Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #85

What a relief!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocja01 View Post
We just sold our first RV that didn't have slides. We thought it had plenty of room, it's my wife, two boys and two dogs. Only reason we sold it is that it wouldn't tow either one of our vehicles. The new rig we bought has two slides, it does give us more room with the kiddos but I had a prerequisite, had to be able to be fully functional with the slides in, which it is. I think it really comes down to what you want and what you're willing to deal with, a little less room or the possibilities of leaks, I'll just keep an eye out for the leaks.
What a relief. I just stumbled across this post. I bought the old Rig without slides. SO HAPPY to see that brocja01 didn't say found a sucker!!
As for no slides. for us its mainly just my wife and the two pups. (although the youngest is now saying she wants to tag along some)
I was initially thinking a slide for sure then we had some discussion and determined either a Big class C or a nice class A would fit us well. So far Happy with the Pace Arrow. I just need to get some road time in!!

One thing that concerns me on the slides...." How does the RV corner with thse things hanging out!!!???"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Gerard View Post
What a relief. I just stumbled across this post. I bought the old Rig without slides. SO HAPPY to see that brocja01 didn't say found a sucker!!
As for no slides. for us its mainly just my wife and the two pups. (although the youngest is now saying she wants to tag along some)
I was initially thinking a slide for sure then we had some discussion and determined either a Big class C or a nice class A would fit us well. So far Happy with the Pace Arrow. I just need to get some road time in!!

One thing that concerns me on the slides...." How does the RV corner with thse things hanging out!!!???"
What year PA did you buy?
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

That's what the mirrors are for. You just take the corners a bit wider !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #88

No slides for me. a few main reasons are:

1) We spend a lot of time traveling and don't stay put for an extended amount of time. The ease of set up/take down without slides is nice.

2) budget.... To stay within our budget, we would have had to look at lower quality builds. By purchasing a non slide older vehicle, we were able to afford a top quality manufacturer.

3) we spend a significant time in cold weather. Slides mean more heat loss and possibility for drafts. Also, they don't do well in heavy snowfall (always clearing snow off toppers, etc).

4) if we make a quick stop for the night, it's easier to be incognito without slides.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #89

Spritz it's a 1997. on a 1996 P32 chassis. (Iam feeling so proud that I now know its a P32 chassis and not really a workhorse....now if I can only learn what that really means!!!)
Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #90
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't buy cars with power windows....because you know, they will probably go bad...dang new inventions!

I did buy a motor home with slides so that when I camp I can leave them in and then complain about no walk around space inside! We do a lot of walking around while driving, so I guess we better sell

We quit camping and just store the motor home because everywhere we go, coaches with slides won't fit!

My coach is 45' long and I can entertain 10, I don't need slides.....oh yeah, I'm 45' long!

Some of the justifications for owning a coach with no slides really sound silly when you think about it. Just be honest as to why you have the coach you have.....budget, rarely used, only two of us, won't fit where we typically camp. Many expressed these exact reasons while others had to make it sound like slides are the scourge of the RV world.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #91

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Spritz it's a 1997. on a 1996 P32 chassis. (Iam feeling so proud that I now know its a P32 chassis and not really a workhorse....now if I can only learn what that really means!!!)
X's 2
I have seen it written that there isn't a P30.

I have been asked at service centers if I Have a P 30. Its listed on several auto parts stores listing a P-30
If there isn't a P30 why are they listed as a P-30 as for the workhorse I have found it listed there also and on the flip side some don't list Workhorse but just listed under Chevrolets
Tim
Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #92

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Some of the justifications for owning a coach with no slides really sound silly when you think about it. Just be honest as to why you have the coach you have.....budget, rarely used, only two of us, won't fit where we typically camp. Many expressed these exact reasons while others had to make it sound like slides are the scourge of the RV world.
Ouch, I had to reread my post to make sure it wasn't silly. Nope. I don't think it's silly. I just responded to the question. How many have no nslide motorhomes?

But honestly Don, it sounds like you're offended by some of the responses. Why?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Ouch, I had to reread my post to make sure it wasn't silly. Nope. I don't think it's silly. I just responded to the question. How many have no nslide motorhomes?

But honestly Don, it sounds like you're offended by some of the responses. Why?

As a non slide owner I'm going to step in and say that I don't perceive Don as being defensive.... I think he's simply pointing out the fact that people generally justify, defend, try to see the best in their situation.... Sometimes beyond logic.

If I could afford the same quality build as I currently have, set up for long term stays, and don't spend a majority of the time in snowy weather, how could I argue against slides.

I actually appreciated Don's presentation and pithy statements.

Well, better get going..... I need to go roll up my manual crank windows and build up my arm muscles.... Have fun you power window loving noodle arm sell outs...😜
Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This discussion is starting to look like the gas versus diesel forum: one of those that will go on as long as there are two configurations. Rather than spending so much on the virtues of each "slide", let's simply enjoy our purchase decisions. Let's instead spend our discussion time on something we can all agree on.....like maybe religion or politics....lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
How many people out there have NO slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
No slides for me. a few main reasons are:

1) We spend a lot of time traveling and don't stay put for an extended amount of time. The ease of set up/take down without slides is very nice....

huh? I don't understand that argument. Takes me less than five minutes and all the "effort" of pushing a button from inside the coach to extend or retract the slides. I don't even need the jacks out (which is just another button to press) In order to extend them. Never have to even go outside.

Also, my coach is 100% livable if I choose not to extend them (which is rare).

Cheers!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
X's 2
I have seen it written that there isn't a P30.

I have been asked at service centers if I Have a P 30. Its listed on several auto parts stores listing a P-30
If there isn't a P30 why are they listed as a P-30 as for the workhorse I have found it listed there also and on the flip side some don't list Workhorse but just listed under Chevrolets
Tim
Our last coach was a 1992 Pace Arrow, and it was on a P-30 chassis. The P-32 came later--can't tell you exactly when.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We take and use our motorhome into freezing temperatures. It's our mobile ski warming hut. When it's freezing out, the two slides stay in.

In nice weather, the slides are extended, and we have MUCH more room.

Selecting a motorhome with a good floorplan that allows movement with the slides retracted in, (making their extension optional), was important for our use.

The OP mentioned all the posts about slide problems. That's the whole point of an RV forum, a place to ask questions about problems.

I can't recall a random post on this or any other RV forum about someone raving about how well their slides work, without leaking, and no mechanical issues! And, I don't expect to see too many of those kinds of posts anytime soon.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #98

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
We take and use our motorhome into freezing temperatures. It's our mobile ski warming hut. When it's freezing out, the two slides stay in.

In nice weather, the slides are extended, and we have MUCH more room.

Selecting a motorhome with a good floorplan that allows movement with the slides retracted in, (making their extension optional), was important for our use.

The OP mentioned all the posts about slide problems. That's the whole point of an RV forum, a place to ask questions about problems.

I can't recall a random post on this or any other RV forum about someone raving about how well their slides work, without leaking, and no mechanical issues! And, I don't expect to see too many of those kinds of posts anytime soon.

LOL They didn't have them back in 82??? Did they? I'm slideless and don't miss um.
Tim
oops my awnings are hand crank and pull downs...

Tags
slide