hardship believe me, lots of room!

best regards,
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #52
I have had both.... I will admit the MH without slides was very comfy and functional. .... I will admit the MH with slides is very comfy and also functional when closed. ...

I have seen RV's that are non-functional when the slides are in....these are not for me. ..
2002 National Dolphin 5355, W22
shoreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #53
Monaco Owners Club
Slides dont provide us with extra or larger furniture they dont provide more counter space... all they provide is some extra floor space.. for our two full size dogs we need it otherwise unless we have a party that requires a dance floor I dont get it.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #54
We have run for years with no slides. A few of my buddies have them and it seems to be a big bragging right for them over me (I let them have their fun,,,) I had one of their wives tell a passerby that commented on how nice my coach was,,, "well it's nice,, but it doesn't have any slides" LOL. Since we motocross race and are always traveling to and from tracks with "Wal Mart" parking lot over nighters in between I find we have the right unit. If our friends with slides stop with us they cant use their units until they put the slides out. I think what it really boils down to is what you are using the unit for. If its long stay parks and such then slides are a must. If it's like we use our unit for then slides are not needed. Look at any entertainers coach and you probably won't find many with slide outs.

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2015 Brave - No Slides

We just picked up our new Winnebago Brave. The Brave is offered in two versions: 26A (no slide) and 27B (with slide). We have only 2 people the space was adequate. Another factor frankly was that we had bad experiences with the slide on a previous vehicle (leaks) and if we didn't need the space, no need to need the problems.

Jim & Sandra Tudor & Dixie (American Bulldog)
Newborn, Georgia - Georgia Winnie Rebels WIT Club
2015 Winnebago Brave 26A - 5 Star Tuning - TruCenter
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #56
Winnebago Owners Club
How many people out there have NO slides

I have owned my 2011 Winnebago for three years and 25,000 miles. Three slides operated by a beefy PowerGear slide system (not Lippert/shwintek junk) and have never had the slightest problem. Tight as a drum, no leaks, can extend or retract them with or without the jacks out level or not - doesn't matter, works flawlessly every time.

Also the rig is designed such that it is 100% usable and comfortable withOUT extending the slides if necessary. Walk through bathroom and refrig and everything else is completely accessible with the slides in. Great design.

I wouldn't consider a rig without slides, ours is so much more comfortable with slides extended and allows use of reclining couches and sitting areas. Super.

If you choose slides avoid Lippert and look for quality design and build and you'll have no problems.

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote