Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
huh? I don't understand that argument. Takes me less than five minutes and all the "effort" of pushing a button from inside the coach to extend or retract the slides. I don't even need the jacks out (which is just another button to press) In order to extend them. Never have to even go outside.

Also, my coach is 100% livable if I choose not to extend them (which is rare).

Cheers!

Valid critique. I will say that this point I made doesn't stand alone. Even though it's only a 5 minute process or so, still one more thing to do. That said, if that was the only thing that was holding me back from having slides, I'd have slides!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
We take and use our motorhome into freezing temperatures. It's our mobile ski warming hut..

Awesome! This makes up about 90% of my RV use!

Old 12-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We had slides on our must have list for bus #2, nbut then we saw the layout for the Safari and changed our mind.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Awesome! This makes up about 90% of my RV use!

Awesome Rob, love to hear more about that as we'd like to do the same!

As I said, luckily with our floorplan we are 100% livable slides in. Just like to extend the key size bed headboard slide which is small, but can still use it with even that slide in.

Like to take it skiing this winter.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #103

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
This discussion is starting to look like the gas versus diesel forum: one of those that will go on as long as there are two configurations. Rather than spending so much on the virtues of each "slide", let's simply enjoy our purchase decisions. Let's instead spend our discussion time on something we can all agree on.....like maybe religion or politics....lol
Great idea Jim. Include me as long as the discussion is limited to gas owners.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #104

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the question is "How many people out there have NO slides?", why are those with slides posting? One would think that those with slides would have nothing constructive to contribute to the QUESTION.
But on to the question. Our 95 33' Bounder has no slides. The wife and I feel that we have plenty of room. Maybe its because we like each other.

Richard
Old 12-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #105

The people who don't have slides fall into two classes. Those who like the simpler less complex manner of RV'ing like in the old days, and those who had slides, don't like the hassles and have gone back to simplicity.
I imagine it is against a rule of some sort to stay with the basics because we are taught that more is always better. It's not.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #106

We've had slides and non-slides. Both have their pluses. We loved the slide in our small Class C, it made a huge difference in living space. When we decided to go bigger and get a Class A we didn't want to pay a huge amount of money in case we decided Class A was not for us. So we bought older, good quality, non-slide. It's so much bigger all around than our Class C that we haven't missed the slide at all. But if we ever decide to go small again, I think probably we will look for a coach with a slide-out. So much of the time the choice just comes down to circumstances and budget.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The people who don't have slides fall into two classes. Those who like the simpler less complex manner of RV'ing like in the old days, and those who had slides, don't like the hassles and have gone back to simplicity.

...And those that never had them and don't realize most work without a single problem the entire life of the motorhome, while providing a much more livable, open floorplan.

To each his own!

Cheers!
Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Awesome Rob, love to hear more about that as we'd like to do the same!

As I said, luckily with our floorplan we are 100% livable slides in. Just like to extend the key size bed headboard slide which is small, but can still use it with even that slide in.

Like to take it skiing this winter.

Our rig does great as a mobile ski lodge! You'll have a great time skiing with yours. Depending on what weather you run into, the slides probably won't give you any grief. I have friends with slides that go skiing and as long as the weather isn't too cold (like single digits or less) and there isn't a crazy blizzard they do fine. During extreme cold they bring the slides in to conserve heat. When it's blowing snow, I've seen the wind force snow through the slide and into cabinetry, etc. Also, have to keep the slide toppers clear of accumulating too much snow.
Where do you plan to go?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingirl View Post
We've had slides and non-slides. Both have their pluses. We loved the slide in our small Class C, it made a huge difference in living space. When we decided to go bigger and get a Class A we didn't want to pay a huge amount of money in case we decided Class A was not for us. So we bought older, good quality, non-slide. It's so much bigger all around than our Class C that we haven't missed the slide at all. But if we ever decide to go small again, I think probably we will look for a coach with a slide-out. So much of the time the choice just comes down to circumstances and budget.
All to often we look for answers other than the real or most up front answer. We stared with a class "C" 27". It was fine while we were deciding if camping was something we really wanted to do. We were able to sell it for twice what we had paid for it. Yes we did do a fair amount of upgrades so it wasn't all profit. We then bought the class "C" and it was. 31". We enjoyed it and other family members began camping with us. During any inclement weather ours was the gathering spot. While we could not afford a new MH by any means we knew we could comfortably upgrade to a newer and hopefully bigger unit. Due to some storage restrictions for us the length needed to pretty much remain the same. Getting bigger sideways was an excellent compromise for us. So after 3 years with our other MH we sold it and found a new to us one with what we wanted and yes it was what we could afford.

So yes often times it probably is about affordability, it was partially why we now have slides. Can you even buy new now without slides?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #110

We have three slides and love the room...however that being said I wouldn't think twice about swapping ours for a gently used Prevost of the same year without slides. But that will never happen!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #111
KAS

We have a 36 foot RV without any slides. When the renovations are done, the back area will be a bunk room and play area for the kids and sleep four, and there will be a folding bed up front for us. It has been a challenge to renovate and include everything we need and eliminate what we really do not need.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #112

We have a 95 35ft Rexhall Aerbus with an unusual layout and no slides. The living room, galley, and bed room are large and roomy. We have only had it a year and used it for 4 weeks and 2000 miles but it seems to be big enough for us to live in and to entertain in.

Tags
slide