Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 AM   #29

Steve on the Outlaw Forum told me I should check this forum out too. I've raced in SCCA with a 1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Bugeye) since 1971. I pull the trailer with a 2007 Damon Outlaw. The garage is just a tad to short to put the car in. Our local tracks are Sears Point, Laguna Seca and Thunderhill although I've raced in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada as well as California. The garage does let me carry all my tools and my bike tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCCA Runoffs Laguna Seca 2014 4440.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	84737   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCCA Runoffs Laguna Seca 2014 4468.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	84738  

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	84739  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINOPOWER1 View Post
Do you have a pic handy?
I don't have a picture but it is hard to tell the difference without a tape measure. The tongue looks the same, it is just a little further forward away from the trailer. I think traditional trailer tongues are in the 44-50" range (48" being a standard) and the RV tongue is in the 55-60" range. That is really the only difference but it is enough to avoid contact on a sharp turn.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #31

I just joined, and i do not even have my MH yet, i purchased a 2001 Itasca Horizon and will not pick it up for a week or two, weather dependent. I Road race with SCCA Spec Miata, i will pull my 24' enclosed trailer. Will need to modify the hitch and going to use a wireless controller. so I check back in with some pictures.

I have been reading on the forum as i have no MH experience and need to get the lay of the land.
Frank.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #32
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I just joined, and i do not even have my MH yet, i purchased a 2001 Itasca Horizon and will not pick it up for a week or two, weather dependent. I Road race with SCCA Spec Miata, i will pull my 24' enclosed trailer. Will need to modify the hitch and going to use a wireless controller. so I check back in with some pictures.

I have been reading on the forum as i have no MH experience and need to get the lay of the land.
Frank.
Welcome, keep us informed

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I don't have a picture but it is hard to tell the difference without a tape measure. The tongue looks the same, it is just a little further forward away from the trailer. I think traditional trailer tongues are in the 44-50" range (48" being a standard) and the RV tongue is in the 55-60" range. That is really the only difference but it is enough to avoid contact on a sharp turn.

Mike.
If there is a thread on this, can you send it there? I have been towing a 40 foot 5er for 10 years, and travel trailers, since 1990. So my driving skills are great. I have a pic of what I am going to be dealing with and will eventually post the two together. (I PROMISE)

From the outside corner to tip of hitch is 3 ft. 10 inches. 118 inches from the center hub on MOHO to end of bumper. a lot of the pics in here are at an angle so straight side shots would be helpful.
New Super duper Class V hitch ordered yesterday, in case I use an extension, it will handle the 1/3 weight loss for TW.
RHINOPOWER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #34
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
If there is a thread on this, can you send it there? I have been towing a 40 foot 5er for 10 years, and travel trailers, since 1990. So my driving skills are great. I have a pic of what I am going to be dealing with and will eventually post the two together. (I PROMISE)

From the outside corner to tip of hitch is 3 ft. 10 inches. 118 inches from the center hub on MOHO to end of bumper. a lot of the pics in here are at an angle so straight side shots would be helpful.
New Super duper Class V hitch ordered yesterday, in case I use an extension, it will handle the 1/3 weight loss for TW.
Wow, I would be concerned about pulling that behind a pickup.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #35

It does good behind my pickup, and can get a pretty good angle backing it in the driveway. Anyplace I go with this trailer won't require tight corners. Mostly Desert in big flat areas.
RHINOPOWER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #36
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
It does good behind my pickup, and can get a pretty good angle backing it in the driveway. Anyplace I go with this trailer won't require tight corners. Mostly Desert in big flat areas.
My comment was that the trailer is close, putting that behind a motor home with a large overhang from the rear axle to the trailer hitch is ify

Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I have found that if you take the width of the tow vehicle, divide that in half and then add between 6-8 inches for a total tongue length, that seems to be pretty damn close. This is also somewhat dependent on how far the actual ball mount is from the back of the coach. Some hitches are up under the coach quite a distance, therefore the figure would need to be increased.

I will measure my trailer and snap a picture or two next time I am at it. If memory serves when I ordered my trailer in 2008 I specified that I wanted a 58" tongue length and it works perfect.

It appears the one in the picture above is a "V" nose, which with the formula I gave above can be fudged with, I would be nervous to pull that one in your picture with a coach.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love my Newmar Dutch Star at the track, only way to enjoy multi day events.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Personally, I have found that if you take the width of the tow vehicle, divide that in half and then add between 6-8 inches for a total tongue length, that seems to be pretty damn close. This is also somewhat dependent on how far the actual ball mount is from the back of the coach. Some hitches are up under the coach quite a distance, therefore the figure would need to be increased.

I will measure my trailer and snap a picture or two next time I am at it. If memory serves when I ordered my trailer in 2008 I specified that I wanted a 58" tongue length and it works perfect.

It appears the one in the picture above is a "V" nose, which with the formula I gave above can be fudged with, I would be nervous to pull that one in your picture with a coach.

Mike.
I agree on the tongue length, I have 60" and backing I have to be very careful not to get into the corner with 60". I believe you can have the tongue extended on the trailer however.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like this post

Got to search for pictures though....not sure if I have any of the current rig.

2004 H/R Admiral SE Workhorse towing a 26' Motorsport Trailer

Drag Racer racing mostly on the East Coast with the odd trip to Indy

Only have the racecar pic on this computer....got to work on the motorhome pics I guess
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	indy3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	85276  
Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #41
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Racer View Post
I like this post

Got to search for pictures though....not sure if I have any of the current rig.

2004 H/R Admiral SE Workhorse towing a 26' Motorsport Trailer

Drag Racer racing mostly on the East Coast with the odd trip to Indy

Only have the racecar pic on this computer....got to work on the motorhome pics I guess
What class do you run?

Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NHRA Super Stock

Tags
tow