Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Slideouts are a nice invention but they are notorious for leaking. I dont know anyone who has not had some kind of leak on their slides...

Well you do now!

Nice to meet you! :-) :-) :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #58

My Bounder does not have any slides. I do not use it as a traveling house.... I use it as a cycling platform and it is more like a nice big locker room inside. Slides might be nice and add space to move bicycles around....but not fully necessary from my standpoint and use of the vehicle.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350
Slideouts are a nice invention but they are notorious for leaking. I dont know anyone who has not had some kind of leak on their slides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Well you do now!

What I meant to say was I only know one person who has not had slide issues
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
It appears everyone who bought a coach without slides has . . . . . wait for it . . . .

NO SLIDES

While no slides may have some advantages with maintenance and leaks there is a trade off for space and possibly comfort. We all make the decision based on personal values and needs.

Having no slides or slides should not be a badge of honor or considered a unique feature that sets one group apart from the other. We are all RV'ers and as such we are a special group of people who enjoy a great lifestyle.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350

What I meant to say was I only know one person who has not had slide issues

Well now you know two!

Again, nice to meet you!

Cheers!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well now you know two!

Again, nice to meet you!

Cheers!
Nice to meet you mr only one I know who has had no slide issues
Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #63

no slides

I started with a 1978 coachman class c had 3 small kids , then a 1984 winne class a 30ft. Wife wanted more room we got a 1996 Coachman DP wide body 102" class a 34 ft had the DP for 8 years. We quit rving for a couple years and got the bug again and looked for another coach. We did not want a booth in the coach we looked for almost a year we found just what we wanted a 1996 Allegro gas class a 29 ft no slide. Never owned a coach with a slide, had friends that though they had to have slides but they have had problems with the slides and found they were difficult to move around in while traveling down the road. keep them shining
Old 10-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just sold our first RV that didn't have slides. We thought it had plenty of room, it's my wife, two boys and two dogs. Only reason we sold it is that it wouldn't tow either one of our vehicles. The new rig we bought has two slides, it does give us more room with the kiddos but I had a prerequisite, had to be able to be fully functional with the slides in, which it is. I think it really comes down to what you want and what you're willing to deal with, a little less room or the possibilities of leaks, I'll just keep an eye out for the leaks.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Well you do now!

x 2, nice to meet you as well,
maybe you are hanging with the wrong crowd lol
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #66
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=JimGeorgia;2276820]We just picked up our new Winnebago Brave. The Brave is offered in two versions: 26A (no slide) and 27B (with slide). We have only 2 people the space was adequate. Another factor frankly was that we had bad experiences with the slide on a previous vehicle (leaks) and if we didn't need the space, no need to need the problems.

Love the look of your new Winnebago Brave!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe we should poll how many have never had issues with their slides. I have now met two. I also wonder how many dont realise they have leaky slides because they dont check the carpets at each corner. And will eventually find out when there slide turns to mush. The slide is a great invention but very poorly constructed.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #68

Quote:
Maybe we should poll how many have never had issues with their slides. I have now met two. I also wonder how many dont realise they have leaky slides because they dont check the carpets at each corner. And will eventually find out when there slide turns to mush. The slide is a great invention but very poorly constructed.
\

We invested in quality slide toppers, not difficult to see water on tile floor, last time I check the slide was steel construction, will be a while even with a leak before it turns to mush, no problems with hydraulics on front slides or electric on bedroom, I guess with everything, there is quality products that last and perform as they should and others that don't, slides are not the issue, it is the quality of the components and the maintenance of same that makes the difference.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a TT with a slide and no problems and we now have a MH with two slides and so far, no problem. We do enjoy the extra room. One thing we look at when considering a slide is the functionality without extending the slides. In both cases we have been able to function with the slides in. (In the MH some drawers in bedroom will not open) We can stop overnight at Walmart (or other parking lot) and not extend slides.
For us, the extra room is worth the extra weight.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think Moxy said it the best= We invested in quality slide toppers, not difficult to see water on tile floor, last time I check the slide was steel construction, will be a while even with a leak before it turns to mush, no problems with hydraulics on front slides or electric on bedroom, I guess with everything, there is quality products that last and perform as they should and others that don't, slides are not the issue, it is the quality of the components and the maintenance of same that makes the difference.

Moxy

If you look at all the used MH's out there for sale w/slides, and find one with no issues, it will be one of just a few manufactures! I am not wanting to start a manufactures war on this thread, but from what I have noticed, this is the case! So for me, since I am a part time, full timer, I can not justify a 100,000 to 200,000 dollar coach to just sit and wait for me to get back in the country, slides or not, it is just not practical! I am only in the country for a few months a year, and if and when I decide to full time, it will be in a coach with slides, or not, and now I have none! So if you have slides, you best keep a eye on them every time it rain's, check the seals regularly. And enjoy the extra room they give you! Moxy said it best!

Rail!

Tags
slide